Problems with the Unlimited Open Bar?

Rou-Dyliq

IMO "how rude" is a faulty memory posting here.

I'm not sure who you're referring to here, but it seems you might be referring to me. If you're not, then please excuse my apology for assuming incorrectly.

I can assure you that in my case, it is not a faulty memory. Someone asked about problems with UBP, and I reported one time when I had a problem.

Wow, message boards are strange places, where people feel comfortable telling others that they basically made up a story to tell.

I'm not sure who you're referring to here, but it seems you might be referring to me. If you're not, then please excuse my apology for assuming incorrectly.

I can assure you that in my case, it is not a faulty memory. Someone asked about problems with UBP, and I reported one time when I had a problem.

Wow, message boards are strange places, where people feel comfortable telling others that they basically made up a story to tell.

You got that right! Message boards can be a great place to get information, and a great place to be insulted, ridiculed, whipped with a wet noodle, dragged through the mud and wishing you never posted. :eek:

Yes, I believe it should have been an extra charge of just a few dollars. I don't really know how much he charged me. I just asked why there was a charge and then he took the glass from me.
Well he is not suited for that job dealing with people that's for sure. You were probably too kind to complain to his boss....but he sure could have used a reprimand or two.

We have never had an issue with UBP including when I ordered shots to make my vodka tonic a double. I waited a bit then ordered the shot and it was never an issue. Then again we stick to the drinks under the amount covered so there is never any question. I am sorry a few people had an unpleasant episode especially being refused something listed on the menu.

So I assume a double would be over the dollar limit?

So I assume a double would be over the dollar limit?

I think this is one of those grey areas. Technically, charging you for a double may well take it over the limit, but if it is run up as two singles then you will be fine.

I have certainly been served doubles with the UBP at no extra charge. I don't recall ever asking for one though. If I've had a double it has usually been at the suggestion of the bar staff.

The number of wines available by the glass is fairly limited, so maybe this was the problem they had. Perhaps they were after wine that had previously been available by the glass (and therefore with the UBP), but is no longer available like that.

We had the UBP for our Sun Alaska cruise last September and the choice of wines by the glass were limited to I think eight choices. There was NO robust Cabernet choice. The red wine choices generally were poor.

We won't be selecting the UBP in the future.

There are ways around that. If you want a double Jack & Coke, er, Pepsi, and they say it's over the limit, then get a regular one and also a Jack neat. Then pour it in your mixed drink.

What may have happened ordering the wine under the UBP limit is they serve a regular pour, a half glass and a full glass at different prices. Sometimes the half glass is still under the dollar limit but they won't let you get that, only the regular pour. I'm not sure why as it would save them some time having to give you refills more often but I've always been told that wine is single pour only, even if half glass is under the UBP limit.

My only "problem" is the exorbitant cost for drinks in the first place. $18 for a cocktail is rediculous, and a huge price increase since my last cruise with NCL in 2010. Open bar or not, it still reeks of nickel and diming (Pay taxes on the "value" of the package to the tune of a couple hundred bucks, then still get charged a few bucks plus tip if you want something that isn't on the lower end of their offerings.) No rhyme or reason as to costs (Seems pricing is based on demand, and not cost, see mention of chocolate martinis earlier in this thread). It's all a game to separate us from our money, and the more deceptive they are, the more they'll be able to extract from us. I'd rather they were more transparent about all this. Nothing is "free" (drink package, specialty dining) when it adds hundreds of dollars to the cost before you even board, and then it's not "free" once you arrive anyway.

A Dark n Stormy on NCL runs 17.95, an up charge of 2.95 plus 18% over the UBP. The same drink on Carnival is 8.50. Grey Goose unflavored vodka is covered under the package, but after the price increase from 6/16, the flavored variations have the up charge, but all of the bottles cost the same to purchase at the duty-free shop.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

My only "problem" is the exorbitant cost for drinks in the first place. $18 for a cocktail is rediculous, and a huge price increase since my last cruise with NCL in 2010. Open bar or not, it still reeks of nickel and diming (Pay taxes on the "value" of the package to the tune of a couple hundred bucks, then still get charged a few bucks plus tip if you want something that isn't on the lower end of their offerings.) No rhyme or reason as to costs (Seems pricing is based on demand, and not cost, see mention of chocolate martinis earlier in this thread). It's all a game to separate us from our money, and the more deceptive they are, the more they'll be able to extract from us. I'd rather they were more transparent about all this. Nothing is "free" (drink package, specialty dining) when it adds hundreds of dollars to the cost before you even board, and then it's not "free" once you arrive anyway.

