Puzzle Break Rooms?

Just wanted to hear from CC members what they thought of the Puzzle Break (escape) rooms on the new ships? I hadn't heard about them before now. DW and I like these kind of things and would definitely try such a thing if we are on a ship that has one.

How many people participate?

Reservations required?

How hard did you think it was?

Feelings on the overall experience?

Is there more than one puzzle so you can come back and try again?

Just wanted to hear from CC members what they thought of the Puzzle Break (escape) rooms on the new ships? I hadn't heard about them before now. DW and I like these kind of things and would definitely try such a thing if we are on a ship that has one.

Reservations required?

About a dozen. (my brain won't let me remember more precisely)

Yes. And difficult to get. Very limited percentage of passengers can get the chance to do it.

Pretty hard. They help if they think you are really stuck.

FABULOUS.

Nope.

How many people participate? ABOUT 14 MAX I THINK

Reservations required? DEFINITELY! EACH SESSION IS AN HOUR AND THEY ONLY RUN A FEW TIMES.

How hard did you think it was? VERY HARD

Feelings on the overall experience? FABULOUS

Is there more than one puzzle so you can come back and try again? NO IT IS THE SAME PUZZLE ON ANTHEM AND ON OVATION. IT IS A NEW ONE ON HARMONY APPARENTLY.

About a dozen. (my brain won't let me remember more precisely)

Yes. And difficult to get. Very limited percentage of passengers can get the chance to do it.

Pretty hard. They help if they think you are really stuck.

FABULOUS.

Nope.

So if you fail to you get sent to a Carnival ship?

About 12 to 15

Reservations required?

Yes. Sign up at the desk as you enter the SeaPlex on the port side.

It was quite challenging. We needed almost the entire hour to solve it.

I LOVED it.

No. Just the one.

Is there a minimum age?

I don't know. I think for very young children it wouldn't be interesting. However, we had a pre-teen girl in our group who solved one of the key riddles. Even a guy who decided to sit back and just watch (because he thought he'd just be in everyone's way) observed and shared something important that the rest of us missed. It's a true group effort and a total blast!

Is there a minimum age?

I think it is 14 but we had 2 young children in our group and the guide was great in getting them involved and they found things that we didn't.

As everyone says it is a 'team' thing.....and communication is key!

Can someone explain more about this please. (My oldest is a complete nerd and I think would love this)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

About a dozen strangers are locked in a room....with some clues and a major group effort you have to go through the process to find the key to get out.

Loved Puzzle Break on the Anthem. They definitely need to incorporate this on other ships. Our group killed it. The key for us was we had a very culture and education diversified group. You have to work as a team. One clue leads to the next clue. COMMUNICATE! It was a blast. Yes your inner nerd comes out. LOL!

Can someone explain more about this please. (My oldest is a complete nerd and I think would love this)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This clip from 'The Big Bang Theory' gives you the idea.

Simon

Loved Puzzle Break on the Anthem. They definitely need to incorporate this on other ships. Our group killed it. The key for us was we had a very culture and education diversified group. You have to work as a team. One clue leads to the next clue. COMMUNICATE! It was a blast. Yes your inner nerd comes out. LOL!

Communication among the group in the key! One clue leads to another.

Our group of 8 (the other three just sat out) completed it with about 5 minutes to spare.

That Big Bang Theory video led me to find this excellent tutorial "Escape Room 101" on YouTube:

As others have stated, communication is definitely the key.

It can also help having one or two young teens in your group for two reasons (I have two wonderful grandsons, one of which I've raised pretty much since his birth. They are both 15.):

1. At that age, they know everything ;)

2. At that age, they don't overthink anything :D

Seriously though, sometimes you can overthink a puzzle and miss the more obvious simple solution.

~ Judy

That Big Bang Theory video led me to find this excellent tutorial "Escape Room 101" on YouTube:

As others have stated, communication is definitely the key.

It can also help having one or two young teens in your group for two reasons (I have two wonderful grandsons, one of which I've raised pretty much since his birth. They are both 15.):

1. At that age, they know everything ;)

2. At that age, they don't overthink anything :D

Seriously though, sometimes you can overthink a puzzle and miss the more obvious simple solution.

~ Judy

I just watched this video. At first I got excited about participating, but as it proceeded, I started to think that I wouldn't be smart enough to do it, and nobody would want me on their team. However, I eventually realized that this is a message I have told myself since early childhood. At the ripe old age of 77, I think it's time to change the message, and give it a try. I will have 2 weeks on the Harmony next year, and I am determined to try to sign up (with my daughter) as soon as we can arrange it that first week. ~Joanna

I just watched this video. At first I got excited about participating, but as it proceeded, I started to think that I wouldn't be smart enough to do it, and nobody would want me on their team. However, I eventually realized that this is a message I have told myself since early childhood. At the ripe old age of 77, I think it's time to change the message, and give it a try. I will have 2 weeks on the Harmony next year, and I am determined to try to sign up (with my daughter) as soon as we can arrange it that first week. ~Joanna

Good for you! Definitely time to change that wrong message! While I haven't personally done one, I think Puzzle Rooms would be more successful with a mixture of ages. You don't want everyone thinking the same and there is something to be said about the smarts that come with the experience of our years.

As an adult I had fear of heights but I went on my first roller coaster at age 50, my first zip line (Oasis) at 60, and intend to brave The Abyss in November at age 65.

I used to have a pretty high IQ, but it has probably decreased over the years as my "what the heck, I'll try it" attitude has increased. The latter is much more fun! :D

~ Judy

Communication and keeping an open mind and looking at everything there is are all critical.

My spouse and I found ourselves in a group that included about six people traveling together, and they pretty much worked together to the exclusion of the rest of us, which I think made it less fun for us.

I did solve one piece on my own, so I felt good about that, but I think it would have been more fun with a different group. Luck of the draw.