American Airlines is absolutely infuriating!

Bruin Steve

I don't try to telephone major corporations anymore. I do my complaining on Twitter and Yelp. I invariably get a private message requesting details and contact info almost always within 24 hours. These folks do not want you saying bad things about them on social media.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I too agree that when flying domestic FC that the redeye flights aren't worth it (at least to me). At times I have booked two oneway flights... redeye=coach or comfort +...normal hours = FC...this works for me.

If you are talking International Business and First, I agree. No American airline compares with any international airline.

Horsefeathers. AA's 773 business class is right up there. I've only flown on United's current business class product once, but it too was comparable to almost any European carrier I've flown.

Horsefeathers. AA's 773 business class is right up there. I've only flown on United's current business class product once, but it too was comparable to almost any European carrier I've flown.

I very much enjoyed United's Global First service. And the old US Airways Envoy Suites were great... Both perhaps are not as posh as the Asian and some European airlines, but better than many European products I can name off the top my head.

About the OP's disappoint in the domestic first class. Yeah, not very exciting and I would not have used 100,000 points to get it. If you get saver awards, then it is worth it ( maybe) . I always compare domestic FC award tickets with revenue tickets. It is frequently worth it just to buy them and save your miles for long haul flights.

Or, if you are going to spend a big amount on your miles account, you can do a US-Europe-US flight on Lufthansa or Air France in real first class and get lounge access. LOL

Kidding aside, it's sad to see the current state of domestic "first class" when before it was a synonym of luxury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or, if you are going to spend a big amount on your miles account, you can do a US-Europe-US flight on Lufthansa or Air France in real first class and get lounge access. LOL

Kidding aside, it's sad to see the current state of domestic "first class" when before it was a synonym of luxury.

How long ago was that? More than 30 years ago I would think.

How long ago was that? More than 30 years ago I would think.

You don't have to go that far, maybe 15-20 years ago. Before they started to remove perks due to the crisis.

I stopped flying First Class long time ago, I just do it if the price is right, sometimes you can find the difference between First Class and Coach being around $150-$160 US in a non-premium transcon routes (not NYC-LA/SFO), and that may be worth it for the two bags and the "extra, generous" legroom.

I must say, the folks on here are much nicer than on flyertalk where the OP made the EXACT same post in the AA section and got hammered. It got so bad that the thread was locked by the mods. Basically the same responses....lack of advance planning and unrealistic expectations. :rolleyes:

I must say, the folks on here are much nicer than on flyertalk where the OP made the EXACT same post in the AA section and got hammered. It got so bad that the thread was locked by the mods. Basically the same responses....lack of advance planning and unrealistic expectations. :rolleyes:

And, boy...

It sure taught me not to complain about AA's poor customer service and worthless notion of what "First Class" SHOULD mean.

You and your cohorts on flyer talk (and a few here) really take umbrage over negative comments about AA.

I guess it's all my fault. We should all just accept that First Class means little more than Coach...and that American Airlines has created a system whereby there is virtually no way to reach anyone at corporate. ...And anything else that happens is just MY fault.

Of course, everyone on flyer talk had such great advice...such as: Book via Miami--even though the AAdvantage program never released ANY seats LAX to Miami. Therein lies one of my major complaints: All of the AAdvantage miles I accumulated had become worthless sinc I haven't been able to book air for any trip using them for the last few years except this one. But, of course, I had the audacity to believe those miles should have been worth something near their cost (and, yes, there is a cost). But, yes, it is MY fault that I bothered trying to redeem them.

The responses on flyer talk made me think all of the participants there are probably AA execs. It would be hard to find folks as lock-step behind a corporation as one finds on that board. Seriously, you can post negatively on the Carnival board here (where there are some of the most blind supporters on Cruise Critic) and you will still find some regulars who will agree with you.

You don't have to go that far, maybe 15-20 years ago. Before they started to remove perks due to the crisis.

I stopped flying First Class long time ago, I just do it if the price is right, sometimes you can find the difference between First Class and Coach being around $150-$160 US in a non-premium transcon routes (not NYC-LA/SFO), and that may be worth it for the two bags and the "extra, generous" legroom.

