Boarding Problems at Ports with Hip Replacement!

estoyer

We will be getting a new hip before our next cruise. I wonder how much trouble it will be when boarding the ship after visiting a port of call? We've heard the medical card for proof of an internal metal device does not get you threw. Any comments?

It will be just like the airport, they take you aside and do the manual metal screening.

I have two metal knees and 2 shoulders and never had a proublem. They just wand you and pat down. Many of them made a joke about all my metal parts.

Bob is correct. I have two metal hips and a pin in my elbow. When the alarm goes off they take me aside and pat down and wand me. I once asked them why they do it at every port of call and they said that was the rules. At first I found it embarrassing but now it;s ok. Joyce

My hip has never set off the metal detector on a cruise. It does set it off in some airports, but then I just get wanded and/or patted. I usually mention the hip in an airport, but in Mexica they just told me to walk through and it did not set it off. It seems that some are more sensitive than others.

Orthopedic nurse here...hips rarely set off metal detectors, unless the sensitivity is set really high. Most of the metal is set inside the bone. If you have a fair amount of, ahem, "cushioning," you should be good. You're right in that no one accepts the cards, since they can be easily forged. Fortunately, joint replacements are common enough that security is used to dealing with them. Congrats on your new hip -- you will love it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We will be getting a new hip before our next cruise. I wonder how much trouble it will be when boarding the ship after visiting a port of call? We've heard the medical card for proof of an internal metal device does not get you threw. Any comments?

Not the advice you're looking for but having physical therapists in the family, don't be afraid to ask for a ride in a wheel chair if you're unsure about traversing the gangway. It can be a haul. We've witnessed some pretty scary situations during boarding.

I have a hip replacement and rarely set off the alarm on the ship even though it always sets off the alarm in airports etc. If I do, it's at initial boarding. I think they set the sensitivity of the machines higher at the home port. Usually that requires a wanding or pat down. Sometimes I just tell them I have a hip replacement and they let me go. No big deal.

DW has had both THR, and had no problems at Cape Liberty, or Cruise Maryland/Baltimore. No problems with boarding the ship after visiting ports either.

btw... I "complained" to her orthopedic surgeon this year that he did such a great job with both of her hips, she no longer qualifies for special assistance or "front of the line" help :D. Good luck with your surgery, and be sure to follow through with your physical therapy.

My wife had hip replacement earlier this year. Always sets off TSA, immigration, and shipboard scanners. No big deal.

Pre surgery we told the doc “we travel a lot! Next one, later this summer, is to Greek Isles. Can you give us a card certifying that she has a new hip?” He just laughed, explained about this new technology called “copying” and said that a piece of paper would be worthless. But then he gave a great tip on a restaurant near the top of the gondola on Santorini so it was worthwhile to have raised the question...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Also want to add that you should have no problems. Our son (26) had his hip replaced five years ago (after a childhood infection) and is doing things he never thought he would ever do again! He loves his new hip, and although he does set off the detectors at airports it is never a problem after that - he is wanded or patted down.

Oh, as well - speak up if your pain medication is not helping you enough afterward. Son had a lot of pain and was given a stronger prescription.

Enjoy your new hip and your cruise. :D

DW has had both THR, and had no problems at Cape Liberty, or Cruise Maryland/Baltimore. No problems with boarding the ship after visiting ports either.

btw... I "complained" to her orthopedic surgeon this year that he did such a great job with both of her hips, she no longer qualifies for special assistance or "front of the line" help :D. Good luck with your surgery, and be sure to follow through with your physical therapy.

I feel ya. My recovery has gone so well my regular doctor won't renew my handicapped placard. Except he forgets that it isn't just my hip that is FUBAR. All my other joints are affected too. He told me las visit( about 2 weeks ago, 8 weeks post op) to cut my pain meds in half. Yeah. Not so much. Sure my hip is functioning great, but I still ache everywhere else, especially now that I can walk again....

It will be just like the airport, they take you aside and do the manual metal screening.

I agree. One of our dear friends who we cruise with often had a hip replacement and as Bob says its like the airport. They just take her aside for a few seconds and then she is through security.

Keith

Having 5 joint replacements I always try to get in the line with the hands over your head scanner which doesn't beep for replacements. If I have to go through the X-ray scanner, I really don't mind the pat down. It just takes a few seconds. Just tell them you have replacements. Got used to it over the years.