Gratuities???

PhillyGirl2

I just received some info about my upcoming cruise and saw, in writing, that Oceania automatically adds $15 per day per passenger to your bill. While I realize that some cruise lines are doing this, I am slightly annoyed. Even though, it states that you can adjust the amount when you pay your bill, I'm wondering if this is a way to shame a person into not changing. It's hard to say, no, I don't want to tip that much and not sound cheap. I now appreciate those cruise lines that allow you to put an amount of money in an envelope and drop it at a central place to be divided among the crew. Of course, tipping your cabin steward can be extra. I know that cruise lines like Seabourn and others include gratuities and that's why the prices are higher, but when you start to add up the cost of liquor and then gratuities, I can see why these all inclusive lines are perhaps, a good deal. Any thoughts on the gratuities that are automatically added as part of Oceania's policy?

No one knows if you decide to cancel the automatic charge and simply hand out your own gratuities. No shame.

Many of us have our gratuities comped, so we don't sweat this.

The staff does so much, so graciously, we want to reward them as best as we can. I am glad that the policy creates consciousness of the idea of tipping the staff.

We do not like the all inclusive lines because we refuse to pay for the boozing habits of others.

YMMV

Donna

Edited by Toranut97

I much prefer the auto tipping method than running around with envelopes

How much do you want to pay for 3 meals a day plus snacks & having your cabin cleaned twice a day?

If you eat out in some nice restaurant do you tip or do you stiff the hard working people there??

I am not sure why this was a surprise to you it is noted on their website & in the brochures

If you cannot afford the tips then maybe do without something else like liquor

so you are not stiffing the hard working crew

In a perfect world the cruise lines would pay the crew a living wage but until that happens they depend on tips

JMO

I think most cruise lines do this today; too many people were "stiffing" the crew. As an example, not only does NCL add $12.50/day/person, they do not allow any of it to come from OnBoard Credit.

If you are not getting free prepaid gratuities from your travel agent, you're likely using the wrong agent. Agents who book a lot of cruises with Oceania receive certain perks from the cruise line to pass on to their clients (they can't use the amounts as extra profit for themselves; they have to pass them on or lose them). Perhaps ask fellow passengers on board who they use; Cruise Critic does not permit us to talk about specific agents on the forum.

How much do you want to pay for 3 meals a day plus snacks & having your cabin cleaned twice a day?

If you eat out in some nice restaurant do you tip or do you stiff the hard working people there??

I am not sure why this was a surprise to you it is noted on their website & in the brochures

In a perfect world the cruise lines would pay the crew a living wage but until that happens they depend on tips

JMO

+1

-and the service is typically so good that most people want to add to ther base tip rather than decrease it.

iginally Posted by LHT28 View Post

JMO

+1

-and the service is typically so good that most people want to add to ther base tip rather than decrease it.

+2 - well said both of you

We do get the PPG but we also give extra

for those that want the all inclusive feel of the lux lines

just give yourself an OBC to cover the Gratuities if your TA does not provide that perk

Luxury lines you pay in the fare upfront

other lines you pay at the end of your cruise

It is a pay now or pay later depending on the cruise line you choose

What is the big deal:rolleyes:

These tipping threads really raise my hackles in case you did not notice :)

I understand when people come from non tipping Countries it can be a bit of a culture shock

Edited by LHT28

This is from Oceania's book Terms and Conditions which we get here

Would you read it as the gratuities are built into the price already?

Fares

All fares are listed are New Zealand dollars cruise only per person.................Cruise fares include Non commissionable Port taxes & fees and prepaid gratuities

+3 -- also the tips basket feeds the entire crew. Not all that you see but those that do the dirty jobs and plus others -- dishwashers, laundry staff, cooks/chefs, etc..

Actually they get a salary

The servers behind the counter in the Buffet are not part of the pool

Wait staff & housekeeping get the tip pool

Just think if all 800 employes were part of the pool they would work for free ;)

This is from Oceania's book Terms and Conditions which we get here

Would you read it as the gratuities are built into the price already?

