Arrange private tour!

Winters Gate

You with experience in arranging private tours, how do you do with payment and how are you sure that everyone shows up as decided?

I would like to arrange a tour in Rome for the summer, with 6-8 people to get the price down a bit, but am worried to stand there and only a few people show up and there will be problems with the price you have promised!

Those of you who are experienced do you have any good tips?

You with experience in arranging private tours, how do you do with payment and how are you sure that everyone shows up as decided?

I would like to arrange a tour in Rome for the summer, with 6-8 people to get the price down a bit, but am worried to stand there and only a few people show up and there will be problems with the price you have promised!

In nearly forty years of arranging Private Tours (I started arranging them on trips with my parents), I've never had somebody just not show up.

Illness or fatigue is another matter, but when people are on vacation they generally TRY.

The way that you have to try to look at it, as the organizer, is that if a couple bows out, then the remaining guests are getting more personalized attention, and the extra cost is paying for that.

If we're someplace in a state of flux like Rio or Acapulco, I'll generally collect the money before we leave the ship and pay the Guide in a single transaction. Anywhere else, each couple does their own thing.

The only way you can be certain that everyone pays his/her share is to meet at M&G early on in the cruise and collect the money from all participants.

If people do not show then (or are not willing to pay up front) you can (probably) cancel the tour with the operator online, if you wish.

Generally speaking, people will honor their commitment. That said, I have read here about some person who showed up on the tour, borrowed money from the organizer to pay for the tour (I forget why exactly) and then tried avoiding the person on the ship to pay him back. This, however, is an exception and not the rule (thankfully) :D

I'm also in the category of never having been stiffed -- whether due to non-payment or non-appearance.

I try to avoid booking a guide who wants a deposit, but sometimes that cannot be avoided. In such cases if it's a small amount, I may front the cost. Most of the time, though, I just ask participants to pay the deposit directly. That has always worked out as well.

Mura

That said, I have read here about some person who showed up on the tour, borrowed money from the organizer to pay for the tour (I forget why exactly) and then tried avoiding the person on the ship to pay him back. This, however, is an exception and not the rule (thankfully) :D

That happened on one of the tours we did and it all worked out. The person forgot their money despite a number of reminders. The arrangements for the funds usually is worked out with the tour operator. Some have each person go on line to pay ahead, some collect nothing until you are at the end of your tour, some collect at the start. On one tour the ship had to change ports and the guide checked with the port agent and was waiting for us. And once the guide in Lisbon did not show up the day after a holiday. We were able to get a driver and essentially visit the places we had planned to tour and it worked out. You always need an open mind.

I have never had a person not show up for a private tour. One time when I had a very large group, I did collect a significant deposit from each one to prevent people from changing their minds. For groups of 8 or less, i wouldn't worry too much.

Do you use Viator or other large operators available online or do you have private ones you have found from experience? I want to arrange some private tours also for Malaga to Granada and for Provence and Eze from Marseille and Monaco, but I'm unsure how to do that by going online and booking for 8-10 without paying for everyone. The roll call has turned up enough willing participants, but I don't want to be holding the bag for $1500-2000!

Do you use Viator or other large operators available online or do you have private ones you have found from experience? I want to arrange some private tours also for Malaga to Granada and for Provence and Eze from Marseille and Monaco, but I'm unsure how to do that by going online and booking for 8-10 without paying for everyone. The roll call has turned up enough willing participants, but I don't want to be holding the bag for $1500-2000!

We have booked a tour to Granada from Malaga with a large Spanish tour company (cannot mention name here). In that case each party made their individual reservation (and deposit) with the tour company and mentioned whose tour/bus they were on.

The same can be done in Provence.

That way you are able to share the cost but are responsible for yourselves only.

I have only in one case had to pay a deposit to a tour operator

I collected from people before the end of the tour

Some had to stop at an ATM to get local currency but all worked out

Other tours the guide either collected from each couple on the tour or I collected the $ & paid at the end of the tour

just depends on if the price from the guide was PP or total for the tour

Some guides now prefer you to pay a deposit in case of no-shows...

Some tour companies you can book direct & just say you are with a group giving the group leader's name

I try to keep my groups to less than 12

I usually try to collect the money early in the tour so if they do not have the $ they can get some at an ATM along the tour

JMO

Lyn

I've literally arranged dozens of tours in the South of France, and there is never any need to pay in advance of the cruise. If the Tour Operator that you are dealing with is asking for advance payment, move along; even the VERY VERY BEST Guides in that area do not require paying before the Tour.

I too have done dozens of private tours, mostly in Europe. I only had two I had to pay in advance for - private flamenco show & a mini bus for a transfer as we decline the interpreter (and price) and drivers in Spain are not allowed to collect money. (DH did the translation). If the $ are significant you can ask people to send payment. I just asked them to discreetly pass me envelopes at the Meet & Greet. Went smoothly.

I always have my groups meet on board and we go off together. That way, if someone is missing you can reach them.