I have never been impressed with the first class seats for most domestic flights and I am fairly certain the first class seats have not been significantly changed for many years for instance the MD80 seats. And I do not think they have ever allowed access to the Admiral's Club. But I do miss the hot fudge Sundae's when upgraded on the Ord to Lax flights.

Returned Sunday from our cruise on Celebrity Silhouette.

We had booked First Class round trip on AA LAX to FLL using AAdvantage miles--booking almost a year ago. Got "okay" flights--left Friday, March 18 on the red-eye--10:40 pm, arriving FLL at 9:31 am after a stop and change of planes in Charlotte. Flight home post-cruise was supposed to be 1:30 pm, changing in DFW, arriving home 7:00 pm. Reserved seats in row 2 on all four legs, reserved meals on flights home.

First off, AA gives you nothing at the airport for being First Class...but they did offer a "day pass" for the Admirals Club Lounge for only $50 per person...Way to nickel and dime your first class passengers, AA!

The seats on the plane were only marginally better than coach...A tiny drop extra leg room, about 2 inches wider...but hard, uncomfortable and no more "recline" than coach. Service was nonexistent--they came around once for drinks and also handed out tiny dishes of mixed nuts. No food. Also no entertainment--unless you brought along your own laptop and headphones and PAID for internet service and for movies. This is "First Class", folks!

Food on the second leg consisted of the flight attendant passing by with a basket with a choice of small bags of potato chips, popcorn or cranberry biscotti.

And the flights there were the better of the two!

The morning of the disembarkation, as we were about to disembark and head for FLL, we got an E-mail from AA:

"BeNotified

Your flight is cancelled

American Airlines flight 2280 from Dallas/Fort Worth to Los Angeles on Sunday, March 27, 2016 at 5:35 PM has been cancelled. We’re working to rebook your trip now and will send you an update soon.

Dallas/Fort Worth to Los Angeles

Sunday, March 27, 2016

To make changes to your travel plans

Call the travel agent who made your original reservation

From outside the U.S. or for special assistance contact us

From within the U.S. call 1-800-433-7300

If you booked with American Airlines Vacations call 800-486-7523"

Seriously!

Eventually, we found out they switched us to flights later in the day via Charlotte (flights that were eventually delayed a couple of hours, getting us home much later than planned). The message showed that we had seats on the first, shorter leg...but no seats on the cross-country leg. I looked it up on the AA website and only two seats showed as available in First Class--both windows (I always book an aisle--claustrophobic) and 4 rows apart. I tried calling AA to see if we could get seats together...or, perhaps a different flight, maybe routed through Dallas or Phoenix...even asked about going to Miami and flying from there. Nothing. They said, "maybe...ask when I get to Charlotte...or maybe...someone will give up their aisle seat and switch with you". Good luck.

When we got to FLL, I asked the guy at the desk about switching seats...Told him what happened--that the flight was apparently cancelled that morning... "No", he said, "that flight was cancelled WEEKS AGO...They stopped running that route, it's no longer on the schedule". Again, seriously? Could they not have informed us of this WHEN they cancelled it? Perhaps, back then, we might have arranged a different flight...or, at least, seats together...

Seats going home worse than going...same plane, basically, but the seat in Row 4 had virtually no recline...there is a wall behind it...and, on that wall are rods where they hang the coats and jackets of First Class passengers. Again, hard uncomfortable seats, no entertainment except for paid internet and movies, potato chips on the first leg. On the second, cross country leg, there was a meal...but, by the time they got to the fourth and final row of first class, there was no choice--rubber chicken with hard to identify sides.

Now, here is where it gets really infuriating:

The day after getting home, I decided to contact AA to let them know how I felt. After all, I had paid 100,000 AAdvantage points hoping to maybe get a little sleep on the overnight flight...and a little first class treatment. Coach seats (which I guess are never available nowadays anyway) should have been a mere 40,000 points.

The only avenue AA gives you to contact them is by email or snail mail. I sent a completely descriptive email. Got a call back. The representative said "Thank you. I will forward your comments to Operations so they might make any needed improvements. As a token of our appreciation, we will send you a voucher for $100 toward a future AA flight which must be taken within the next year." I told them to keep it. I find that token amount insulting.

