I've HAD IT with Royal Caribbean!!!

Eve

You made me go look up some history- finding Grace Lines history http://cruiselinehistory.com/the-grace-line/

which was really interesting reading.

And followed little history of their ship, the Santa Rosa. Grace stopped passenger crusing in 1969, and the ship was not used from '71 to '92- when it was revived to become the Regent Rainbow for 4 years. Then Thomson picked it up to be the Emerald in 1996- and it kept cruising until 2009. When it was finally scrapped. The ship was in service for 50 years- although not continuously. Just about 1200 passengers for the Emerald. Since the Santa Paula lists 546 passnegers- I suspect that the Santa Rosa started life with that number, too.

Her sister, the Santa Paula became the Stell Polaris from '72-78, and then teh Kuwait Marroitt. Yes, a hotel. It was destroyed in bombing 1990, and was latter scrapped in 2002.

Fascinating.

Actually, it was interesting to watch the Posiden Adventure recenlty- to see passenger crusing in the '70s. Still waiting for find Love Boat repeats on TV (not looking on line).

We sailed the Christmas/ New Years cruises in both 1968 and 1969. Santa Paula one year and Santa Rosa the other. I still have our passenger lists that were handed out with everyone's name, address and phone number. There were only 300 names on each of them. 546 probably included the crew numbers.

Wow. Thanks for sharing...that must be the "golden age" of sailing that some of the more seasoned cruisers often refer to. Things have REALLY changed, huh?

Yes, things have really changed, but even Carnival was pretty formal when we first sailed them in the mid 1980's. DH always wore a tux on every cruise on Home Lines, Royal Olympic, The Big Red Boat, Carnival, Princess, Holland America, Celebrity, NCL (before freestyle cruising) and RCCL. He hasn't bothered taking a tux for the last 5 years or so.

No some people will bitch even at 5 star land resorts.

Yes, we see quite a bit of that. But, then again even service on Carnival has been better than at the Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons or Fairmont in the last few years.

Ive always loved the egg station and breakfast items in the WJ and thought they did a good job at lunch as well. This was the first cruise where I actually went to the WJ for dinner and man was I pleasantly surprised. My mother who is not much of a buffet fan at all enjoyed it as well. I will be doing that many more times in the future :) I may not even go to the MDR on Allure at all. I do understand that Allure has a smaller WJ though and its often hard to find a seat. We will make it work

Allure's Windjammer is smaller but it still works very well for dinner as people have many other choices of places to eat in the evening. Try breakfast in the Solarium Cafe and see how you like it. If you get there when it opens it is usually almost empty. The food choices, in my opinion are really good. If you want made to order eggs for breakfast you can get them in the Wipeout Cafe and also at Johnny Rocket's but not in the Windjammer.

Beware of the turkey bacon in the Solarium Cafe. It's horrendous. :eek:

I made the mistake of trying turkey bacon once. NEVER again! :eek::D

Edited by ryano

Any idea of what that cruise would have cost back then?

Our Santa Paula Grace Line cruise in 1968 was $600 for each of the first 2 passengers and $100 for the 3rd passenger. We sailed Grace Line again in 1969 on the Santa Rosa and it was still $600 for each of the first two passengers but the 3rd was free. This was for a very large oceanview cabin. There were no balcony cabins.

I am told that that was pretty expensive for the time.

To give you an idea of prices back then, in the summer of 1969 I spent 7 weeks in Europe on a Study/Tour for $550.00. It included all accomodations, airfare from JFK to London and from Rome back to JFK, tours, tuition and meals. We stayed at some really nice hotels like the Montreaux Palace in Switzerland.

I know DH and I only paid $645.00 for a week's honeymoon in Jamaica at the Hilton in Ocho Rios including breakfast and dinner daily and the airfare from Philadelphia to Montego Bay on Air Jamaica in 1974.

We did not plan to sail Grace Line on the same itinerary in 1969. We were booked on the SS United States, but they pulled it out of service and refunded the deposit money. So, we and others booked on several ships that were pulled from service that year ended up on Grace Line. Our family doctor and his family were onboard that week too.

Nice to see someone else knows about Grace Line! But my hubby has you beat on the timing...

After WWII ended, American soldiers were sent back to the states but could not get their English brides and children home. It actually took an act of Congress to allocate a certain number of cruise ships for this to happen. Most know about the Queen Mary but the SS Santa Paula was the 3rd ship to leave Southampton for the US. My husband and mother in law were on that crossing in Feb. 1946. He was 2 months old and the youngest on board. Supposedly he slept in a dresser drawer, sleeping most of the trip. I was told it was a very rough crossing. Bet it was very soothing... ;) There is a book out titled "War Brides" if you are interested in knowing more.

We finally took a TA in 2013 and Dion enjoyed the trip very much. I would tell people in the lounge that this was his 2nd TA but he doesn't remember the first one 'cause he slept through it! :D

Teri

My husband & I take each day and enjoy it, little things that we encounter, people butting in front of us at the WJ, I just say, I am in no hurry & if you forgot something go ahead. There are more enjoyable parts of the cruise to think about. Deb, my first experience on a ship was back in 1959 on the Quuen of Bermuda, reminded me of the Titanic. Sis & I slept in a tiny cabin with a porthole, 1 dresser & 2 twin beds. Bathroom was down the hall. I still have the menu card.

