Quality of food on Royal Caribbean

I would think it would be easy for Giovanni's to split an entrée for you. How they would charge for it, that's another question, but I found them to be very accommodating on our last cruise about sharing.

I'm sure they would be thrilled to do that but not us - really not interested in paying for things we won't eat, especially when we frequently eat at upscale restaurants at home. Because we are light eaters, neither one of us really minds the food in the MDR and I frequently order the Chop's steak, which we can split.

I love the idea of speciality restaurants, I just wish they would offer some options besides the one price fits all menu.

His Michelin star says otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I'm sure Joël Robuchon – 31 stars since 2016 is not the boor and oaf that Ramsay is with his 6 stars since 2016.

It's called people skills and respect two things that are not in Gordon's makeup.

My two cents after taking several Carnival cruises over the past few years and just took my first Royal on LOS last week:

I fully expected the food to be better on Royal but was surprised that it was not. Salt is overused on almost all dishes. The so-called drawn butter served with lobster tails tasted like movie theater popcorn “butter”. And instead of serving real butter with bread, margarine was in its place. Even in Giovanni and Chops.

Compared to the steak houses on Carnival, Chops paled in comparison. The food was not as good and over salted, much of the waitstaff was aloof, and the tables are crowded together so that we felt like sardines. Carnival steakhouses really do know how to bring that “wow” factor with all of the little things that add up. Some subtle improvements could make a huge difference.

I was really hoping to be wowed by RC food but was not, especially since we loved everything else Royal offered. Everyone traveling with me agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with you. I sailed in Sep '17 & Feb '18 on Grandeur. The Food has gone down hill. I have called them and told they have too much Salt in the food. I always ask for Steamed Veg at every meal.

We are getting ready to cruise on Freedom 4/28, first time for RCL. Have cruised on other lines now for probably 12 years. The first time was Holland and I thought the food was extraordinary! Maybe easily impressed for a first-time cruiser, not sure. I have heard that the quality on Holland has also declined along with all other lines, except for maybe the very elite lines. I haven't seen too many reviews of Freedom's food. Can anyone weigh in? We are considering maybe purchasing the 2-nights package of specialty dining, but many have said even the food there was not all that great.

I did give ten for service, but only five for food quality & presentation. It was tough to do, but I felt it needed to get attention.

Whilst I agree that food is subjective, if people are not happy with the food quality, why continue to give tens across the board for the MDR on the survey? In doing so, how can you ever expect it to improve?

THIS! If everyone keeps giving tens it will only get worse.

I'm sure Joël Robuchon – 31 stars since 2016 is not the boor and oaf that Ramsay is with his 6 stars since 2016.

It's called people skills and respect two things that are not in Gordon's makeup.

You do know that he is a tv actor in addition to a very well regarded chef. If you know him personally and he always acts as he does on tv then you are right. If not, wise up and remember it’s all about ratings

I would think it would be easy for Giovanni's to split an entrée for you. How they would charge for it, that's another question, but I found them to be very accommodating on our last cruise about sharing.

On my adventure cruise a few weeks ago, at Giovanni's we were given 2 entrees each even if we ordered only one, the waiter would bring more for us to try. so between 2 of us, we had 4 entrees to share. I don't know if that is the waiter being good or that Giovanni's allow more than one entree.

Also, I didn't see eggs Benedict anywhere on that cruise, little disappointing.

We are getting ready to cruise on Freedom 4/28, first time for RCL. Have cruised on other lines now for probably 12 years. The first time was Holland and I thought the food was extraordinary! Maybe easily impressed for a first-time cruiser, not sure. I have heard that the quality on Holland has also declined along with all other lines, except for maybe the very elite lines. I haven't seen too many reviews of Freedom's food. Can anyone weigh in? We are considering maybe purchasing the 2-nights package of specialty dining, but many have said even the food there was not all that great.

We were on Freedom last week, and found the food to be very good. I was nervous, given recent reviews. However, we did a mix of specialty dining (Sabor, Giovanni's, as well as the wine pairing dinner at Vintages), and MDR. I enjoyed virtually everything and found it well prepared. Food is so subjective, but we were with a group of 10 in total, and everyone agreed the food quality was good. Was it Michelin star good? No, of course not, but we were satisfied with the quality. The staff was great about asking if we were enjoying our meals, and if not, they would get us something else. So there was no reason at all to be upset with a choice or go hungry (like THAT would happen on a cruise ship!! LOL!!!). If you have any specific questions, I'm happy to answer. I thought Giovanni's was an amazing meal - excellent quality, great service. Well worth the BOGO pricing.

I did give ten for service, but only five for food quality & presentation. It was tough to do, but I felt it needed to get attention.

