Balcony Question

mush71

No

Yes

We have never slept on the balcony but love the door opened while we are in colder weather in the fall down the Atlantic. This year we booked an inside for the first time. Will wait to see if we can deal with no balcony. The prices have gone up so much we had to try it.

Also a No, Yes. I don't think I'd try sleeping with it open again, though. Our last cruise we ran past Hurricane Sandy, so (though our balcony door was closed during the hurricane) I got a feeling of what it would be like if we were hit by a rogue wave. Yeah, highly unlikely but lesson learned.

No matter how high up your balcony is, run your finger across your rail & balcony furniture and it'll be coated with white from the ocean spray. No way we want that coming into our cabin so keep our balcony door closed.

:o Once on a Baltic Cruise, I fell asleep on our balcony watching the midnight sun with a big glass of wine. DH realized I was missing at 5 AM when he woke up and found me in a chair on our balcony wrapped up in a blanket.

Horrible case of bronchitis resulted. Don't sleep out there!!!! :o

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

I guess I'll be the first yes to sleeping on the balcony.

Had a big family reunion type cruise so the rooms were sort of "sleeping only" 4 people in each. Family in my room were snorers so in desperation me and my cousin slept on the balcony.

Not the greatest sleep, but much better then we would have had inside the room :)

Had a big family reunion type cruise so the rooms were sort of "sleeping only" 4 people in each. Family in my room were snorers so in desperation me and my cousin slept on the balcony.

Not the greatest sleep, but much better then we would have had inside the room :)

Curious as to which ship you're on - that you & cousin managed to slept on ?? - given the size of the *AWAY class's regular balcony, almost unthinkable unless both of you are small & somehow managed to squeeze. And you didn't sleep on that hard floor all night, right :eek:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/NCL%20Cruising%20-%20General/SDC8070.JPG

Noise isolating IEM would've been better to block out the noise from others :D

I also slept on the balcony due to a snoring husband. They had extra bedding under our bed and I used that to make a bed.

We are cruising on the POA at the end of October and I got us a large balcony so I can have a lounger this time lol :D

Yes to both.

We had an aft facing balcony on the last cruise, and there were lounge chairs which made it a bit more comfortable. The sound of the ocean and the breeze was astonishing. And there's nothing like waking up to the sunrise while on the water as you come in to port at Saint Thomas.

My DH slept 2 nights on the balcony because he did not like me rolling him over constantly due to snoring! We had an aft balcony on the Epic with 2 lounge chairs. The ocean was calm and the weather was magnificent. He slept like a baby and so did I :D

Back in the day they used to have 'camp out night' in the kids club on P&O. You'd get a padded lounger, blanket and pretend you were out in the wilderness. Fond memories!

I have slept on a balcony cabin lounger onboard RCI after my cabin mate had far too much to drink and was sick on my bed. Couldn't get the courage to call the steward at 4am so just dragged my stuff out. Apparently the next morning he had 'sea-sickness' that night :rolleyes:

Quite often sleep with the balcony door open (despite the number of ships with notices asking you to refrain) as I love the sound of the ocean.

I often wonder why NCL and other lines always post those pesky notices about "please keep the balcony door closed"? Probably has nothing to do with the air conditioning systems not being able to keep up or affecting the hallways and adjoining rooms. I'm thinking they just want to harass the guests? Surely there is no "real" reason to keep those doors closed?

I guess that explains how that latest published case of an intruder coming in through the balcony makes sense though.;)

No, but I tried---pushed the two chaises together but couldn't ever get them comfortable enough.:mad:

Like PPs, if it is cool out, the balcony door is open. LOVED our aft balcony 'round the horn...had to put extra blankets over us it was so cold in the room.:D During our recent Canal cruise (where we had a bow facing balcony) after we reached LA on the way to Vancouver, it was cool enough to have it open, which we did except for one night when it was so windy I was worried the chaises were going to migrate into the room.:eek:

I had my balcony door open, when my husband opened the cabin door.

Woosh, stuff went flying all over the room.

Rule of thumb, close the balcony door to avoid a wind tunnel.

A big yes to that one!

Yes. We had a good snooze on loungers on our aft balcony on the Pearl one night until our upstairs neighbors decided to be a-holes and disturb us by swinging their camera down and letting the flash go off. (not sure if they thought we were sleeping naked or just like pics of chubby people asleep, but...that was a whole different post)

No. We have never left the door open all night. On Getaway no way you could sleep if you go to bed before all the upstairs parties end. The music could still be heard through the closed door.

Curious as to which ship you're on - that you & cousin managed to slept on ?? - given the size of the *AWAY class's regular balcony, almost unthinkable unless both of you are small & somehow managed to squeeze. And you didn't sleep on that hard floor all night, right :eek:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/NCL%20Cruising%20-%20General/SDC8070.JPG

Noise isolating IEM would've been better to block out the noise from others :D

I feel bad as I honestly can't remember the ship. I want to say the Sun? It was a 4 day out of Miami.

We didn't stretch out, it was more we each took a chair, a blanket and a pillow and made the best of it.

We got a few hours as luckily the snorers were early risers and then got a few better hours back in the cabin.

I often wonder why NCL and other lines always post those pesky notices about "please keep the balcony door closed"?

"Because it is my vacation, and I will do what I want! (regardless of what signs say or how it affects anyone else) 23jpkiq.png

Isn't that the rationale people have? :p

Thanks for all of the stories!!!

It seems like there are a lot of snoring people on cruises... LOL

I remember seeing the signs the last time I was on the Pearl about the doors. We were in the Caribbean last cruise and kept the door mostly closed because it was hot.

This time we will be in Alaska and love sleeping with the windows cracked open in the winter here at home, so I wasn't sure if it was an issue.

Happy Cruising!!!!

OP - no & no

I wouldn't frown upon anyone choosing to sleep with the balcony door open. But, at least one person commented that they don't know any reason cruise lines ask us to keep them shut. There are many reasons.

Yes, AC is one of them. Energy waste is an environmental concern. They've made great strides in cutting back on this, which has eased activists complaints about cruise ships.

Another would be the damage sea breeze can do to the carpet & furniture.

I'm sure there may be more reasons, but these two alone are enough to understand their request to keep the doors shut.

I often wonder why NCL and other lines always post those pesky notices about "please keep the balcony door closed"? Probably has nothing to do with the air conditioning systems not being able to keep up or affecting the hallways and adjoining rooms. I'm thinking they just want to harass the guests? Surely there is no "real" reason to keep those doors closed?

I guess that explains how that latest published case of an intruder coming in through the balcony makes sense though.;)

We just sailed on the dawn last aug ,,, 3 times security came to our room and called us on phone to say our fire alarms were activated. It turned out t h at leaving our balcony door opened caused some air current that triggered it, repeatedly! :) weird, but true .