Quality of food on Royal Caribbean

The most telling thing about the decline in the MDR food is the fact that they're offering 5 nights specialty dining for $105 or 7 nights for $168. So roughly $20-$25 more per day. (Isn't the MDR steak upcharge more than that?) Personally I'd prefer they increase my fare the $168 and bring the MDR food quality up to specialty quality.

Yes. I'd gladly pay it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ive just returned from a RCI cruise after a 5 year break with them (other cruise lines in the mean while) and I will say its not just the food standards that have dropped,.

As for food I found the buffet very lacking in choice especially the salads , chinese, indian section seemed to be gone , it was very repetitive and hot food only slightly warm at best. Main dining again very repetitive and very little choice for vegetarians and again food wasnt hot enough , I had to send it back .

During the Q & A with the captain on the HOS, they said RC is investing $25, 000 (per ship?) to increase the quality of the food. What that entails and is that going to be enough is anybody's guess.

$5 per passenger if that figure is per week@ 5000 passengers is hardly going to improve the food much.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

During the Q & A with the captain on the HOS, they said RC is investing $25, 000 (per ship?) to increase the quality of the food. What that entails and is that going to be enough is anybody's guess.

Doesn't seem like it would have much effect if that's a one time expense per ship.

I have been cruising since 1989. I feel the food has definitely declined. The selections of meat is almost at a commercial quality. We completed a Transatlantic in November and thought they were cleaning out the refrigerators and freezers before returning to the United States. There were items that should have been pitched rather than served to guests.

We have cruises coming up in January and if the food has not improved will seriously consider moving to another cruise line.

Well the do seem to push the pork. I have joked that someone in RCL must own a pig farm.

I was surprised when my waiter, on my last cruise, told us that much of our food is pre-prepared off-ship and sent in frozen. NOT prepared by the chef just microwaved. I had others ask their waiters and assistants to confirm. They did. :mad::eek:

$5 per passenger if that figure is per week@ 5000 passengers is hardly going to improve the food much.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

I think they currently budget something around $11-13 per day, per person. Taken in context $5 per week increase per person could bring a measurable result.

Well the do seem to push the pork. I have joked that someone in RCL must own a pig farm.

I was surprised when my waiter, on my last cruise, told us that much of our food is pre-prepared off-ship and sent in frozen. NOT prepared by the chef just microwaved. I had others ask their waiters and assistants to confirm. They did. :mad::eek:

I figured some things had to be frozen prior, but the MDR food too? [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

I figured some things had to be frozen prior, but the MDR food too? [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

For some things that would make sense I would not want fish or steak that is been in a refrigerator for 5 or 6 days not counting the time it takes to get from the actual source to the boat. (ie. Meat house or boat.) there would be a lot of health concerns.

I believe it is because of all the specialty dinning. They want you to pay more ! Not as good in regular dinning will have you going to the specialty restaurants.

For some things that would make sense I would not want fish or steak that is been in a refrigerator for 5 or 6 days not counting the time it takes to get from the actual source to the boat. (ie. Meat house or boat.) there would be a lot of health concerns.

Yeah, I completely agree with this. I just had a visual of a plate with all the food just going through a microwave line and coming out the end to the waiter :'):'):')

• 7 months later...

I too am a RC diamond plus loyalist. We have always found the food to be fine until now. We sailed on the allure in September and the Harmony in october. The food was fine. Come January 2018 we sailed on the oasis and the food quality was really bad. We spoke with the head waiters as well as the head chef. They admitted there was a major shift and frequent travelers were not pleased. None of the food was acceptable. They “streamlined” the menu. It honestly tasted like they purchased prepared food that they them simply put in the oven. I’m curious if anyone has good things to say about any other lines. I’m so disappointed and bewildered. We were told the quality of the staff has gone down. No experience and many don’t even speak English which makes it difficult. I think they are cutting corners to such an extreme their reputation will seriously suffer. I’m holding out hope they will realize they have gone too far. The island have suffered they can’t expect people to sail if the food does as well.

I too am a RC diamond plus loyalist. We have always found the food to be fine until now. We sailed on the allure in September and the Harmony in october. The food was fine. Come January 2018 we sailed on the oasis and the food quality was really bad. We spoke with the head waiters as well as the head chef. They admitted there was a major shift and frequent travelers were not pleased. None of the food was acceptable. They “streamlined” the menu. It honestly tasted like they purchased prepared food that they them simply put in the oven. I’m curious if anyone has good things to say about any other lines. I’m so disappointed and bewildered. We were told the quality of the staff has gone down. No experience and many don’t even speak English which makes it difficult. I think they are cutting corners to such an extreme their reputation will seriously suffer. I’m holding out hope they will realize they have gone too far. The island have suffered they can’t expect people to sail if the food does as well.

Time to stop putting 10s on the post cruise surveys.

RCI is paying it's stockholders with the money it snatched from its food budget. I haven't visited the MDR in years of cruise (Diamond + here). It would never occur to me to spend any of my time there when I can grab something mediocre from the WJ.

We cruise frequently each year on RCI and have seen an improvement in the last year in the quality of main dishes in the MDR and WJ. I believe that this is as a result of Corporate allowing more budget per passenger.

Personally, I think the included food is the exact same quality across most of the mass market cruise lines. I only say "most" because I think NCL's is slightly less. But otherwise, I think it's all the same.

I believe it is because of all the specialty dinning. They want you to pay more ! Not as good in regular dinning will have you going to the specialty restaurants.

Sorry, I totally disagree with you. If what you posted is true, where in the specialty restaurants would there be room for 5k people such as those on Oasis class?

I don't think the food is great in the MDR, but it's not only the food that sends me to the specialty restaurants. I don't like all the noise in the MDR and ordering a drink when first seated and getting it near the end of the entree.

I feel the service in the MDR is poor. There are fewer waiters etc. because additional personnel requires cabin space, which I guess is not available on the ships. Gone are the days when waiters joked around and spent time with guests. Today, I feel lucky to even get a smile.

I'm sure that if everyone sailing agreed to pay a hundred dollars more or whatever amount is necessary, the food would be far better, but we all know that is not going to happen as most cruisers want everything for as low a price as possible. At times there is a confusion between price and value for dollar spent.

I'm sure there are others who agree with you, but your argument, as far as I am concerned, doesn't fly.

Agreed. I think the lowering of the quality of the food in the MDR is to save the company money, and to get more people into the specialty dining venues. So it's really a win-win for the cruise line.