Traditionally I ask people to email me so I can keep them up to date and get their last names and/or cabin numbers.

I've never had anyone not show up and never been stiffed ever.

We prefer private tours because of the smaller numbers and flexibility they offer. In Italy, we have used Rome in Limo and been pleased.

Edited by kazu

No need to pay in advance - at least not normally. Monaco - see if Ingrid of Kultours is available - fantastic. If not, try Sylvie di Cristo, a bit pricier but also very good. Ingrid is my preference. (I haven't deleted the spread sheet for the Prinsendam from my signature yet at the request of some looking at ports, if you click on the link, you will see the info on the spread sheet).

Depending upon what you want to do in Marseille, try Marseille Greeters. It's free (donation after if you want) and we had a fabulous experience with Danielle. Malaga - try Spain Day Tours. If you are doing a group, none of them required payment up front from me.

I'm the one who got cheated in St. Petersburg on an Oceania cruise a long time ago. DH and I booked a private tour, the operator said another couple from our ship wanted the same tour and would we mind doubling up and sharing the cost. We agreed, and both couples were emailed specific payment terms by the guide, i.e. cash only in American dollars at the end of the two day tour. We complied but the other couple wanted to use a credit card or travelers checks or some other rubbish, and the ship was ready to sail. Not wanting to leave a bad impression of Americans behind, we fronted the money but were unable to collect it. Always, always verify before leaving the ship that the people you are sharing with have the correct money on their person.

Another lesson learned recently in a tender port, have your entire group assemble on board and leave the ship together, making sure everyone has their Oceania ID card in hand. This summer we had someone forget their card and end up on a different tender after a long wait. Very confusing and a waste of time for those who were prompt and prepared. So, meet in the lobby, insist that everyone check for correct cash and ID, and disembark in a group.

People can be strange. This summer we negotiated a 30 Euro taxi ride back to the ship with another couple. Our share was obviously 15 Euros. I gave the driver 20 and he thanked me for the tip. The other couple gave him 10 and he asked them for the extra 5. They said 20 and 10 make 30 and they wouldn't give him any more. The driver gave me plenty of eye-rolls, and the other couple just couldn't understand that they had robbed him of his tip. They thought it was their good fortune. It's not the money that bugs me, it's the bad manners and the negative impression some people leave behind. Sorry to get off-topic here, but want the OP to know that there are inconsiderate people around, even on Oceania.

I'm the one who got cheated in St. Petersburg on an Oceania cruise a long time ago. DH and I booked a private tour, the operator said another couple from our ship wanted the same tour and would we mind doubling up and sharing the cost. We agreed, and both couples were emailed specific payment terms by the guide, i.e. cash only in American dollars at the end of the two day tour. We complied but the other couple wanted to use a credit card or travelers checks or some other rubbish, and the ship was ready to sail. Not wanting to leave a bad impression of Americans behind, we fronted the money but were unable to collect it. Always, always verify before leaving the ship that the people you are sharing with have the correct money on their person.

Another lesson learned recently in a tender port, have your entire group assemble on board and leave the ship together, making sure everyone has their Oceania ID card in hand. This summer we had someone forget their card and end up on a different tender after a long wait. Very confusing and a waste of time for those who were prompt and prepared. So, meet in the lobby, insist that everyone check for correct cash and ID, and disembark in a group.

People can be strange. This summer we negotiated a 30 Euro taxi ride back to the ship with another couple. Our share was obviously 15 Euros. I gave the driver 20 and he thanked me for the tip. The other couple gave him 10 and he asked them for the extra 5. They said 20 and 10 make 30 and they wouldn't give him any more. The driver gave me plenty of eye-rolls, and the other couple just couldn't understand that they had robbed him of his tip. They thought it was their good fortune. It's not the money that bugs me, it's the bad manners and the negative impression some people leave behind. Sorry to get off-topic here, but want the OP to know that there are inconsiderate people around, even on Oceania.

Truly unbelievable what jerks some people can be! I especially hate to see a hard working person like a taxi driver get screwed on a tip. They depend on them.

Collect the money beforehand, while you are still on the ship? Tell everyone in writing that the price is based on the number of participants and will be higher if a person refuses to pay and opts out at the last minute.

Some people are unbelievable :eek:

too bad we cannot name & shame them ...they probably would not care anyway

china addict,

you sure had more than your share of bad luck with tours - sorry to read about it.

People indeed can be very strange - thankfully such examples are the exception on Oceania, at least in our experience.

Thank you for sharing as we all learn from others' experiences and hopefully will be able to avoid those problems.

Edited by Paulchili

No need to pay in advance - at least not normally. Monaco - see if Ingrid of Kultours is available - fantastic. If not, try Sylvie di Cristo, a bit pricier but also very good. Ingrid is my preference. (I haven't deleted the spread sheet for the Prinsendam from my signature yet at the request of some looking at ports, if you click on the link, you will see the info on the spread sheet).

