Dancing of the Ships 2019-2020 speculation

jedi bobs

I think that's very misleading. It's easy to up-count Fantasy class ships leaving port on 3 dayers. That ain't passengers or, even better, passenger sea days departed.

Your points are all good. I just returned from a cruise on the Imagination so it's fresh in my mind as I was able to have a good look around. I think based on cruise port revenue based on dollars, Galveston was 2 an PC was 3. However, that revenue would be generated by multiple cruise lines. Long Beach is the only privately held home port in the US and it is Carnivals exclusive port. There's a lot going on there right now...both the City and Carnival are spending a lot of money right now...Long Beach will also will be LNG capable. Los Angeles is the #2 largest population center and the ships are being supported. It will be interesting, as others have mentioned, to see what Carnival does with their capacity once the new ships arrive. Perhaps they will regularly cruise Europe again, or a bigger presence in Asia? I don't think the Fantasy Class ships are going anywhere - they have not been shy about refurbishing them, and they are paid for work horses for the most part.

As cruisers, we can't lose. More supply and choice, a more competitive environment, and lots of great ports and home ports to visit.

I going to predict something totally different. I'm going to say there will be a new port in the next few years. Here in Texas there has been a lot of talk from local/state officials and even some agreement at federal level about funding to build a terminal to attract cruise lines to Corpus Christi.

Within the last 15 years cruise traffic in Galveston has grown tremendously with 2018 & 2019 already scheduled even bigger. Galveston already has two Terminals and there is talk about building a third. You could say Galveston is bursting from the seams. I could see Corpus Christi becoming home to one of the Fantasy class ships sometime after 2020.

True, but not really. While Elation is technically replacing Sunshine, I'm confident that what's really happening is that Canaveral is going from 3 ships to 4. Elation is at the end of the bench. A new starter is yet to be announced. All good.

More ships in PC would be fantastic. Guess we will have to wait and see.

I going to predict something totally different. I'm going to say there will be a new port in the next few years. Here in Texas there has been a lot of talk from local/state officials and even some agreement at federal level about funding to build a terminal to attract cruise lines to Corpus Christi.

Within the last 15 years cruise traffic in Galveston has grown tremendously with 2018 & 2019 already scheduled even bigger. Galveston already has two Terminals and there is talk about building a third. You could say Galveston is bursting from the seams. I could see Corpus Christi becoming home to one of the Fantasy class ships sometime after 2020.

I could see that. Perhaps of some of the FLA ports end up with one too many Fantasy ships. Of course Corpus would cater to a local market doing 3-4 days. What folks need to appreciate is that reasonably priced flights into good airports is key to anyone beyond driving distance which is actually most of the country. Personally, I think it's one reason for Galveston's success. Namely, cost effective flights into Hobby on SWA. Tampa also seems a little under tapped and Carnival is addressing that with Miracle.

I could see that. Perhaps of some of the FLA ports end up with one too many Fantasy ships. Of course Corpus would cater to a local market doing 3-4 days. What folks need to appreciate is that reasonably priced flights into good airports is key to anyone beyond driving distance which is actually most of the country. Personally, I think it's one reason for Galveston's success. Namely, cost effective flights into Hobby on SWA. Tampa also seems a little under tapped and Carnival is addressing that with Miracle.
Tampa is boxed in with that bridge. Few options and little room for growth. Same thing with Jax and Baltimore. Corpus should examine what Carnival did to San Diego and Mobile and proceed with caution. Mobile got lucky and Carnival came back, but San Diego is still on the outside looking in.

Tampa is boxed in with that bridge. Few options and little room for growth. Same thing with Jax and Baltimore. Corpus should examine what Carnival did to San Diego and Mobile and proceed with caution. Mobile got lucky and Carnival came back, but San Diego is still on the outside looking in.

I'm surprised Carnival hasn't gone back to San Diego. Perhaps in 2020 when it looks like we won't be sharing a ship with Carnival Australia they will homeport a ship in San Diego in winter and move it up to Alaska for summer.

True dat. Miracle is a perfect permanent 7 day fit. Hopefully Carnival upgrades her over time.

I just hope Norfolk gets SOMETHING. For 2018, we got left out completely. And in 2017, it was nothing but 5-Day Bahamas.

It'd be nice if they gave us at least one or two longer itineraries, such as a 7-Day Bermuda or 8-Day Eastern Caribbean like we've seen in the past.

I just hope Norfolk gets SOMETHING. For 2018, we got left out completely. And in 2017, it was nothing but 5-Day Bahamas.

It'd be nice if they gave us at least one or two longer itineraries, such as a 7-Day Bermuda or 8-Day Eastern Caribbean like we've seen in the past.

I agree. I don't think they've announced ships and itineraries for Norfolk, New York, or Baltimore yet through 2019. I would also like to see something in Norfolk since that is another port in the 8 hour drive window for us.

