CCL Stock, where to buy

twinkle toes

I would like to purchase 100 shares of CCL stock to avail the OBC for my upcoming 15 day cruise. I would prefer to not have to go through a stockbroker. Can anyone tell me if CCL allows you to buy the stock directly from them? If so, please give the page link as I haven't been able to find anything on their website. After reading everyone's stories about their stock, it seems a no brainer that I should own it if I intend to keep cruising!

You can easily buy through an online brokerage such as Scottrade, Ameritrade, or Fidelity. Many of these have $7 stock trades or offer so many free stock trades for the first few times.

This is cheaper than going through a "real" stockbroker. I don't think you can buy direct.

Edited by Coral

i am not well versed in buying stocks but i doubt you can buy any directly…i got my CCL stock on line thru scott trade…it was my first attempt at buying stocks….the whole on line process took less than 20 minutes and even a computer challenged guy like me found it easy…. i only cussed twice during my application process.

Since then i have found charles schawb bank…if you travel a lot, their bank ATM card is awesome (NO fees anywhere) …..their stock info and purchasing is also very simple to do

Do what you want, but if you need your shares in a timely way I suggest E-trade or TD Ameritrade or some other online broker.

By the time you use a direct purchase arrangement your ship may have already sailed.

Why do you not want to use a broker? Many online brokers offer free trades for new investors, or, if there is a charge it is less than $9.95 per transaction.

At this late date, opening and funding an online account may even take more time than you have.

Have you checked for brokerage services with your bank? Their transaction fees may be higher than others, but it might be quicker to make the purchase.

Like other posts, I don't believe you can purchase the stock directly. Ours is currently through Scottrade, a very simple process. Do you have a 401k? If you do, maybe it will allow you to allocate some of your funds for CCL stock.

Edited by Jojiboy

Like other posts, I don't believe you can purchase the stock directly. Ours is currently through Scottrade, a very simple process. Do you have a 401k? If you do, maybe it will allow you to allocate some of your funds for CCL stock.

Can anyone elaborate on this? If CCL stocks are part of your 401K, this will qualify for OBC when you cruise? How would one prove this to Princess? Has anyone here done that?

Can anyone elaborate on this? If CCL stocks are part of your 401K, this will qualify for OBC when you cruise? How would one prove this to Princess? Has anyone here done that?

Here's how it works with my Fidelity 401k. I use the money in my cash fund and purchase the stock that I want. The stock shows up on my monthly on-line statements. I print out the page that shows the Carnival stock and fax it to Princess.

Do note that the fine print says that Princess must receive your proof of purchase documentation at least 2 weeks prior to embarkation.

And while I would definitely try to abide by that 2-week rule, when I bought my stock right after the start of September this year and sent in my paperwork, it was posted to my cruise less than 2 days later when I checked on the cruise personalizer. That really surprised me! But I definitely feel that you shouldn't count on being that lucky in every instance! It's really nice that they offer the OBE as that's reallly just income that you don't have to pay income tax on! :D

Tom

I think you're asking about how to buy CCL in a 401K. That can be difficult. A 401K is different from an IRA. A 401K is run by your employer and most limit your holdings to an approved list. Some allow more freedom. If you're talking about a 401K, you'll have to ask your plan administer. I was in the federal thrift savings fund, a 401K, and it would not have been permitted.

If, OTOH, you're asking about an IRA, that's different. Most IRA are held at a broker and can offer a great deal of flexibility. I've retired now and my funds are in self-directed IRA at Schwab. I can buy any stock, mutual fund or ETF I wish. I bought my CCL using my smart phone.

Sometimes, even with an IRA, you may run into limitations particularly if your funds are in a 'mangaged' account where the broker chooses your investments. If that be the case, you'll need to talk to your broker. Normally, something can be done.

Whats the purpose to buying stock on a cruiseline, do you get some obc, is buying good now?

If you own CCL, you have the opportunity to participate in capital appreciation if the stock goes up. I bought CCL at $38, it's now $51. It could, and probably will, go down in the future. Cruise line stocks are fairly volatile.

If you own CCL, it pays a dividend of $100 per year regardless of the stock value.

If you own CCL, you can get $100 OBC on each cruise your take on lines owned by CCL (Carnival, Princess, Holland, etc.).