Whilst I agree that food is subjective, if people are not happy with the food quality, why continue to give tens across the board for the MDR on the survey? In doing so, how can you ever expect it to improve?
THIS! If everyone keeps giving tens it will only get worse.
My service WAS a ten...sorry if that upsets you. Anyway, as I stated, food was rated as a five.

I believe that Peachy59 was agreeing with both of us by quoting the fact that you gave five for quality because you felt it needed to get attention.

I agree with you. I sailed in Sep '17 & Feb '18 on Grandeur. The Food has gone down hill. I have called them and told they have too much Salt in the food. I always ask for Steamed Veg at every meal.

They must have listened. I was on the Grandeur 3-14 Mar 18 and actually had to add salt to a couple meals.

We were on Freedom last week, and found the food to be very good. I was nervous, given recent reviews. However, we did a mix of specialty dining (Sabor, Giovanni's, as well as the wine pairing dinner at Vintages), and MDR. I enjoyed virtually everything and found it well prepared. Food is so subjective, but we were with a group of 10 in total, and everyone agreed the food quality was good. Was it Michelin star good? No, of course not, but we were satisfied with the quality. The staff was great about asking if we were enjoying our meals, and if not, they would get us something else. So there was no reason at all to be upset with a choice or go hungry (like THAT would happen on a cruise ship!! LOL!!!). If you have any specific questions, I'm happy to answer. I thought Giovanni's was an amazing meal - excellent quality, great service. Well worth the BOGO pricing.

Thank you for your post.

Even though RCCL isn’t our “foodie” line we find food in MDR to be pretty good (and my escargots are always available!)

We are sailing on Freedom next week so I am even more interested. How was buffet overall? Do you remember if smoked salmon was there for breakfast?

Thank you for your post.

Even though RCCL isn’t our “foodie” line we find food in MDR to be pretty good (and my escargots are always available!)

We are sailing on Freedom next week so I am even more interested. How was buffet overall? Do you remember if smoked salmon was there for breakfast?

Unfortunately I don’t know about smoked salmon. We either ordered room service or went to the MDR for breakfast. I thought the buffet at lunch was good. Lots of choice - everything from hot dogs and fries to stir fry, salads, ribs, fried chicken. I think most people could find something to enjoy. My husband loves the escargot!

Thank you.

For us smoked salmon is a must during a buffet breakfast.

In 2016 we couldn’t find it on Allure and Anthem, but in 2017 it was there on Anthem and Grandeur.

Hoping it is there!!!

And some seafood

We cruise mainly on X and RCCL. We have found that their food and service is great no matter which ship we cruise. If you want terrible service and sub-par food cruise on the MSC Seaside. Some people defend it by stating it is " The European Style of cruising".Have done my fair share of travelling in Europe and Have never had food or service as bad. Just saying!!!

I believe that Peachy59 was agreeing with both of us by quoting the fact that you gave five for quality because you felt it needed to get attention.

That’s not how I read it, but if that’s the case I apologize....

Anyway, I do feel the service is fine, under the guidelines the staff have to abide by, but the food has diminished.

We cruise mainly on X and RCCL. We have found that their food and service is great no matter which ship we cruise. If you want terrible service and sub-par food cruise on the MSC Seaside. Some people defend it by stating it is " The European Style of cruising".Have done my fair share of travelling in Europe and Have never had food or service as bad. Just saying!!!

In some reason it seems that MSc can not improve their food quality. Its ok, but meat dishes are ... not very good.

It’s a shame as they have stunningly beautiful ships and many other nice points. Only sailed on Poesia and Divina though.

Thank you for your post.

I was on Freedom, a few months ago, some said smoke salmon was not available, even some in my group, but we did find it, it is not in the usual place but if you look north from the back of the ship, the salmon was on the left side bar, as you walk out the buffet area, it was here everyday but not anyway else on the buffet. If you don't see it ask and they will find it. In addition we got escargot every night just by asking. Don't forget to ask for the Sundaes off the kids desert menu we found them to be very good.

My service WAS a ten...sorry if that upsets you. Anyway, as I stated, food was rated as a five.

Yes, I was agreeing you two did the right thing. I have read here that many others give tens on the survey when they didn't feel they should have. By doing this, the cruise line thinks everything is fine. I only give tens if it is warranted, many times it is, sometimes it isn't.

Yes, I was agreeing you two did the right thing. I have read here that many others give tens on the survey when they didn't feel they should have. By doing this, the cruise line thinks everything is fine. I only give tens if it is warranted, many times it is, sometimes it isn't.

Gotcha. I was a little confused. [emoji485][emoji485][emoji485]