So, this morning I tried calling AA. Virtually EVERY number one can find for them results in Voicemail Purgatory. You cannot get through to a live person on any AA number except Reservations...and they claim to have no way to connect you or give you a valid phone number for ANYONE. They actually claim they have never spoken to anyone at corporate. Can't be done.

I finally found a number for AAdvantage customer service that worked. (The one on the website for AAdvantage Customer Service was just another intro to Voicemail Purgatory.) Spoke with a very nice rep there--who was very sympathetic and said she would go to her supervisors and try to get me a refund of my excess AAdvantage points...She returned and offered me a whopping 3,000 points. Remember, the difference between coach and First Class alone was 60,000 points. 3,000 is almost worthless--especially since you can never even get available flights at lower award values. She agreed with me that it should have been much higher but that was all they were authorized to give. She suggested I write again and complain again. So, I did. This time I suggested a couple of proposals: 1) They upgrade my next flight (LAX to Heathrow) from coach to Business class or 2) They refund 60,000 of my miles so I can use them for my air to my cruise next June.

I got another return call for customer service. The rep denied my requests and offered me......3,000 points...and then said that she thought "that was fair"...I said "Seriously? I know that is the "official line" that you are required to say, but, really, do you REALLY think that's fair? She said NO...but that is what she is trained to say. That is the standard offer they make to EVERYBODY and they are told to insist that it is a fair offer. I pleaded with her to give me a number for corporate that would actually get through...and she told me she wished she had a number to give me...but they have NOTHING.

So, basically, this is the American Airlines standard for "Customer Service":

You CAN NOT call them.

You can not do anything but write...and hope they answer.

The clerks who answer are only authorized to give you a token back.

If you don't like it, "Thank you for flying American...click."

I just went through a similiar booking... you got crummy flights because you opted to use the 25,000 mile which is full of connections VS the 43,000 wach way mile ticket which is all non stops in sleeper seats..meals movies

But wait, thats some 2800 in ticket value you would have spent. Good deal at 25 k( 50 rt or $1600 in value cost) HOWEVER, IF YOU PAID CASH FOR REVENUE TICKET....BOUGHT IT!!!.. $460 EACH WAY NON STOP IN WIDE BODY COMFY...ant thats in full international grade first class... not some 737 or 320

So you need to know that when you opt for the cheap thats what you get...a cheap experience.. But dont jump, to use your "saved" not free, miles as they have a real cash purchasing power, because you could end up paying 30% more in miles than just buying it......

Edited by Hawaiidan

Since many long haul flights now hub or connect you can get the international equipment lie flats...business first... IF you know the routes, the equipment and the market....you can pick a lot of real good seats

I dont dump a single mile and I have very hefty 7 figure milage accounf and al Similiar Marriot for hotels, intill I compare the cost I can buy a ticket to the cost ( in lost value or purchase power...which even if free is real) of what it would cost to replace those miles.

Flying UAL LAX to FRA in 3 months 57,000 miles business first non stop sleeper.. Ticket would have been $7500

Pick and spend wisely grasshopper

The responses on flyer talk made me think all of the participants there are probably AA execs. It would be hard to find folks as lock-step behind a corporation as one finds on that board.
Which is a typical retort from people who post on FT about their unrealistic expectations, who get told as much, but who don't like hearing the truth.

One thing you can rely on there is that the people who post that truth have a deep intimate knowledge of the airlines that they're writing about, from the point of view of regular customers. There are plenty of people on FT who fly on more days of the year than not, and for whom one domestic round trip is probably hardly worth thinking about. Here on CC, you simply don't get that depth of daily experience as a customer about any cruise line, even from the line's own supporters.

And if you read FT in any detail, you'll see that they can also be the airlines' most vocal critics - when there is something worth criticising the airline about. If they didn't think much of your complaints, that's almost certainly because there really wasn't much in them when seen from the perspective of people who fly all the time.

You'll probably get kinder responses here on CC because very few of us here are truly frequent flyers. I mean, I've done about 55,000 miles already this year (calendar 2016), including 8 long-haul (inter-continental) flights and 18 short-hauls, and I'm an occasional leisure passenger compared to the real frequent flyers.