Suppose I had bought CCL at $40. Cost would have been $4000. I usually take two cruises so I get $200 OBC plus $100 dividend. That's a profit of $300 on a $4000 investment. The ROI is 7.5% which isn't too shabby. Try and get 7.5% at your local bank or credit union.

I won't attempt to tell you whether you should/should not buy. That's a very personal decision depending upon too many factors. No one can predict if the stock will go up or down. I bought it for the dividend and the OBC.

Edited by RocketMan275

Quote:

If you own CCL, you can get $100 OBC on each cruise your take on lines owned by CCL (Carnival, Princess, Holland, etc.). Unquote.

I am not the "investor" in our family, but I do know that you can get up to $250 OBC for your cruise - it all depends on the length of your cruise. I believe the cutoff for $250 is 14 days and up. We get tons of OBC each year due to our owning our CCL stock. A very good investment for Carnival Corp. cruisers.

I am pretty sure this is the breakdown, but I am sure someone will chime in if this is wrong

Cruises less than 7 days : $50 OBC

CRUISES 7-13 days. : $100 OBC

CRUISES 14+ days. : $250 OBC

Best investment I have ever made in re the OBC. Imagine getting $50 on even a one day cruise! Just got $250 sailing on the 14 day transatlantic.

I am pretty sure this is the breakdown, but I am sure someone will chime in if this is wrong

Cruises less than 7 days : $50 OBC

CRUISES 7-13 days. : $100 OBC

CRUISES 14+ days. : $250 OBC

Best investment I have ever made in re the OBC. Imagine getting $50 on even a one day cruise! Just got $250 sailing on the 14 day transatlantic.

Don't know if it changes annually, but above good until July 31, 2016. One of my two cruises departs the next day!

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9Mjc0MjIzfENoaWxkSUQ9LTF8VHlwZT0z&t=1

I just opened an account with Scottrade. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to use the Instant Verification option, since it wasn't working properly. I instead had to do the 2-3 day verification. I talked to a guy at Scottrade and he said I would be able to buy the stock for sure by Friday. Do you think this will be enough time if my cruise leaves on the 25th?

I just opened an account with Scottrade. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to use the Instant Verification option, since it wasn't working properly. I instead had to do the 2-3 day verification. I talked to a guy at Scottrade and he said I would be able to buy the stock for sure by Friday. Do you think this will be enough time if my cruise leaves on the 25th?

Yes. You only need 14 days.

I use Scottrade and have no complaints.

You have to show proof of ownership which is normally done by monthly statement. Did you discuss with Scottrade what documentation they can quickly provide. I doubt you want to wait for your monthly statement. You might also want to talk with Princess about what is acceptable documentation. I don't think they'll accept a screen shot.

You have to show proof of ownership which is normally done by monthly statement. Did you discuss with Scottrade what documentation they can quickly provide. I doubt you want to wait for your monthly statement. You might also want to talk with Princess about what is acceptable documentation. I don't think they'll accept a screen shot.

I have a Scottrade account. You can log in and print what you have. I have used that before.

Not an issue.

Edited by Coral

OP - don't forget you have to fax or mail your documentation.

You can do it without the official form, just write the required info on your proof of ownership. One OBC per cabin.

And if anyone in your party is a veteran, you can get the same amount of OBC as the stock ownership by faxing or mailing a copy of his/her DD214. One OBC per veteran.:eek:

If you own CCL, you have the opportunity to participate in capital appreciation if the stock goes up. I bought CCL at $38, it's now $51. It could, and probably will, go down in the future. Cruise line stocks are fairly volatile.

If you own CCL, it pays a dividend of $100 per year regardless of the stock value.

If you own CCL, you can get $100 OBC on each cruise your take on lines owned by CCL (Carnival, Princess, Holland, etc.).

Suppose I had bought CCL at $40. Cost would have been $4000. I usually take two cruises so I get $200 OBC plus $100 dividend. That's a profit of $300 on a $4000 investment. The ROI is 7.5% which isn't too shabby. Try and get 7.5% at your local bank or credit union.

I won't attempt to tell you whether you should/should not buy. That's a very personal decision depending upon too many factors. No one can predict if the stock will go up or down. I bought it for the dividend and the OBC.

The dividend has been raised, it is now $1.20 per share, annually.