Celebrity Edge Ships-Any updates

CincyAL

Since we are a little more than a year away from the first of two (or more) Edge Class ships do we have any confirmed details as to part of the world targeted for itineraries? Size wise they are between Milennium Class and Solstice Class.

Since we are a little more than a year away from the first of two (or more) Edge Class ships do we have any confirmed details as to part of the world targeted for itineraries? Size wise they are between Milennium Class and Solstice Class.

If you do a search, there are a couple of recent threads. Celebrity has released nothing beyond the original press release. There are some room renderings on the threads mentioned but they are not from Celebrity. In the past we usually get info at the announcement of the first steel cutting which should be soon.

Nothing! [emoji31]there is another main thread that people had been posting any new rumours or details...but it's been quiet of late.

Agree it's getting close to when you would expect one of them to start being built so hopefully some news will be forthcoming soon!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Late winter we heard that news would be coming shortly... then nothing. Is this normal? They use "Edge" as the project name. What could be so cutting edge? Could the new ships be Ocean liners like QM2 rather than today's Cruise ships? Could they be large catamaran style ships? That would be cutting edge.

The first ones not due till fall 2018 so just under 2 years to go, I'd say they will release details soon as I'm sure they'll want to release sales/itinerary details with the rest of the schedule which normally gets released November/December time for fall 2018 onwards

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by MR_T

• 1 month later...

I found a recent article (3 November 2016) in a French online magazine reporting Maritime news. I put the text through Google Translate which is less than perfect, so I clarified a few sections with my knowledge of French.

However, I work in a French speaking financial environment, so French maritime terminology is not really my forte. The general information should be clear and correct, I hope.

The section I bolded mentions when we can expect new details to be unveiled.

Later this month STX France will cut the first sheets of the "J34", the first of four ships in a new generation ships of the "Edge" class, destined for the American company Celebrity Cruises.

The ships will be 300 meters long, will weigh 117,000 GT and will have 1450 cabins. Compared to mastodonts currently under construction in Saint-Nazaire, such as the fourth ship in the Oasis class (362 meters, 227,700 GT, 2747 cabins), these boats will be relatively small. But they are extremely interesting for the French shipyard since they will be very high-end ships and the J34 is a completely new prototype.

The president of the RCCL group (parent company of Celebrity) promises that the Edge class ships will be exceptional. "The Edge class will be just as trendsetting as the Oasis," said Richard Fain, who believes that these new ships will be present a similar structural break in the premium cruising market as the one caused by Royal Caribbean International's Oasis class giants in the mainstream cruiseship segment.

While the J34 [first Edge class ship] will be delivered in the fall of 2018, the design of the ship remains secret but we already know that it will be completely different than anything constructed at the shipyard up to now . That is all which is know at the moment, as Richard Fain indicated that the first details on this new class of ships would not be unveiled until early 2017.

After the J34, its first sistership, the K34, will be delivered in early 2020. Two additional ships will follow, with delivery scheduled for the fall of 2021 and the fall of 2022.

source: http://www.meretmarine.com/fr/content/saint-nazaire-va-lancer-la-construction-du-premier-edge

Edited by [g]cruiserke

This concept photo leaked out.:rolleyes:Screenshot2010-04-23at74920PM.png

I very much doubt this is the Edge class design seeing as that picture was posted on a Tumblr group called uglyships back in 2011 :)

http://uglyships.tumblr.com/post/10681598631/dunno-source-via-the-interwebs-x-bow

Edited by [g]cruiserke