A very key point that would be useful to non-frequent fliers is being obscured a little bit here.

Always tend your reservation. Especially ones made far in advance. Routes change. Equipment changes. Seats change. Schedules change. Check your reservations and your seats every week or so, and even a bit more frequently in the last weeks before your flight. If there is a significant change, use resources like flyertalk to research your options, know exactly what to ask for, and how to request it.

Tending to your tickets also means understanding what it means to be ticketed on a flight. "Confirmed" doesn't mean much. If you make a change, or the airline changes your ticket, make sure your new flight is actually ticketed -- that is, you have a ticket number on your receipt or you can see it online. If you have travel on partners -- for example using miles in program x to book flights on airline y -- make sure airline y can see your e-ticket by learning how to find your reservation on Y's website or by calling. There are more than a few stories out there of award tickets being changed but not properly being ticketed and the operating carrier refusing to carry the passenger.

Our something on your calendar and tend your tickets. Fix problems before you are to fly. Don't rely on email from the airline, especially if you have a spam filter.

...I guess it's all my fault. We should all just accept that First Class means little more than Coach...and that American Airlines has created a system whereby there is virtually no way to reach anyone at corporate. ...And anything else that happens is just MY fault....

Not your fault, merely unrealistic expectations of what is being peddled by the airlines as domestic "First Class". You'd get the same thing on United, except your flights are likelier to be late. Just think of domestic first class as a recliner rental and some free baggage, cause that's all your fare really pays for. Not specific seats, not specific equipment, not specific routes, not specific dates. Just eventual transportation from A to B in a that class of cabin.

If you don't like it and want to complain, the airline will just laugh. Flights are full, why should they care? They're sure as heck not going to invest their customer service budget on leisure travelers.

And, boy...

It sure taught me not to complain about AA's poor customer service and worthless notion of what "First Class" SHOULD mean.

You and your cohorts on flyer talk (and a few here) really take umbrage over negative comments about AA.

I guess it's all my fault. We should all just accept that First Class means little more than Coach...and that American Airlines has created a system whereby there is virtually no way to reach anyone at corporate. ...And anything else that happens is just MY fault.

Of course, everyone on flyer talk had such great advice...such as: Book via Miami--even though the AAdvantage program never released ANY seats LAX to Miami. Therein lies one of my major complaints: All of the AAdvantage miles I accumulated had become worthless sinc I haven't been able to book air for any trip using them for the last few years except this one. But, of course, I had the audacity to believe those miles should have been worth something near their cost (and, yes, there is a cost). But, yes, it is MY fault that I bothered trying to redeem them.

The responses on flyer talk made me think all of the participants there are probably AA execs. It would be hard to find folks as lock-step behind a corporation as one finds on that board. Seriously, you can post negatively on the Carnival board here (where there are some of the most blind supporters on Cruise Critic) and you will still find some regulars who will agree with you.

In POST 17 I provided you with a link to all the Exective contact numbers! Why don't you let them know what you think. I don't believe they care but you wanted to know how to actually reach someone. There you go!

I think domestic first class is quite an upgrade over coach. If you're expecting an experience like the spa at the Four Seasons, you will be disappointed. But to me, if expectations are in check, it's pretty good. In fact, AA has made some improvements lately. Any flight here or there can be disappointing. So, if it's a special occasion and you blow all your miles for it, disappointment is a possibility, but on average it's a nice treat.

Edited by Regguy

I like domestic first class. I like the wider seats and extra legroom, the overhead bin space, the nicer snacks, hot meals on longer flights, and real glasses. I like getting a cocktail or cup of coffee on the tarmac.

SMH that someone would demand 60K miles or (hee) an upgrade on a LAX-LHR flight as compensation for hiccups on a domestic route. Seriously? Maybe I should demand a free steak dinner and bottle of Dom the next time a waiter brings the wrong salad dressing.

And no, I'm not an AA exec, employees, fanboi or even customer.

I like domestic first class. I like the wider seats and extra legroom, the overhead bin space, the nicer snacks, hot meals on longer flights, and real glasses. I like getting a cocktail or cup of coffee on the tarmac.

