Missed out on an upgrade because my TA was closed!

You found yourself a TA that doesn't work for you. Fire the TA, not all TAs. Or just book direct and forget about any perks a TA throws at you. The only issue I have w/ using a TA is that overtime when we book a cruise at the Next Cruise desk while on a cruise, the TA that is listed on the current cruise is sent the reservation. Even if we request them NOT to. As the one who books the cruise, it should be I who selects the TA.

When I booked on board, I specifically said I did not want to keep the same TA. When I get home she calls me and tries to tell me that Royal called her & my cruise was cancelled, that she could take care of it though. I told her no, that I specifically said no TA. I checked and cruise was still there. I was just going to shop before transferring. After her call, I was determined not to use her again. I do not understand why if you ask to not have them listed, why Royal would do so...

The situation that you mention (highlighted above) can be avoided by signing a form that the Next Cruise Desk has that tells RCCL that you do not want (insert name of TA) to be assigned to the booking you are making. The Next Cruise desk employee should have known that....but perhaps forgot. It prevents any problem. Then you would have 60 days to determine who gets the booking, if you decide to transfer to a TA, or leave it assigned to YOU as the cruiser.

I signed that form, they STILL notified the TA.....anyway to make sure THAT does not happen?

Exactly. That is why inhave no issues referring my TA to others. She even answers emails while on a cruise. When she is away, a coworker in her office takes over so you never miss out.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

When I booked on board, I specifically said I did not want to keep the same TA. When I get home she calls me and tries to tell me that Royal called her & my cruise was cancelled, that she could take care of it though. I told her no, that I specifically said no TA. I checked and cruise was still there. I was just going to shop before transferring. After her call, I was determined not to use her again. I do not understand why if you ask to not have them listed, why Royal would do so...

This is why I always get the printed booking confirmation before I leave the cruise sales person's desk.

Then how does one find a good TA without trial and error? I believe we cannot name TAs on here - are there other sites that do?

Word of mouth, talk to your fellow cruisers during a cruise.

This is why I always get the printed booking confirmation before I leave the cruise sales person's desk.

I did just that. It did not in anyway list her or her agency, so I am completely confused as why she would have or could have been notified.

I did just that. It did not in anyway list her or her agency, so I am completely confused as why she would have or could have been notified.

Could be policy. I remember the last time I made an onboard reservation and requested no travel agent, they made me fill out and sign a form basically saying that this was my decision. I got the impression that some travel agencies may have given RC a bad time about taking bookings away from them, so RC ended up requiring the form to cover themselves. Perhaps they also have to notify.

Could be policy. I remember the last time I made an onboard reservation and requested no travel agent, they made me fill out and sign a form basically saying that this was my decision. I got the impression that some travel agencies may have given RC a bad time about taking bookings away from them, so RC ended up requiring the form to cover themselves. Perhaps they also have to notify.

Well that stinks. I live in a fairy small town and was trying to not ruffle anyone's feathers. Lol, after feeling like she was trying to "play" me, I really no longer care.

This is a problem specific to that agent, not to travel agents in general. I can reach my travel agent via email any day, any time as long as she's awake. I also have her cell phone number and can give her a call, but I try to be respectful of that.

Maybe a good test to check out an agent is to first contact them on weekends or later in the evening. If they won't return your call at those times, they likely are going to ignore you completely after booking.

That problem happened with a cruise a while back and while the agent profusely apologized, all of this "sorries" didn't get me that better cabin at a reduced price.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same issue recently. I think Royal should take care of you during off hours no matter what. It does not affect their relationship with the TA, it only strengthens the relationship with the client. That is what should matter-bottom line!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Everybody complains about missing out on a price reductions but forget about all the benefits they got when there was no reduction. For me, that number is over $10,000 over 13 years. We used to cruise a lot in balconies or higher to accumulate that type of savings.

If someone gets a really bad TA is there any way to get the reservation back from them?

I've booked directly, through TA's and transferred the booking to TA's. The one I've used the most is a large agency, I think just closed on Sunday's. I had one cruise that was a big miss, due to a family thing, and they were fantastic in getting everything changed around so we could switch to a different ship & cruise date. They do have a "cancellation/change fee" and waved it for me. Unfortunately they couldn't help with the non-refundable air and I had a very large penalty from United to make the date/destination changes.

Finally got to take that Alaska cruise last year and it also resulted in some changes (same agency). Had it booked for August, but a JS showed up on same ship for May and got it changed. I don't remember making any other changes. Flights were with SW and were easy peasy to get changed with no penalties. Didn't use Cruise Air that time.

If someone gets a really bad TA is there any way to get the reservation back from them? ...

If there are mitigating circumstances, such as the TA is non-responsive, then you may be able to convince Royal to take the booking back.

Many people book a cruise and that's that. They never check for price drops or better rooms or promotions. They are the TA's dream client but they are not most of the savvy cruisers on cruise critic. I was actually fired - yes, fired - by a TA I had used a dozen or so times. She actually told me to switch the cruise I had booked with her for a future cruise back to the cruise line because I bothered her with frequent requests for upgrades or price drops on the current cruise. (And I foolishly thought that was sort of her job, silly me!). Anyway for an inexpensive cruise I go right to the cruise line, gladly forfeiting the $50 OBC. It's not just the savings in watching prices that I love, it's the challenge provided by the "game". For a higher priced cruise line, I will search for the best booking price and OBC (which is often several hundred dollars) and hope for the best. And, no, I avoid that TA like the plague.

I have booked several cruises through a TA for some fairly substantial OBC, but for $50? :eek: No way!

Everybody complains about missing out on a price reductions but forget about all the benefits they got when there was no reduction. For me, that number is over $10,000 over 13 years. We used to cruise a lot in balconies or higher to accumulate that type of savings.

I was mostly complaining about having an inept TA, however I haven't forgotten about any benefits I got when there was no reduction as this is my first cruise on RCI.

If someone gets a really bad TA is there any way to get the reservation back from them?

My TA said, in so many words, that they were done with us and we needed to transfer back to Royal however we couldn't because it was 60 days after the booking, or something like that. Thankfully we sail this week and it'll all be over soon but they have us between a rock and a hard place because the only people who can change our reservation are unwilling to do so.

My TA said, in so many words, that they were done with us and we needed to transfer back to Royal however we couldn't because it was 60 days after the booking, or something like that.

The 60 days is to transfer it from booking on board TO the TA, not the other way around - the transfer AWAY from the TA has no time limit, just an approval/release required from the TA.

The 60 days is to transfer it from booking on board TO the TA, not the other way around - the transfer AWAY from the TA has no time limit, just an approval/release required from the TA.

Somehow I imagine the TA won't give their approval for the release.

As others have said - it's an matter of balancing TA offered discounts and services against flexibility.

My TA has notified us of price drops on the positive side. They have also missed a payment deadline nearly wiping out our entire cruise.

If you really like to monitor your own stuff carefully, I'd go direct with RCCL. If the TA savings is $100, I'd still likely go direct with RCCL.

Good luck! I believe your experience maybe common (sadly). There are good TAs out there, but with reduced commissions they are getting squeezed.