Depending upon what you want to do in Marseille, try Marseille Greeters. It's free (donation after if you want) and we had a fabulous experience with Danielle. Malaga - try Spain Day Tours. If you are doing a group, none of them required payment up front from me.

Sylvie di Cristo is top notch, we had the pleasure of her expertise a couple years ago out of Monaco. She will drive long distances to pick up a group but she books way in advance. We tried to get her again for Paris, she was booked.

Recently we used One Day in Provence, William Templer is the owner guide. He gets rave reviews on trip advisor. I was not the organizer but very much enjoyed our trip to Aix and the French countryside. He picked us up in Marseilles from Marina. We paid him at the end of the day. He also arranged for part of the group to tour the next day with a colleague out of Antibes.

I've never had a problem arranging and I've organized more than a dozen trips. Never had a no show participant or guide. My preference is for each participant to handle their own money and tip. I always confirm and reconfirm and communicate the cost and the specific currency the guide wants. I was embarrassed one time in Italy when couple didn't want to pay to exchange currency and tried to pay the guide in Canadian dollars even though I had told everyone Euros were required. That was the only issue I've had.

Most European guides do not require payment in advance but I've noticed some are asking the tour organizer to put a modest deposit down. I've done that a couple times with the caveat it would be refundable with a couple weeks notice.

I've been on private tours where the organizer collected money on the ship and then handled the money. There is no right or wrong way to handle it, we are always appreciative of the effort made by the organizer and will do whatever requested.

Make sure you meet your fellow participants on board, set a meeting time and place before you sail. It is nice to put a face with a name. I prefer to walk off the ship as a group but some organizers have everyone meet at the gangway.

If you run a tour at a tender port direct the participants to meet early in the lounge or theatre where they are issuing tickets. You want to get on the earliest possible tender as a group.

I give another vote for Sylvie. She is awesome. We used her in 2003 and I am sure that she has improved with age. :)

I give another vote for Sylvie. She is awesome. We used her in 2003 and I am sure that she has improved with age. :)

+1 but book way ahead

Believe it or not Ingrid is as good if not better (IMO). they are both talented tour guides.

On our Asian cruise an Australian lady booked a ton of tours. We were given a link and instructions to pay online. Worked a charm.

We got added to one that was full when someone had to cancel at the last minute. After we got home I mailed them a bank draft as they had already paid. Never heard from them so I just assumed they got it.

All other tours we have done we paid at the end of the tour.

I have only arranged one tour and it resulted in a mutiny of sorts. People are weird sometimes. As my daughter said when we had a disaster and she was about 7- we made memories. 😄

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ah, reading this thread has made me feel terrific about the private tours I'm arranging for our upcoming trip in May! I've booked both William Templer out of Marseille and Sylvie di Cristo out of Cannes and Monte Carlo.

I appreciate the tips as I am the organizer. I will definitely get the group to gather on ship and depart together. The money part I'm not so sure of. Gather it myself when we meet on board and make one large payment or have each pay their part directly to tour guide? Sounds like people here are saying either way works out.

--Heidi

Either way does work out but personally I prefer to have people pay their own amounts ... while it isn't common for people to welch, I'd rather it not be possible at all! I have fronted small deposits, but nothing more. Usually (regarding tours I have arranged) people pay their share to the guide at the end of the tour.

When we did the Black Sea on Regatta in August '12 another member arranged many tours. Several of the guides wanted payment in advance, so the organizer convinced them to allow her to collect the money on board. She did so at our M&G -- which others have said shouldn't be done since cruiselines don't like to see people actually collecting money for a non-ship tour, but there were no problems. Most of the Black Sea guides wanted U.S. dollars but as I recall one accepted euros. Our upcoming South America cruise (Lima-NYC on Marina) has some guides that want U.S. dollars rather than their own currencies.

I've seen a number of reports (not many but several) where people wanted to pay in their own currencies even though they'd been informed of what currency was required. I know that many U.S. passengers assume that everyone in the world wants U.S. dollars. (That CAN be true in certain areas.) But the couple who wanted to pay for a tour in Italy in Canadian dollars? What were they thinking?

Conversely, a cruise friend of mine shared a tour in Quebec City a couple of years ago with a U.S. couple who just assumed the guide would be happy with U.S. dollars. Many Canadians will take U.S. dollars, but this guide did not want them.

Mura

Edited by Mura
Message posted before I was ready

Ah, reading this thread has made me feel terrific about the private tours I'm arranging for our upcoming trip in May! I've booked both William Templer out of Marseille and Sylvie di Cristo out of Cannes and Monte Carlo.

I appreciate the tips as I am the organizer. I will definitely get the group to gather on ship and depart together. The money part I'm not so sure of. Gather it myself when we meet on board and make one large payment or have each pay their part directly to tour guide? Sounds like people here are saying either way works out.

--Heidi

You made great choices for your tour guides! Sylvie is a great guide, incidentally she is the kindest person you will ever meet. Someone on our trip became ill and Sylvie was so caring and helpful.

We really enjoyed our day in Provence with William Templer as well. We had him this past October.