Price Drop - When is it worth it?

WiddyTwo

For me, it really depends on what the net gain will be, even if it's a small amount. Depending on the details of your original booking, you may find yourself losing OBC or some other perk when you re-book at the lower cruise fare.

Everyone has a different size wallet.

For me $20 is not worth making any changes or calls.

For others $10 might be worth it.

Ask the same question about using gift cards.

Some people do and some don't.

I have seen price drops of more than $100 and for sure that's worth it!

You have to decide for yourself.

How are you watching for a price drop? Is there something automated to do that?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I cannot speak for the OP but I use Carnival's fare viewer tool (link below). It's not automated, you just have to remember to use it and check prices occasionally (or religiously if you're really keen on nailing a price drop). I think there is a web site that will notify you of cruise price drops but the name of it escapes me at the moment.

https://www.carnival.com/bookingengine/fareviewer

When does everyone consider it to be worth it to call Carnival when a price drops on a cruise? Is it worth it to call for a $20 price drop, or do you only call when there's a considerable drop?

I am one to put a high value on my free time, so I generally don't look for price drops, etc. But the other day I was just looking excursions for our upcoming cruise. Took 2 minutes to do a mock booking. Price dropped $40. I emailed my PVP, which took all of 45 seconds. He took it from there. So three minutes for $40...yeah that works for me. Now if I had to call, be put on hold, etc...mmm..probably not. You can always fill out a form and email it in...that would be borderline for me.

I cannot speak for the OP but I use Carnival's fare viewer tool (link below). It's not automated, you just have to remember to use it and check prices occasionally (or religiously if you're really keen on nailing a price drop). I think there is a web site that will notify you of cruise price drops but the name of it escapes me at the moment.

https://www.carnival.com/bookingengine/fareviewer

I didn't know about the fareviewer website so I was just doing mock bookings. The price protection page took all of 5 minutes to submit and I had an email confirming the price drop within about two hours. I only saved $20 but minimal effort was involved, so worth it to me. I think if I had to call it would not have been worth it. Thanks for the link btw!

I didn't know about the fareviewer website so I was just doing mock bookings. The price protection page took all of 5 minutes to submit and I had an email confirming the price drop within about two hours. I only saved $20 but minimal effort was involved, so worth it to me. I think if I had to call it would not have been worth it. Thanks for the link btw!

Congratulations! Keep watching and happy sailing.

I called in for a $40/total drop on my cruise and felt it was worth it. We had $100 book on board credit so just wanted to make sure it stayed with the booking. My call was answered in 5 minutes and taken care of total of 10 minutes. Received confirmation email change while still on the line with the girl. Yeah $40 saving for ten minutes of my time I would say it was worth it [emoji857][emoji6].

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I travel solo, so if it's more than any OBC I might have, I go for it. Usually somebody posts on the Roll Call if there is a price drop, so it's easy to track.

I don't gamble either, so for some they don't have any issues with losing money. We are all different.

Looked at Fare Viewer and notice that it lists cabins by categories but my booking doesn't specify category just cabin type and number. Is there an easy way to determine the category of my cabin other than looking at a deck map and figuring it out from there?

Looked at Fare Viewer and notice that it lists cabins by categories but my booking doesn't specify category just cabin type and number. Is there an easy way to determine the category of my cabin other than looking at a deck map and figuring it out from there?

It's on our email confirmation of the bookings if you don't want to look at a deck map. It lists our categories (6B Oceanview, 8A Balcony, etc.) right under the Stateroom number.

I'll ask for any price drop I see on the Fare Viewer since it only takes a minute to submit the form on the website. I figure every $10 gets me a free drink! I've submitted 4-5 times now to get to $150 savings on one of our rooms.

Fare viewer is fine unless you qualify for the military rate. Military rate will only show up in a mock booking.

Quite true and I've noted that quite often, by doing a mock booking, that the military rate (when available) is usually the same as the current ES rate.

Last week I submitted the form for a $20 price drop and it was easy and approved quickly. 3 days later it dropped another $20 so I submitted form again. It was worth it in my case but we don't have any OBC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums