? Regarding shareholders benefit

whatcruiseisnext

wr are having a discussion. If you have carnival stock as part of a rollover IRA does it still qualify for shareholders benefits. The person in question has 300 shares of carnival Corp stock. It's part of an IRA. They have never gotten the benefit with this IRA before but have never tried. They thought that the stock must be separate and not part of an IRA. I thought I'd ask here for her.

wr are having a discussion. If you have carnival stock as part of a rollover IRA does it still qualify for shareholders benefits. The person in question has 300 shares of carnival Corp stock. It's part of an IRA. They have never gotten the benefit with this IRA before but have never tried. They thought that the stock must be separate and not part of an IRA. I thought I'd ask here for her.

As long as they own the stock as a line item in their portfolio it qualifies for the OBC. They can sell or buy it within their IRA.

If it were contained within the portfolio of a mutual fund it would not.

IRA or conventional brokerage account is irrelevant.

Edited by thinfool

The IRA must be in the name of one of the people in the cabin and the stock must be owned "separately" within the IRA, not as part of a mutual fund where the fund bought the stock.

Translation--my IRA consists of a series of stocks that were purchased as individual stocks. If I had CCL there, that would count. I also have a smaller Roth IRA that contains primarily a mutual fund. If CCL were in there, it would not count. In the Roth, I own shares of the mutual fund, regardless of what is in the mutual fund.

Does that make sense? Easier to do it than to explain it.

Edited by moki'smommy

If the person own 300 shares outright, yes it works. Doesn't matter that it's part of a retirement account, I'd wager most of us hold our shares in an IRA.

Just print out a recent brokerage statement showing the shares owned, black out the account number and other holdings, and make sure it has the account holder's name on it. That's where I run into difficulty, as my IRA with Schwab only shows the account holder name on a different page. So I just send both pages. For my current trip, I got the OBC within 24 hours of faxing in (two pages). Enjoy your trip!

Thanks everyone! That is exactly what I have been telling her. She disagreed. We have been getting the benefit for years but ours is not within an IRA. She does have a separate line item for the stock and her name is on it. I'll show her your responses and hopefully she'll submit. Her next cruise is in November.

Edited by whatcruiseisnext

I just did that exact thing in my IRA this week. Used some of the cash in the account which was earning basically nothing to purchase it. Now I'll get about 3% in dividends on that money plus the shareholder benefit when I cruise. Wish I had done it last year. Missed out on $400 of OBC on 4 cruises in the past 12 months. Oh well.

Thanks everyone! That is exactly what I have been telling her. She disagreed. We have been getting the benefit for years but ours is not within an IRA. She does have a separate line item for the stock and her name is on it. I'll show her your responses and hopefully she'll submit. Her next cruise is in November.

It's free money. If your friend doesn't submit the request she is just throwing away the OBC. People are sometimes mind boggling.

If the person own 300 shares outright, yes it works. Doesn't matter that it's part of a retirement account, I'd wager most of us hold our shares in an IRA.

Just print out a recent brokerage statement showing the shares owned, black out the account number and other holdings, and make sure it has the account holder's name on it. That's where I run into difficulty, as my IRA with Schwab only shows the account holder name on a different page. So I just send both pages. For my current trip, I got the OBC within 24 hours of faxing in (two pages). Enjoy your trip!

Exactly how much information do you black out other than account #?

If I black out all the other holdings, most of the page would be blacked out.

Exactly how much information do you black out other than account #?

If I black out all the other holdings, most of the page would be blacked out.

I do it the old fashioned way, cut and paste. They do not want 20 pages of stock holdings, they only want to see CCL. Never had a problem on Princess, Carnival or HAL.

Cut out anything not needed, including your account number. Basically the only things on the one page are:

Name of brokerage

Account name

Subject column (stock ID, shares, cost per share etc)

Line with CCL stock info.

Copy (or scan) so it's 'clean', email or fax in

Edited by SadieN

The problem I have is that the page with the stock doesn't have my name on it, so I have to include the cover page and leave the account number intact. Still no problem. I did exactly what Alaska05 did - took money that wasn't generating income in my company IRA and transferred it to a "self managed account". This account is still inside the IRA, but lets you buy almost any stock or fund you want. Bought 100 shares CCL and when I finally had to cash the account out the dividends had built this to 140 shares. PLUS the OBC. CCL moves up and down a bit but between the dividends and OBC I was earning over 7%. Not bad in a flat market.

I have mine in a Roth IRA - with dividend reinvestment. My kids can deal with it when they inherit it. A Roth does not have required minimum distributions for the owner of the Roth, however, there is RMD for beneficiaries.It is the only stock in this particular Roth IRA.

Edited by TravelingEA

My 100 shares of CCL stock is in my IRA. I simply print out the latest report for my IRA and black out everything but my name, date, brokerage firm and the line with the 100 shares. Cut and paste works well. I have never had a problem getting the shareholders OBC. Tally so far this year is $500 OBC and $120 dividend.

Used my individual stock in my ira for the credit. Just print your account with the shares highlighted and account number blacked out, enjoy.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

The problem I have is that the page with the stock doesn't have my name on it, so I have to include the cover page and leave the account number intact. Still no problem. I did exactly what Alaska05 did - took money that wasn't generating income in my company IRA and transferred it to a "self managed account". This account is still inside the IRA, but lets you buy almost any stock or fund you want. Bought 100 shares CCL and when I finally had to cash the account out the dividends had built this to 140 shares. PLUS the OBC. CCL moves up and down a bit but between the dividends and OBC I was earning over 7%. Not bad in a flat market.

Same here - my name is on the first page and Carnival Share info is on the second page. I still black out all account info. Princess doesn't care. Holland America did care and suggested I black out all except the last 4 #s on each page.

For the benefit of us Brits - what's an IRA?:o

Individual Retirement Account. Interest and earnings are not taxed until withdrawn.

And for a Roth IRA, deposits are taxed before putting them into the account. Any growth in the account's value is never taxed.

Is there a required number of shares you must own to get the $100 OBC on each cruise? Also, does the spouse of the person whose name is shown on the brokerage statement get the same amount of OBC as well or does each spouse have to own stock in their own name? Thank you!

Is there a required number of shares you must own to get the $100 OBC on each cruise? Also, does the spouse of the person whose name is shown on the brokerage statement get the same amount of OBC as well or does each spouse have to own stock in their own name? Thank you!

100 shares minimum. Only one credit per cabin. Named shareholder must be on booking.