SMH that someone would demand 60K miles or (hee) an upgrade on a LAX-LHR flight as compensation for hiccups on a domestic route. Seriously? Maybe I should demand a free steak dinner and bottle of Dom the next time a waiter brings the wrong salad dressing.

And no, I'm not an AA exec, employees, fanboi or even customer.

First of all, forget about the notion of "overhead bin space"...with restrictions and fees on checked luggage, the overhead bin space is full...everywhere...people in coach cram their stuff in the first class bins as well...

As to my requesting what you seem to think is unreasonable compensation, I spent a career negotiating. I always open up high. Foolish to let the other side set the parameters. On this one, I actually got them to move considerably off of their 3,000 mile opening...and that was just in dealing with the customer service rep...not the 60,000 I asked for, but not their initial position either. But, if you don't ask, you don't get. And, from the responses I've seen both here and on flyertalk, I'm guessing most of you don't bother asking. Maybe you should.

So, yes, I asked...seriously!

A very key point that would be useful to non-frequent fliers is being obscured a little bit here.

Always tend your reservation. Especially ones made far in advance. Routes change. Equipment changes. Seats change. Schedules change. Check your reservations and your seats every week or so, and even a bit more frequently in the last weeks before your flight. If there is a significant change, use resources like flyertalk to research your options, know exactly what to ask for, and how to request it.

Tending to your tickets also means understanding what it means to be ticketed on a flight. "Confirmed" doesn't mean much. If you make a change, or the airline changes your ticket, make sure your new flight is actually ticketed -- that is, you have a ticket number on your receipt or you can see it online. If you have travel on partners -- for example using miles in program x to book flights on airline y -- make sure airline y can see your e-ticket by learning how to find your reservation on Y's website or by calling. There are more than a few stories out there of award tickets being changed but not properly being ticketed and the operating carrier refusing to carry the passenger.

Our something on your calendar and tend your tickets. Fix problems before you are to fly. Don't rely on email from the airline, especially if you have a spam filter.

Great advice! Here is what happened to us when one of our flights was eliminated by the airline and we were rerouted thru a different hub. I saw the change on line, the new itinerary was there, I was able to fix our seat choices because the new itinerary meant different equipment. HOWEVER, our very experienced, highly recommended by friends, travel agent never had our tickets reissued. This was for our return flight from FRA to LAX on Lufthansa. When I tried to check us in, the only flight that the check in process allowed was from BUD to FRA! Panic set in. We were in Budapest so not easy to just phone CS. Fortunately our cruise director called LH, got an English speaking CS on the line who, after some time and research told me what the problem was. We had seats on the new flight, just no ticket number in their system! It took time but LH fixed the problem and all was well. So moral of this story is to make sure you have the correct ticket number for flight changes. Needless to say, we will never use that TA again and we have made sure that friends who use her are aware of her incompetence.

And, from the responses I've seen both here and on flyertalk, I'm guessing most of you don't bother asking. Maybe you should.

Why? Maybe we set our expectations realistically and don't feel the need to whinge, lest ourselves been seen as serial whingers. Airlines have closed the accounts of those who complain repeatedly and often.

First of all, forget about the notion of "overhead bin space"...with restrictions and fees on checked luggage, the overhead bin space is full...everywhere...people in coach cram their stuff in the first class bins as well...

As to my requesting what you seem to think is unreasonable compensation, I spent a career negotiating. I always open up high. Foolish to let the other side set the parameters. On this one, I actually got them to move considerably off of their 3,000 mile opening...and that was just in dealing with the customer service rep...not the 60,000 I asked for, but not their initial position either. But, if you don't ask, you don't get. And, from the responses I've seen both here and on flyertalk, I'm guessing most of you don't bother asking. Maybe you should.

So, yes, I asked...seriously!

Actually "overhead bin space" isn't usually a problem if you get on early in the boarding process, which we do. FA's usually keep an eye on any one in coach trying to stow their bags in FC.

Actually "overhead bin space" isn't usually a problem if you get on early in the boarding process, which we do. FA's usually keep an eye on any one in coach trying to stow their bags in FC.

Yeah, lucky for us we were on first each time...but one time we came close to missing it because of the short time between legs and that the two gates were on the extremes of two different concourses. But, on all four legs, no FA was stopping anyone from using the first class bin space.