Renewal of Vows -- is it private, or a group? What to wear?

VennDiagram

Thinking about doing a Renewal of Vows next year.

Can anyone tell me if when you did it -- was it you and your spouse and invited guests, or was it several couples doing the renewal at the same time? If it was several couples, did you get at least part of the ceremony devoted just to you?

What did you and your spouse wear? And if it was several couples, was everyone dressed in a similar fashion, e.g., suits, cocktail dresses, tuxes, wedding gowns.....

Not sure we want to do it on a ship if there will be several other couples doing their vow renewal at the same time, especially since we are considering inviting some family and friends to join us.

It depends. Just no way to predict how many will be doing it.

We did ours on the Maasdam in Oct (last sailing of the NE/Canada season and we were the only ones (plus they said we were the only ones to do it all season long, so they made it extra special for us)!

Our friends did in on a 5 day Coastal with two other couples.

Both times it was a very nice event and handled very well by the Captain and crew - they really want to make it special.

I higher recommend this renewal, especial for a special anniversary. You will not regret the money spent (best deal on HAL in my opinion).

They usually hold this on a formal/gala evening as most people dress up (suit and tie). Not sure what is required, but anything less than a sport coat and tie and you will feel a bit out of place.

Yes, part of the ceremony is dedicated just to you.

I know 10f4 did this and posted pics. It was just them in the ceremony is I recall correctly and they were all dressed beautifully.

I will do some searching and see if I can find the thread for you. It was very detailed and I think would be very helpful :)

Numbers do depend upon how many sign up, but I know they loved it.

We have done it twice! (double brownie points :hearteyes:).

First time there was one other couple and neither of us had guests. Each couple had a private 'renewal' with the Captain and then a conversation with Captain and event organiser.

Second time it was us only, and we had a wonderful evening including a long conversation with the Captain.

Both times were held on the final formal (as it was then) night. DW wore her 'Mother of the Bride' outfit that she had worn to our youngest daughter's wedding a few months previous and I wore a tux.

Every time a thread come up about ROV we get out the photo albums that we received after the events, and enjoy reliving two wonderful evenings.

We did it on the Noordam in 2010..There were several other couples doing the ROV at the same time we did ours, but the Captain did each couple with their guests individually.. We had our four best Friends with us & it was beautifully done..

When we did ours there was a lovely couple from Manila doing it too.. They had their whole family there & all were dressed in white, including the children & babies.. It was lovely to see.. It was done on a Formal night.. The Captain visited with each couple before the ceremony, & then called us up with our guests.. Be sure to get your pictures taken prior to the ceremony.. We did not & the only pic we have was with me in tears.. I look terrible when I'm crying..:loudcry:LOL You will get flowers, a cake & a lovely album with your picture in it.. It was memorable.. I wore my "Mother of the groom dress" & DH wore a dark suit, or his Tux.?

Edited by serendipity1499

Thanks for all the replies :) They are very helpful.

Every time a thread come up about ROV we get out the photo albums that we received after the events, and enjoy reliving two wonderful evenings.

VMax1700, I'm happy I've triggered such lovely memories!

Be sure to get your pictures taken prior to the ceremony.. We did not & the only pic we have was with me in tears.

Serendipity1499, then our Renewal picture would match all our wedding pictures -- me in tears. Happy tears, of course, but certainly not glamorous or photogenic tears ;)

We have done this three times, all on the Prinsendam. The Captain decided each time when the renewal would be and the social hostess notified us. Each time we were the only ones doing so. We have always felt free to personalize the service, adding our own vows. The first two times were in the Captain's quarters. The latest was in our cabin.

It was very personal and lovely each time. My husband wore a suit and I wore a handmade Indian coat that has very special memories for us. Why so many times? The first we were celebrating the end of my chemo. The second, the fact that my husband has remained in good health. And the third, celebrating the fact that we are both still in reasonably good health after twelve years of challenges. I hope you truly enjoy your ROV.

We have many wonderful memories of them.

Thanks for the memories Kazu. Nice way to start my day!

Actually, there was another couple but the only time you are together is the time spent talking to the captain at the beginning while you are served champagne or a non alcoholic beverage. Each ceremony is just your party as is your dinner in the pinnacle grill.

It was a lovely memory.

We have done it twice! (double brownie points :hearteyes:).

First time there was one other couple and neither of us had guests. Each couple had a private 'renewal' with the Captain and then a conversation with Captain and event organiser.

Second time it was us only, and we had a wonderful evening including a long conversation with the Captain.