You don't have to get the UDP, you can pick other "perks" if the taxes bother you. The Wifi package or port credit would fit your definition of truly "free". For us, the UDP is great, and literally such a bargain. We are new to cruising (first in March, booked our second in November), but heard horror stories of people on other lines getting off the ship with a $2000 bar tab!! So I don't feel like the UDP nickels and dimes me at all. We start drinking mimosas at breakfast and don't stop until we crawl in bed late at night. Maybe that's why we have fallen in love with cruising! Regardless, NCL and the UDP fit with our new definition of vacation paradise!

so coffee with liquor is included?

The Irish coffee is specifically included. It is listed in the menus.

As for other drinks with coffee. I've never asked for one, so can't talk from experience, but it kind of depends.

Remember, coffee itself may be free. It depends the type and where you get it from. The coffee that is chargeable is the espresso based ones that you get from the atrium cafe (lattes, cappuccino etc) or espressos etc that you get from the restaurants.

You can get other coffee for no extra charge, and can then chuck whatever you want in with it. However, whether you can get the coffee from the particular bar that you are at is possibly an issue.

When ordering the Irish coffee you often have to wait for them to get the coffee from elsewhere. They will do that. I have never asked for just a coffee so can't say how willing they would be to go running around to get you a coffee for other drinks.

There is obviously nothing to stop you getting a free coffee from somewhere and then ordering a shot to put in it.

You don't have to get the UDP, you can pick other "perks" if the taxes bother you. The Wifi package or port credit would fit your definition of truly "free". For us, the UDP is great, and literally such a bargain. We are new to cruising (first in March, booked our second in November), but heard horror stories of people on other lines getting off the ship with a $2000 bar tab!! So I don't feel like the UDP nickels and dimes me at all. We start drinking mimosas at breakfast and don't stop until we crawl in bed late at night. Maybe that's why we have fallen in love with cruising! Regardless, NCL and the UDP fit with our new definition of vacation paradise!

I think your entire post is talking about the UBP, not the UDP, which is a dining package that no longer exists.

On the Gem in April, regular size glass of wine (5 ounce?) was included in UBP but large glass (9ounce?) was not even though the large was less than $15.

I asked why it was not included despite being less than $15 and was told "that's just how they do it."

I then asked for a glass for me and one for my Wife and then poured one into the other and handed back the empty glass.

They why do they even offer it by the glass? That's a poor excuse!

Especially since there are a few decent brands that RETAIL in the $30.00 range. With two glasses served from a new bottle at the UBP limit price ( $15.00 ) anything after those first two would be more than what they paid for the entire bottle at their wholesale cost.

bosco

They are a business. They are professionals at separating you from your money. And packages are optional

Every time I ordered a drink (not that many) that was over $15, I was informed there would be an extra charge. My father-in-law routinely ordered drinks costing $16.95 and $17.95, and he was informed each time -- even if it was the same waiter -- of the overage before the drink was poured.

The only time I had a problem was in Le Bistro. I wanted a glass of champagne (not prosecco) that was listed on the menu for $12.95/glass. They told me it wasn't included because they would have to open a whole bottle.

I had the same problem in Le Bistro on Escape. They didn't say why, but simply wouldn't let me have the wine!

A Dark n Stormy on NCL runs 17.95, an up charge of 2.95 plus 18% over the UBP. The same drink on Carnival is 8.50. Grey Goose unflavored vodka is covered under the package, but after the price increase from 6/16, the flavored variations have the up charge, but all of the bottles cost the same to purchase at the duty-free shop.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

My husband drinks Dark n Stormy. I've forgotten the brand of rum they use in it on NCL ships, but in April when we were on the Dawn my husband would just ask for a Captain Morgan and ginger beer and there was no upcharge.

The only time I had a problem was in Le Bistro. I wanted a glass of champagne (not prosecco) that was listed on the menu for $12.95/glass. They told me it wasn't included because they would have to open a whole bottle.

and if you told them you planned on having a few?....... Or if you didn't buy the drink package would they sell you a glass? Either way, "not my problem, open it for me and I will have a glass now".

I think your entire post is talking about the UBP, not the UDP, which is a dining package that no longer exists.

sorry, yes you are correct! When I respond to boards after a glass or two of wine, I get my acronyms all messed up! I mean the drink package currently offered!