Tipping Question

doowopbob

I know Gratuities are included for the cruise. However is it expected to leave a tip when dining in the specialties ?

It is not expected as gratuities for the dining staff are included. I express my appreciation to the crew by making a gift to the Crew Welfare Fund toward the end of the cruise. This way the gift goes to support all of the crew not just those who happened to serve me while onboard.

No, it's not expected. However, I always do leave a tip because the service is just so wonderful. It is entirely up to you though and it really isn't expected.

It is not expected as gratuities for the dining staff are included. I express my appreciation to the crew by making a gift to the Crew Welfare Fund toward the end of the cruise. This way the gift goes to support all of the crew not just those who happened to serve me while onboard.

Thank you Lottie and Marinaro for your spot on recommendations. To the OP: as they've both suggested, additional tipping is not a must, but being kind and generous to the crew - especially for an excellent experience, always goes a long way.

FWIW, I always tip extra in Specialty Dining, and have given to the Crew Welfare Fund.

Thank you Andy. Your input is always appreciated. :)

The crew are aware of who makes a donation to their welfare fund and I know it is very much appreciated by them. Just as an FYI, we can also support the Azamara charity that provides much needed donations, supplies and Christmas gifts to orphanages around the world. Here is a link with some insight into this great charity.

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/blog/cruise-give-get-involved-volunteer-everywhere-azamara

The crew are aware of who makes a donation to their welfare fund and I know it is very much appreciated by them. Just as an FYI, we can also support the Azamara charity that provides much needed donations, supplies and Christmas gifts to orphanages around the world. Here is a link with some insight into this great charity.

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/blog/cruise-give-get-involved-volunteer-everywhere-azamara

Lottie, thank you as I was not aware of the crew knowing. Also how we could give to the Christmas fund.

If you watch the video Robin it explains how the main fund raiser is the raffle held onboard for the framed navigation chart of your voyage. You buy a ticket...Or more than one, if you wish and all the money collected from each cruise goes to the Christmas GIVE fund.

The video also features the lovely Tracie Jones, who was HR Manager on our recent June voyage. Such a nice person. :)

If you watch the video Robin it explains how the main fund raiser is the raffle held onboard for the framed navigation chart of your voyage. You buy a ticket...Or more than one, if you wish and all the money collected from each cruise goes to the Christmas GIVE fund.

The video also features the lovely Tracie Jones, who was HR Manager on our recent June voyage. Such a nice person. :)

Thanks Lottie! I knew the chart was given away-use to learn how at Captains party. notice I did not notice in June.. I rather give directly at front desk. .wonder if I can charge it to me room. I have given thru Mia to the Quest fire and the death of the young man last winter. But o na day to day I am thinking about it.

Thank you as this will also help newbies etc.

I like this idea.

Thanks for the link

I know Gratuities are included for the cruise. However is it expected to leave a tip when dining in the specialties ?

No tipping is expected throughout the ship! That's one of the benefits you pay for when you cruise Azamara, If a crew member saves your life, yes then a

tip would be properly acceptable!

If gratuities are included, as they are advertised with Azamara, then nothing should be expected in any way in addition. Period.

If it makes you feel good about yourself to tip above & beyond what has already been included in your cruise expense, knock yourself out. PLEASE don't then go on this board to ask how much extra you should give....

I LOVE the Seabourn approach - they won't even take your money so the cruise line really means what they say when they advertise that gratuities are included.

We did give extra to the cruise fund -NOT a large sum this week - and were very touched to receive a thank you card they have printed with a hand written note on behalf of the crew. Not had that before, it was a lovely touch

We did give extra to the cruise fund -NOT a large sum this week - and were very touched to receive a thank you card they have printed with a hand written note on behalf of the crew. Not had that before, it was a lovely touch

Yes, recently we've received a card, and a gracious phone call from the human resources manager.

How lovely Ann. Not at all expected, but very nice.

I must say a particular member of the Journey crew has been very helpful with some personal onboard birthday arrangements for my mother next week and as he is way above a "tippable grade" then giving something to the crew fund is a good way to show my appreciation for his kindness.

As for some other responses to the OP...He is perfectly entitled to ask a legitimate question about tipping. The good thing about Azamara is that tips for "normal" service are definitely not expected. However, if someone goes way beyond that normal service for a guest, then it is an individual decision whether you think a tip is deserved...and it is nothing to do with "feeling good about yourself".

Tipping is indeed not expected.

However, I do tip in Aqualina and Prime C and I hand an envelope to the butler at the end of the cruise. That's just my personal choice.

I feel the same way. I sometimes look for one or two bartenders who make the prefect drink also. Has far as the crew fund goes I admit I have forgotten about it. But have helped after the fire. All info I needed was on here and gave what I could.

My problem with this question is that it leads perpetually to the question that doesn't need to be asked. If tips are included - enough said. If you want to give more, do so --- but PLEASE don't bring that question to these boards to ask how MUCH extra is appropriate.

The answer is that NOTHING, NO ADDITIONAL AMOUNT, is appropriate. What has already been taken care of in your cruise fee is the right amount. BUT, if you want to give something additional to those who have given personal service, do so at your own discretion which is what we do always.

Deep sigh. Just do what is in your heart. The required part has been taken care of for you by Azamara

Edited by shedridt
misspoke name of cruise line!!!