Galveston weather concerns

I have to say, I hope James Van Fleet goes down with this. His information has been an outlier from all the rest.

Just my opinion, but since this whole fiasco started, it would not surprise me that he has been set up to be the fall guy for this from the beginning.

I am appalled at how Royal has handled this. To have people still have to attempt to fly/drive to the port was reprehensible. Now those who made it are stuck; I'd be livid if I were them! Carnival showed they actually care for their Pax by rerouting them and offering compensation in advance. I hope Royal Caribbean learns a lesson after the poor handling of 2 storm disasters!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am appalled at how Royal has handled this. To have people still have to attempt to fly/drive to the port was reprehensible. Now those who made it are stuck; I'd be livid if I were them! Carnival showed they actually care for their Pax by rerouting them and offering compensation in advance. I hope Royal Caribbean learns a lesson after the poor handling of 2 storm disasters!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with above however passengers who can read and watch media should never have attempted this...I mean how important is a cruise? It has been obvious that this was an extraordinary storm and not conducive for vacationing. And it was not fast moving...all predictions indicated this could and would happen...letting an airline or cruise line make this decision for you is probably not too smart.

That is kinda of BS. It should still be good to go IMO. Seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forget it...I was out watching helicopter rescues down the street[emoji15]and this part of the conversation is long gone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Cindy

n

Been reading this and the carnival feed most of the day. Truly horrible situation but dear God this picture???? Truly wish it HAD been Photoshopped.

As a PSW working with seniors this makes me feel sick. Those poor people. Read the post below it that said they had now been rescued. Thank heavens.

Many, many thanks to the first responders out there for what they are doing and for the nursing home staff for being there for their residents. Truly awful pictures coming out of Texas. Thoughts and prayers from Canada.

I'm a PSW and there are no words to describe how I feel about this right now...

There are 3 medical emergencies on board. They are tryingg to get these passengers off loaded some how.

We're still in the same position. Nothing has been said but I'd assume it's because the medical emergencies are still being dealt with.

All our prepaid drink and Internet cards expired and we have to buy new daily one's or go a'la carte. Kind of chintzy but I guess expected.

Galveston posters, please update!!! Who was it who was sitting outside last night watching the lightning? Something like galvestoncruiser?

Actually, Galveston, the city and island, is fine, the county covers cities on the mainland, which are in the flooding areas. You "could" get off of the island, but not much further.

RCL could charter a flight from FLL, load it with RCL personnel and fly it to NOLA or Mobile. Get 200 hotel rooms for all. Setup computers at either site.

It can be done, and in the grand scheme of things is not that expensive. Can be done in less than 24 hours. I have organized similar emergency things wit my work in less time.

Setting up disembarkation of the current cruise can easily be done at either mobile or nola. It just taking today to setup of then logistics of the staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if that has been mentioned, but Liberty OTS would most certainly not fit at Mobile

Just curious: How much extra fuel do the ships sail with?

We were told that on a typical Caribbean itinerary, they take on fuel every two weeks, and can actually go four weeks if they need to.

Actually, Galveston, the city and island, is fine, the county covers cities on the mainland, which are in the flooding areas. You "could" get off of the island, but not much further.

So the flooding that was on the streets near the port parking lots has subsided? The Port of Galveston had posted saying the lots are not flooded but the streets surrounding are flooded.

I think the people that made a choice to try to get near to the port to sail and somehow did (big mistake no one or cruise line could have convinced me to fly into a disaster zone but that is another story) based on what RCL told them just hours ago...are due reimbursement for the air ticket and any accommodations required until they can get home. They are really victims here and should be a lesson to go with your own common sense judgment...it was obvious nothing was going to go but they made the mistake of thinking a cruise line would have their best interest when in fact all they care about it the $$. This entire episode will cost RCL big time.

Very good point. It would be a great PR move if RCI reimbursed them, but my guess is that it's not going to happen. Hopefully they have travel insurance that they can make a claim with.

even BarryH

Uhm, OK? A little background. I've been in *very* senior positions in the travel industry my entire career. I'm currently an executive with a top three hotel company. I've dealt with disasters equal and larger than this at the decision making level.

My clinicality and perceived lack of patience and empathy is because emotion doesn't help in these situations. It never has and never will. Neither will more words rather than less.

There's been some real helpful info shared in this thread and I've thanked those contributors. Some multiple times. I've tried to share helpful info. If I didn't thank someone who was truly helpful I'll do it now. Thank you.

It'll be interesting to watch RCI's stock in the next little while. I think it's time to bring Adam back. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Bailey might have triggered this entire fiasco with Fleet wanting to be the hero.

But that's just speculation.

I was involved with the port blockade in Barcelona in 05 and Royal put us up in a resort and then flew us back right to my home town without cost, all expenses covered, gifts sent to us by mail and then topping it off with $500 GC each towards our next cruise. It was the main reason we are so loyal.

I actually really feel bad for the pr guys in the call centres and on social media. They are directed from the higher ups, ill bet after they respond they are screaming for their management to get their sh*t together.

Speaking of weather models, early last week this storm was forecasted to be a non-event, then a tropical storm, then a minimal hurricane, then the next day people wake up to a 130mph hurricane. Forecasts for rainfall was indeed up to a few feet as of a few days ago, but spread out through Thursday. No model was even close to the rainfall that fell last night. Pivital Weather .com will show the history of all these models and you can run any rainfall forecast- 2-4 per day depending on the model. Sending the ship to Miami is going to be a nightmare now for passengers. The best case would have been to bring the ship back early, but that was not realistic given the relatively "tame" forecasts at the time, compared to now. Now people have to find flights (hope they are on Southwest), and many people from Texas have to figure out how to get home and possibly retrieve cars. The crew on the other hand will have fun with a few day off sailing back to Galveston.

Royal hasn't said they're kicking off the guests in Miami have they?