Ship Photo: https://crociereuk.wordpress.com/2011/08/29/the-queen-of-bermuda/

Was this the same ship that later became the "Bermuda Star." Cruised twice from NYC to Bermuda. It wasn't much, but we as a family had a great time.

nelblu, I honestly couldn't tell you however I do know that we sailed her back from Bermuda to NY. In the information I rently read on her there was no mention of a name change, a third stack was added for show and she was in service well over 30 yrs. I will get the link for you on her History https://crociereuk.wordpress.com/2011/08/29/the-queen-of-bermuda/

Edited by Desert Cruizers

I made the mistake of trying turkey bacon once. NEVER again! :eek::D

Never again and I wish I had not even tried it. It is just one of those experiences that traumatizes you for life.:eek::eek:

[quote name='Ocean Boy']Never again and I wish I had not even tried it. It is just one of those experiences that traumatizes you for life.:eek::eek:[/QUOTE]

Only one thing traumatized me more. It was when the 6'8" 290 lb. Urologist walked into the room to give me prostate exam!:eek:

Ok, more room for all of us that enjoy it. Yep, they nickel and dime you but you know what? I still dearly enjoy my cruise with my wife and all of our great cruise friends! Can't wait to go again in August.

JoeRum

[quote name='joepeka']Yes, Pinnacle and GS and above suites get them mailed free. I knew you could also order tags from RCI for a fee (if you were not P or GS+) but last I heard that fee was $35. :confused:[/QUOTE]

Correct me if I am wrong, but if you want the cruise documents mailed to you "old style" then it costs 35 dollar - luggage tags included. You only need a couple of pages out of the booklet anyway. Why anyone would pay 35 dollars for only a couple of pages of documents and luggage tags is beyond me. You can download then and print out the pages and luggage tags for free. I have done this for the past couple of years and it sure beats the hell out of 35 dollars for 2 pages I can download and print for free.

Also, I think, again correct me if I am wrong, that Diamond Plus also get luggage tags mailed to them. I am Diamond Plus and I don't care if they are mailed to me or if I download them, as long as my luggage makes it to my stateroom, I'm happy:D, but that's me.

Happy sailing to all. Edited by onyourtoes

[quote name='onyourtoes']Correct me if I am wrong, but if you want the cruise documents mailed to you "old style" then it costs 35 dollar - luggage tags included. You only need a couple of pages out of the booklet anyway. Why anyone would pay 35 dollars for only a couple of pages of documents and luggage tags is beyond me. You can download then and print out the pages and luggage tags for free. I have done this for the past couple of years and it sure beats the hell out of 35 dollars for 2 pages I can download and print for free.

Also, I think, again correct me if I am wrong, that Diamond Plus also get luggage tags mailed to them. I am Diamond Plus and I don't care if they are mailed to me or if I download them, as long as my luggage makes it to my stateroom, I'm happy:D, but that's me.

Happy sailing to all.[/QUOTE]

I concur with your observations. All companies are getting away from producing paper statements, etc. for their customers to save money. Heck, I was just reading that JP Morgan is eliminating voice mail for their employees, except were a client is involved. It will save them a bunch, and I'm sure others will follow. Each voice mail was costing the company $10 per line--couldn't make out wether it was per month or year.

[quote name='lynnkalb']I thought only Grand Suites and above were mailed luggage tags. Not sure about Junior Suites.[/quote]
Correct, Grand Suites and above, plus Pinnacle C&A members can request mailed tags for no extra cost. Edited by clarea

[quote name='onyourtoes']Correct me if I am wrong, but if you want the cruise documents mailed to you "old style" then it costs 35 dollar - luggage tags included. You only need a couple of pages out of the booklet anyway. Why anyone would pay 35 dollars for only a couple of pages of documents and luggage tags is beyond me. You can download then and print out the pages and luggage tags for free. I have done this for the past couple of years and it sure beats the hell out of 35 dollars for 2 pages I can download and print for free.

Happy sailing to all.[/QUOTE]

Diamond plus and have never received mailed luggage tags if not in GS or above. It is only Pinnacles that get this option.

Also, when we requested mailed docs for our upcoming suite we only received luggage tags, no paper docs. I assume the $35 charge would be for only the tags, no docs. Edited by Spurschick

[quote name='Dave85']Cruise Critic sells them too, and they work quite well.[/quote]

I purchased several Cruise Critic plastic holders last year for RCI-style tags. I agree that they work wonders; just cut and fold the tags and...OUILA!!! ;)

[quote name='Langley Cruisers']I agree with you here. It takes a while to get to Diamond and in my eyes, most of the benefits are amazing! Love me the balcony discount, come on! :D And as mentioned, the drinks and free Internet. BUT... if someone is unhappy, they can show that displeasure with their wallet and take their business somewhere else. I'm so glad we all have a choice in this world. We are blessed to be cruising at all. :)

.[/QUOTE]

Hi Langley:

I am Diamond on RCCL and will be on the Serenade in two weeks. We usually sail Celebrity, so I am not up-to-speed on Crown & Anchor benefits.

Can you please tell me what internet benefits are available at the Diamond Level. I'm looking at the Members Benefits chart right now, but can't see anything about internet benefits. It is possible that I'm just missing it though! It's been that kind of day!

[quote name='elena7seas']Hi Langley:

I am Diamond on RCCL and will be on the Serenade in two weeks. We usually sail Celebrity, so I am not up-to-speed on Crown & Anchor benefits.

Can you please tell me what internet benefits are available at the Diamond Level. I'm looking at the Members Benefits chart right now, but can't see anything about internet benefits. It is possible that I'm just missing it though! It's been that kind of day![/quote]
I believe that Diamond now gets either $30 off a package or one day of unlimited internet free.