Fares

All fares are listed are New Zealand dollars cruise only per person.................Cruise fares include Non commissionable Port taxes & fees and prepaid gratuities

Some Countries have regional pricing where they do include the Gratuities in the bottom line so in your case no further tips required except for maybe for Alcoholic & spa purchases

Some Countries have regional pricing where they do include the Gratuities in the bottom line so in your case no further tips required except for maybe for Alcoholic & spa purchases

I thought my TA said that but I have been known to get things wrong :)

Sure they get a pay check---so do you, so next time you are offered a bonus you should give it back. If you get extra good, nice, great or any other service you enjoyed---give a tip, it's the thing to do. Our TA pays for the tip's or "O" (depending on the cruise) But when we get great service and fill the trip was a good one---we give additional tip's.

Rick

We do not like the all inclusive lines because we refuse to pay for the boozing habits of others. Donna

Are you referring to the seven dollars and change the all inclusive lines allocate for daily beverage expense? Per person/day/all beverages included.

Are you referring to the seven dollars and change the all inclusive lines allocate for daily beverage expense? Per person/day/all beverages included.

Are you telling me that this is the true cost of alcohol (and soft drinks) consumed per passenger per day? The all inclusive cruise lines cover only this much in their budget and "eat" the rest? If that's the case, they ought to be bankrupt by now :D I don't think any cruise line is in the business of losing money and giving things away for free. All free things on any cruise line are actually included and not free - as I am sure you know. But it's the cruiser that pays for them, not the cruise line.

PS I realize that cruise lines do not pay the same amount for soft drinks, beer, wine and liquor that they charge the passengers but still - surely the cost even to them is more than $7+/pp/day with all the premium wines, top shelf liquor and champagne they offer on luxury lines (and that the passengers freely enjoy :D).

Edited by Paulchili

Are you telling me that this is the true cost of alcohol (and soft drinks) consumed per passenger per day? The all inclusive cruise lines cover only this much in their budget and "eat" the rest? If that's the case, they ought to be bankrupt by now :D I don't think any cruise line is in the business of losing money and giving things away for free. All free things on any cruise line are actually included and not free - as I am sure you know. But it's the cruiser that pays for them, not the cruise line.

PS I realize that cruise lines do not pay the same amount for soft drinks, beer, wine and liquor that they charge the passengers but still - surely the cost even to them is more than $7+/pp/day with all the premium wines, top shelf liquor and champagne they offer on luxury lines (and that the passengers freely enjoy :D).

PS I'd like to see that $7 bottle of wine they serve you at dinner :D (and that's not counting what you might have consumed during the rest of the day or after dinner). If they are to make and not lose money on that $7 bottle wine, they would have needed to purchase it for even less than $7 - that would be a neat trick.

Are you telling me that this is the true cost of alcohol (and soft drinks) consumed per passenger per day?

Plus or minus 70 cents, yes. For included beverages, exclusive of premium wines, liquor.

Edited by oregon50

Plus or minus 70 cents, yes. For included beverages, exclusive of premium wines, liquor.

Even if that is the case (it might average out to that on a cost basis with non drinkers), the "marked-up" value would have to be included in the all inclusive fare, not the just the cost.

+1

+4

I am amazed how people can lay down 5 to 10K in fares and then nit pick at pennies....

I see too people counting even the sales tax on a bottle of liquor!

It seems like they on the verge of financial collapse.....and living paycheck to pay check..........yet are considering what are really luxury recreation.

Amazing..... peoples focus.

but the whole crew works like absolute slaves. Some in some positions get more than others. We carry $2 bills with us everywhere and when we see the crew out at 5 or so in the morning, we hand some out. We like to see that they can afford to go to shore and have a different sort of a meal (some of the East Indians and Asians like down home food). We wish we could reach everyone, and always leave something for the crew fund. Just open your eyes and you will see that they work harder than you can imagine.

but the whole crew works like absolute slaves. Some in some positions get more than others. We carry $2 bills with us everywhere and when we see the crew out at 5 or so in the morning, we hand some out. We like to see that they can afford to go to shore and have a different sort of a meal (some of the East Indians and Asians like down home food). We wish we could reach everyone, and always leave something for the crew fund. Just open your eyes and you will see that they work harder than you can imagine.

Bravo Carol, well said! :D

I wonder if they have trouble using those $2 bills :D

I wondered the same thing. Even here in th US storekeepers stare at them and I have heard them ask, where did you get these? Not a good idea for all those using their money abroad.