Dancing of the Ships 2019-2020 speculation

jedi bobs

Not the right line for us Jimbo. We have that 11 year old to deal with and we are cheaper than last season's sweaters on the Walmart $3 rack. ASC is expensive and not right for our demographic at this point in our lives.

What I want (and can't have, obviously), is one of the old departed small Carnival ships, like the Tropicale or Mardi Gras, doing fun cruises on the Great Lakes for bargain basement prices.

I'm not really serious either, but that is what I want.

And if they Sunshine the Triumph, what will they call her? Sunrise? Sunset? Sunseeker?

Frankenumph

Splendor will probably move between Alaska and Australia, but either Triumph/Horizon/Panorama will split with New York, probably whatever ships sails from Port Everglades.

Carnival has already announced they will have a second year around ship in Australia. They just haven't said which ship yet but it doesn't look like a ship will be making the trek back and forth each year.

Carnival has already announced they will have a second year around ship in Australia. They just haven't said which ship yet but it doesn't look like a ship will be making the trek back and forth each year.

Probably will be the Splendor, unless say they move Legend to year round with the Spirit.

What I want (and can't have, obviously), is one of the old departed small Carnival ships, like the Tropicale or Mardi Gras, doing fun cruises on the Great Lakes for bargain basement prices.

Tropicale, now Peace Boat’s Ocean Dream, should come up for sale in 2020 when Peace Boat takes delivery of its new “Ecoship”.

Didn’t read all comments but just booked Alaska for June 2019. My PVP had told me the Legend will be getting upgrades before then. It’s scheduled for dry dock in May of 18 I think he said.

Because only certain classes of ships can do alaska, he believes the legend will return there... but we all know that could change.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Didn’t read all comments but just booked Alaska for June 2019. My PVP had told me the Legend will be getting upgrades before then. It’s scheduled for dry dock in May of 18 I think he said.

Because only certain classes of ships can do alaska, he believes the legend will return there... but we all know that could change.

It's not really true that only certain classes of ships can do Alaska (I used to think so too). NCL will have the Bliss in Alaska, and Royal will have Ovation of the Seas doing Alaska...both of these new ships are quite a bit larger than the Carnival Vista. Alaskan cruises are amongst the highest grossing cruises for the cruise lines...it'll be interesting to see if Carnival steps up to compete and retain their customers, or will they concede Alaska to their competitors.

It's not really true that only certain classes of ships can do Alaska (I used to think so too). NCL will have the Bliss in Alaska, and Royal will have Ovation of the Seas doing Alaska...both of these new ships are quite a bit larger than the Carnival Vista. Alaskan cruises are amongst the highest grossing cruises for the cruise lines...it'll be interesting to see if Carnival steps up to compete and retain their customers, or will they concede Alaska to their competitors.

Mind you Bliss will be designed specifically for Alaska where as most aren't. Is Quantum Class built for cold weather? I'm assuming so. But more to the point Splendor will probably sail Alaska, even though she isn't designed for the cold, since she doesn't have a cover over one of her pools.

Mind you Bliss will be designed specifically for Alaska where as most aren't. Is Quantum Class built for cold weather? I'm assuming so. But more to the point Splendor will probably sail Alaska, even though she isn't designed for the cold, since she doesn't have a cover over one of her pools.

The Splendor does have a cover over one of her pools.

Royal Princess will be sailing Alaska without a covered pool.

Splendor does not have Azipods (which are a must for continuous Alaska sailings). I don’t see her being the Alaska dedicated Ship... The Splendor is more suited for Asia market as that market prefers less “sunbathing” (most outdoor pools go unused on Asia sailings)... the center covered pool is a great option for that market.

Still havn't heard anything about what may happen in New Orleans. With NCL coming in with a larger ship and RCl coming back , I was hoping for something other than a big for smaller swap.

NOLA might not get anything big until XL 1 comes out which would probably take the place of a Vista ship in Florida. Horizon will probably swap with Vista or Panorama will swap with Vista and Horizon will remain in Miami. Should Splendor move to Alaska/Australia, one Dream class will probably move to the West Coast, most likely Magic, leaving Dream in Galveston and Breeze in PC.

Still havn't heard anything about what may happen in New Orleans. With NCL coming in with a larger ship and RCl coming back , I was hoping for something other than a big for smaller swap.

Uncle Bob really liked NOLA. He made sure that Conquest went there when it first came on line. I don't think that the current administration shares the same affection for NOLA.

...it'll be interesting to see if Carnival steps up to compete and retain their customers, or will they concede Alaska to their competitors.

With one lonely Spirit class ship doing the same, repetitive, mid week departure, roundtrip itinerary, year after year, and only 1 or 2 Glacier Bay permits for most of the season, there’s really not much competition to concede. Carnival’s presence in Alaska has always been minuscule and severely limited. It’s just enough to give Carnival loyalists an opportunity to visit Alaska on a Carnival ship.

I don’t see Carnival leaving Alaska because they do charge a premium for those sailings (a byproduct of the limited number of sailings that they provide), but I don’t see them increasing or expanding their presence either. Maybe a different ship but not much more than that.

It's too bad Carnival doesn't do more Alaska, we did Spirit from Whittier to Vancouver and it was excellent. HAL & PC have the best programs and the most ships in Alaska so Carnival is probably just letting them suck up most business. Three out of five cruise lines allowed in Glacier Bay are owned by Carnival.

With one lonely Spirit class ship doing the same, repetitive, mid week departure, roundtrip itinerary, year after year, and only 1 or 2 Glacier Bay permits for most of the season, there’s really not much competition to concede. Carnival’s presence in Alaska has always been minuscule and severely limited. It’s just enough to give Carnival loyalists an opportunity to visit Alaska on a Carnival ship.

I don’t see Carnival leaving Alaska because they do charge a premium for those sailings (a byproduct of the limited number of sailings that they provide), but I don’t see them increasing or expanding their presence either. Maybe a different ship but not much more than that.

Yes, it's true. Carnival has not shown much effort or commitment with their Carnival branded ships in Alaska. In fact, they do a terrible job with Alaska in virtually every possible way. I was on the Miracle in 2013 cruising Alaska. I was surprised by what seemed to feel like a lot of new cruisers on board. I wonder how many of those people who are new to cruising and live in the Pacific Northwest will now give NCL or Royal their initial loyalty with their new hardware? And Alaska generally has the highest cost per person, per day...and the ships all sell out, usually early. It'll be interesting to see if they respond to the competition in the next few years.

• 1 month later...

So now that Panorama and Splendor have homes, what changes do you see for 2020?

I think Excellence 1 goes to Miami (via New York) with Victory going to Port Canaveral. Mobile, San Juan, and Port Canaveral swap Fantasy-class ships; Mobile gets balconies with the Fascination, San Juan keeps them with the Elation, and Port Canaveral keeps them with the Victory while getting the balcony-challenged Fantasy.

I don’t see much other movement prior to 2022, although I expect Victory to throw some New York sailings into the mix if she has the longer “Sunshine” dry dock in 2021.

I think Excellence 1 goes to Miami (via New York) with Victory going to Port Canaveral. Mobile, San Juan, and Port Canaveral swap Fantasy-class ships; Mobile gets balconies with the Fascination, San Juan keeps them with the Elation.

Carnival better come up with something better than a Fantasy class ship in San Juan. With both Norwegian Epic and Freedom of the Seas headed to San Juan next year, Carnival is going to face some stiff competition in this market. I guess they’ll just continue filling the ship up with Carnival loyalists, with those who ship exclusively on pricing, and with those who have no clue how the Fascination compares to the other ships in this market.