I'm surprised Carnival hasn't gone back to San Diego. Perhaps in 2020 when it looks like we won't be sharing a ship with Carnival Australia they will homeport a ship in San Diego in winter and move it up to Alaska for summer.

They’ve got too much invested, and are investing more, in Long Beach. Love sailing out of San Diego.

San Diego also suffered from bad timing. The new dock was finished a year or two into the last depression. The H1N1 flu issues didn’t help either. Everyone either pulled out or lessened what was ported on the West Coast.

Not sure I have a home run solution, but there is way to many home port options and other places to go. Without knowing cost issues in home port space, a small or not so new ship going north from a southern home port, stopping in SF and Seattle and Vancouver. Or using San Diego and go around and in the Baha...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Would love them to use San Diego again. I think of it as offering as much if not more than Long Beach even with QM and Disneyland . Just so much more accessible beach, beauty and history fitting with the Mexican Riviera Cruise. Additionally, the West coast is warm kids (kidding a bit) compared to the inner west where we keep growing and growing enough to hopefully add to demand for travel there. I would love more Pacific N to Vancouver and South to San Diego trips putting just one stop out of country to make it work (forget those rules) and I would love to see them build upon the ever growing wine industry in addition to fabulous ports along the west coast. Hi Jimbo.

Edited by sjn911
Spelling

Would love them to use San Diego again. I think of it as offering as much if not more than Long Beach even with QM and Disneyland . Just so much more accessible beach, beauty and history fitting with the Mexican Riviera Cruise. Additionally, the West coast is warm kids (kidding a bit) compared to the inner west where we keep growing and growing enough to hopefully add to demand for travel there. I would love more Pacific N to Vancouver and South to San Diego trips putting just one stop out of country to make it work (forget those rules) and I would love to see them build upon the ever growing wine industry in addition to fabulous ports along the west coast. Hi Jimbo.

Hey Sarah, it has been a while. San Diego would be a natural expansion port. I think they could do south more on the west coast, albeit it might have to be creative. They will soon have 26 ships and you can only go to Cozumel and Nassau so many times. I was part of a TA conference call about 8 Year’s ago and they talked about Corpus Cristi and Mexico as potential Home ports. Who knows what happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey Sarah, it has been a while. San Diego would be a natural expansion port. I think they could do south more on the west coast, albeit it might have to be creative. They will soon have 26 ships and you can only go to Cozumel and Nassau so many times. I was part of a TA conference call about 8 Year’s ago and they talked about Corpus Cristi and Mexico as potential Home ports. Who knows what happened.

Great thoughts...and as the boomers continue to retire, there is going to be a boom...God willing for all of the ships and wanting more options. Yeah I kind of got swamped..great to be back..2 family weddings etc.

Great thoughts...and as the boomers continue to retire, there is going to be a boom...God willing for all of the ships and wanting more options. Yeah I kind of got swamped..great to be back..2 family weddings etc.

But good events, family will eat up time....glad to have you back. Hope to sail with you one day. Merry Christmas.

Carnival has the most ships and that number is growing, would love to see them get creative with these.

Some of those Fantasy Class ships can’t keep sailing with the Carnival flag forever, Jimbo. They may have the most ships now but that number can always decrease as ships are retired.

Who knows if they keep adding ships and ports, maybe eventually John Heald will get his wish and a Carnival ship will sail from Cleveland.

Some of those Fantasy Class ships can’t keep sailing with the Carnival flag forever, Jimbo. They may have the most ships now but that number can always decrease as ships are retired.

I have not seen you around in like 2 years.....

They need to find a buyer....until then they are more than cruise worthy

Who knows if they keep adding ships and ports, maybe eventually John Heald will get his wish and a Carnival ship will sail from Cleveland.

The Welland Canal isn’t big enough to accommodate a Fantasy-class ship - it maxes out at 740 feet in length and a beam of only 78 feet. The surviving former Holiday-class ships are 14 feet too wide, but other than that they would fit. If that Canal were ever widened, Carnival could sail from Cleveland to the Atlantic Ocean, assuming the ship fits under all the bridges in Quebec.

As it stands right now, we’ll have to settle for Rochester, New York.

The Welland Canal isn’t big enough to accommodate a Fantasy-class ship - it maxes out at 740 feet in length and a beam of only 78 feet. The surviving former Holiday-class ships are 14 feet too wide, but other than that they would fit. If that Canal were ever widened, Carnival could sail from Cleveland to the Atlantic Ocean, assuming the ship fits under all the bridges in Quebec.

As it stands right now, we’ll have to settle for Rochester, New York.

I don’t think he was serious

I think Vista will be coming to Long Beach after April 2019 to replace Splendor if she leaves Long Beach, or they will have 4 ships here in Long Beach. Right now Splendor and Vista DO NOT HAVE POSTED cruise schedules after April 2019. They are building for bigger ships and (2 at SAME time at the dock) in Long beach.