A simple price question

Frankmac

Even with that, there are deals to be had. I did a Med cruise on Celebrity in 2016 that had a “per night” price as cheap as a number of Caribbean cruises I’ve done.

So demand must have been low on that particular sailing and/or category.

So demand must have been low on that particular sailing and/or category.

Probably so. It was the last cruise of the season for that particular itinerary (western Med). I’m sure weather can be iffy which also might drive down demand but we had perfect weather.

Another factor contributing to lower prices is lower replenishment costs. Foodstuffs are generally much less expensive in the US than elsewhere.

Considering that the average the cruise lines spend per day per passenger is somewhere between $12 and $15 per day for food even a 50% increase in food costs would not make a significant difference in the cruise price.

Another factor contributing to lower prices is lower replenishment costs. Foodstuffs are generally much less expensive in the US than elsewhere.

Considering that the average the cruise lines spend per day per passenger is somewhere between $12 and $15 per day for food even a 50% increase in food costs would not make a significant difference in the cruise price.

Replenishment costs definitely come into the equation. I noted that the stocks of drinks and the buffet selection was far better on my recent Celebrity Equinox (sister company) cruise out of Miami than a previous B2B also on Equinox in the Med. By chance, we had the same Food and Beverages manager. He commented that there had been specific supply issues in Istanbul and that the containers with scheduled replenishing supplies had been detained at customs. Whilst this was specific to these individual cruises, it remains that the supply lines are much shorter in Miami and must be cheaper.

Replenishment costs definitely come into the equation. I noted that the stocks of drinks and the buffet selection was far better on my recent Celebrity Equinox (sister company) cruise out of Miami than a previous B2B also on Equinox in the Med. By chance, we had the same Food and Beverages manager. He commented that there had been specific supply issues in Istanbul and that the containers with scheduled replenishing supplies had been detained at customs. Whilst this was specific to these individual cruises, it remains that the supply lines are much shorter in Miami and must be cheaper.

I’m not saying that the supplies are not more expensive in Europe. What I’m saying is that they do not represent a significant amount of the difference in the overall cruise price between US and European sailings.

Overall food costs are a small part of your cruise fare regardless of where you are sailing from. The difference in prices of cruises from Caribbean to European cruises is in many case an increase of over 50% of the total fare. Food costs and supplies only account for a small % of that.

Port fees also add to the cost of European cruises because they are usually more port intensive. On an average one-week cruise in the Med you would have 5-6 ports of call, whereas it'd be more like 3-4 on a one-week Caribbean cruise.

Prices in the Med are sky-high this year. Being in Europe, we usually cruise the Med and only do a Caribbean cruise for landmark anniversaries, but this year it actually worked out cheaper for us to do the Caribbean even taking into account the additional costs for trans-Atlantic flights and pre-cruise accommodation in Miami. :eek:

Port fees also add to the cost of European cruises because they are usually more port intensive. On an average one-week cruise in the Med you would have 5-6 ports of call, whereas it'd be more like 3-4 on a one-week Caribbean cruise.

Prices in the Med are sky-high this year. Being in Europe, we usually cruise the Med and only do a Caribbean cruise for landmark anniversaries, but this year it actually worked out cheaper for us to do the Caribbean even taking into account the additional costs for trans-Atlantic flights and pre-cruise accommodation in Miami. :eek:

Surprisingly port fees and taxes are generally the same or lower on med sailings.

On a 7 day Symphony Med. cruise with 6 ports the fees and taxes are only $140. For comparison a couple dates on Caribbean sailings they were $161 on the Eastern itinerary and $147 on the Western.

On a 9 day Jewel Greek islands cruis with 7 port stops taxes and fees were only $99.

Surprisingly port fees and taxes are generally the same or lower on med sailings.

On a 7 day Symphony Med. cruise with 6 ports the fees and taxes are only $140. For comparison a couple dates on Caribbean sailings they were $161 on the Eastern itinerary and $147 on the Western.

On a 9 day Jewel Greek islands cruis with 7 port stops taxes and fees were only $99.

Oooh, that's interesting. I didn't know that. I had the idea that they were a lot more expensive here in Europe.

Absolutely agree Med prices are sky high for 2019. Celebrity Edge pricing is stratospheric.

Consumer protection in Europe (requirement to have insurance or put up a bond) is also often cited as a contributing factor in higher operating costs and therefore pricing. But I agree these figures don't stack up to explain the much higher pricing. It really comes back, as Bob says, to supply and demand or what the market will bear....

Absolutely agree Med prices are sky high for 2019. Celebrity Edge pricing is stratospheric.

Consumer protection in Europe (requirement to have insurance or put up a bond) is also often cited as a contributing factor in higher operating costs and therefore pricing. But I agree these figures don't stack up to explain the much higher pricing. It really comes back, as Bob says, to supply and demand or what the market will bear....

Edge pricing is stratospheric even in the Caribbean. Absolutely insane.

You have to look at European cruises a year before sailing. The prices are usually very reasonable. Book a refundable deposit, and then look for lower rates over the year to switch to a lower non-refundable, but wait for a promo that has decent obc included.

We have a Rome-Greek Isles-Rome cruise for next April that we booked in April of this year. 11 nights, promenade view cabin for $2,748, including port taxes, etc. The port fees were only $88 per person.

The price right now is almost double.

Edge is a brand new ship, with many new/unique things (Magic Carpete etc) do demand is high thus the price is high. This much like when the Oasis launched.

Edge pricing is stratospheric even in the Caribbean. Absolutely insane.