Both times were held on the final formal (as it was then) night. DW wore her 'Mother of the Bride' outfit that she had worn to our youngest daughter's wedding a few months previous and I wore a tux.

Most of the Captains get pleasure doing gthe ROV ceremonies and want it to be speical for the couples. I think they take it quite seriously.

Most of the Captains get pleasure doing gthe ROV ceremonies and want it to be speical for the couples. I think they take it quite seriously.

We are seriously thinking of doing this for our 25th this fall, we will also be earning another star, so much to celebrate. thanks for the input.

sevigny, thank you! Especially for the way you dressed, in something meaningful to you. Congratulations on having reasons to celebrate!

kazu, thanks for the link. 1of4, I love the tartan sash. And Capt Rowden did your renewal? Lovely!

Thanks again to all who shared your personal memories about the Renewal of Vows. I have lots to consider now! :D

. ..does anyone happen to know if you can choose to have your Pinnacle celebration dinner any night you wish?

Yes, you can. As a matter of fact, the advice usually given here is to have your Pinnacle dinner some night other than the night of the renewal of vows. That way neither ends up being rushed to allow for the other.

We are taking a family cruise to Alaska in September celebrating my parents' 50th. A not so subtle hint to my Father would be a great surprise for my Mother. How do you go about signing up or "ordering" this. I have never seen it offered.

Thanks!

We are taking a family cruise to Alaska in September celebrating my parents' 50th. A not so subtle hint to my Father would be a great surprise for my Mother. How do you go about signing up or "ordering" this. I have never seen it offered.

Thanks!

We did it on the Noordam in 2010..At that time it was $114 per couple & guests was $12.50 each..We booked it through the Ship Services Dept. I'm not sure what the price would be today but I also was able to pick my flowers.. The package included: flowers for the bride & a boutineer (sp?) for the groom; invitations to the ceremony;Hors d'oevres & champagne; certificate at ceremony;dinner for 2 in Pinnacle; & a 10 X 7 photo in an album..

They have vows which the Captain has you repeat, but if you want you can write your own vows.. We used HAL's vows as it was perfect for us..

You should be able to find info on the HAL Web site..Do you know your parents booking No. Look for it with the booking No. under gifts & indulgences, or send an e-mail.

These were the Vows which the Captain had us repeat to each other:

I come once again before you,To renew our vows of marriage. I promise to be strong in my love, Gentle in my care,Unwavering in my trust.In the name of all we have created together,And all we are yet to become,I offer you my hand As your Partner, lifetime friend,and Companion.

This is an interesting thread, thanks! Question: I've read this takes place inside the Captain's day room/office and/or in the couple's cabin. Anywhere else? Piano Bar? Queen's Lounge? Half Moon/Stuyvesant/Hudson room(s)?

Thanks!

This is an interesting thread, thanks! Question: I've read this takes place inside the Captain's day room/office and/or in the couple's cabin. Anywhere else? Piano Bar? Queen's Lounge? Half Moon/Stuyvesant/Hudson room(s)?

Thanks!

Ours took place in the Captain's Corner in the Crows Nest. The sheer curtains were pulled around and the area was decorated with flowers and wedding cake. It was really beautiful and it showed how much the crew cared to make it special.

Thanks!

Ours was held in the Captain's Corner of the Crows Nest on the Maasdam.

We did the renewal of vows ceremony on the Prinsendam and had 6 friends join us in September 2016.The Captain chose the date. My only request was that it would be on the 14 segement of our cruise when all 6 of our friends would be present. Ours was held in the Captain's quarters as the Captain on the Prinsendam has the largest quarters of most ships alfloat. Captain Gundersen had recommended years ago that HAL keep the Captain's quarters as it could be used for special events such as our renewal of 50th wedding anniversary. The Captain had a podium with the vows on it. You will receive a copy. We had champagne, appetizers and we cut a beautiful cake. Which we cut. On that cruise we selected the photo package and was glad we did as the staff photographer took quite a few photos which we were able to keep all, not just the one in the package. On the Prinsendam they also did an excellent job of printing the photos so it was worth it. The snaps our friends took weren't as good. When our time was up, our whole group went to the Pinnacle Grill for dinner. You do get two free PG meals with the package. Definitely, do it. Haven't uploaded all my photos from the cruise including the renewal of vows photo or I would share. Our friends agreed with us it was a lovely way to celebrate our milestone. Glad we did it on the Prinsendam as we were the only ones doing it. While on the Westerdam recently, they had about four couples that were renewing their vows in the Ocean Bar.