anyone do $99 premium economy upgrade?

Dr65

I'm thinking about trying Oceania's offer for the $99 upgrade to Europe from LA. Has anyone done this? Is this a true Premium Economy or similar to United's Plus with just more legroom? Thanks for any info.

I'm thinking about trying Oceania's offer for the $99 upgrade to Europe from LA. Has anyone done this? Is this a true Premium Economy or similar to United's Plus with just more legroom? Thanks for any info.

Depends on the airline they put you on. As you know, premium economy varies from airline to airline and if you put your air travel strictly in O's hands, you get what they give you.

That said, perhaps you can put the choice of airlines in your hands by deviating but, then you risk that the true premium economy airline costs more plus the deviation than the $99 plus the $175 deviation per person.

Doubt anyone on this board can give you a definitive answer. Best to phone thw O air desk or have your TA do the same and see what they come up with as far as no deviation or deviating to a preferred airline with the good premium economy.

Edited by rallydave

From what I understand, this is true Premium and isn't really offered by domestic carriers. Oceania will put you on an airline like Virgin Atlantic or SAS and upgrade you. I played around with the Virgin website and the upgrade was over $1000 from their standard seating. It included wider seats in addition to more legroom, better food served on china, etc. I would go for it!

I believe it is only on specific cruises & only applies to the international flight portion (over the water)

the fine print

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/promotion-terms/

$99 Air Upgrade is a Premium Economy Air Upgrade. It applies to intercontinental flights only and is priced per person, each way, on select voyages from select gateways, based on availability and expires 8/31/15. Not all amenities will be available on all carriers.

We just booked air on O - regular economy and we were able to upgrade seats on Delta to their Premium Economy - domestic. We get a little more leg room and preferred seating and boarding. We did not pay O but Delta for the seat upgrade.

We did the same for our return from Stockholm to NY

We did the $99 premium upgrade last August originating at LAX. As mentioned the upgrade really kicks in when you go International. We were put on United from LAX to Washington DC to connect with SAS to Copenhage and then SAS to Stockholm which was embarkation. Returning we flew from Amsterdam to Heathrow when we had a great non stop on British Air with seats in the upper cabin. Worked out great for us. THe trick is to select your seats once you have the ticket numbers. Makes all the difference.

We took advantage of this program last summer to/from Heathrow on British Airways and it was the best "premium economy" we ever had. The seats were comfortable and the leg room (which we both need) was great. If you book BA you won't be disappointed.

I believe it is only on specific cruises & only applies to the international flight portion (over the water)

the fine print

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/promotion-terms/

$99 Air Upgrade is a Premium Economy Air Upgrade. It applies to intercontinental flights only and is priced per person, each way, on select voyages from select gateways, based on availability and expires 8/31/15. Not all amenities will be available on all carriers.

This is pretty funny Linda because intercontinental means through the US and not overseas...

Someone at O needs to go back to school..

Jancruz1

This is pretty funny Linda because intercontinental means through the US and not overseas...

Someone at O needs to go back to school..

Jancruz1

I thought across the U.S. was trans-continental.:confused: or intra-continental

Edited by turnip eater

intercontinenal

adjective

between or among continents; involving two or more continents:

intercontinental trade.

traveling or capable of traveling between continents:

intercontinental airplanes.

trans continental

adjective

passing or extending across a continent:

a transcontinental railroad.

on the other, or far, side of a continent.

intercontinenal

adjective

between or among continents; involving two or more continents:

intercontinental trade.

traveling or capable of traveling between continents:

intercontinental airplanes.

trans continental

adjective

passing or extending across a continent:

a transcontinental railroad.

on the other, or far, side of a continent.

Whoops my bad..LOL

Jancruz1

The confusion here is a very common one:

1.Intra- means “within” or “inside”; inter- means “between.”

2.The prefix intra- is used to form words which mean “within a single group”; the prefix inter- is used for forming words which mean “between two groups., such as Intercontinental.”

My trick for remembering the difference is that Intramural Sports are played indoors (within walls)....only termites engage in Intermural activity ;)

The confusion here is a very common one:

1.Intra- means “within” or “inside”; inter- means “between.”

2.The prefix intra- is used to form words which mean “within a single group”; the prefix inter- is used for forming words which mean “between two groups., such as Intercontinental.”

My trick for remembering the difference is that Intramural Sports are played indoors (within walls)....only termites engage in Intermural activity ;)

Stan (or Jim):

Everything was fine until you used Intramural Sports as an example. While intramural does mean within walls, in the case of sports it has a secondary meaning of within a school or institution. Many Intramural sports are played outdoors. How often do you get to correct the Jeopardy twins!! Lol :)

Very much like the Premium Economy Air add-on promotion. As others have said PE is different things on different airlines but with the deviation, and who does not buy that along with O's air (and have to arrive the day of) and pick your flights it can be great value to Europe. Though picking some airlines with expensive PE upgrade could add to that deviation considerably but you never know until you ask. So realistically it is not $99 but closer to $300 pp, ((99+99)x2)+175=$575 for two. A great add-on if you can make it work.

Unfortunately all our vacation time is booked so hope they continue offering this.

As someone else said, it depends on the airline. For flights to Europe, British Airways has a good one, and Air France also has a decent PE, as well as Cathay Pacific (for Asia). I think I like the BA seats somewhat better than AF; the latter are the hard-shell seats, but still quite comfortable. Service on BA is quite uneven, but if you get a good flight, you are treated very well, and definitely have upgraded amenities. I'll await Kathy's experience on Delta because I haven't done that. We're fllying AF to Paris using PE again this fall.

Oh, and we did upgrade to PE with Oceania a couple of years ago, one-way for a westbound TA. It worked out very well, we picked the flights on BA. But it cost more than $99 pp!!

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

As someone else said, it depends on the airline. For flights to Europe, British Airways has a good one, and Air France also has a decent PE, as well as Cathay Pacific (for Asia). I think I like the BA seats somewhat better than AF; the latter are the hard-shell seats, but still quite comfortable. Service on BA is quite uneven, but if you get a good flight, you are treated very well, and definitely have upgraded amenities. I'll await Kathy's experience on Delta because I haven't done that. We're fllying AF to Paris using PE again this fall.

Oh, and we did upgrade to PE with Oceania a couple of years ago, one-way for a westbound TA. It worked out very well, we picked the flights on BA. But it cost more than $99 pp!!

Just to clarify, there is no such thing as "Premium Economy" on U.S. carriers. Delta has economy comfort which provides add'l legroom to conventional seat and a little more recline with early boarding. American (main cabin extra) and United (economy plus) provide only add'l legroom. Premium economy on European airlines includes more legroom, but also provide a separate section with wider and reclining seats and better food really more like domestic U.S. first class cabins.