Butler Deprivation?

Observer

I have only had exceptional Butler service. If Silversea decided to make any change regarding this service, I would no longer travel on board their vessels. I am not a demanding person and found I only had to ask once and my requests would be fulfilled. My Cabin Attendants have also been excellent, accommodating my timing when necessary and doing a fine job.

At the conclusion of my cruises, the memory that carries with me the longest, is that of the people who cared for my wishes during the voyage. Not the destination, the activities, the performances, the food,

the wine, the Officers...........it's the people working the hardest and the longest hours that I value. From Waiters/Waitresses, Front Desk and Shore Excursion personal, Bar Staff. It's these front line people who make an impact and impression of the brand. Treating people with respect and kindness will eliminate a lot of the communication issues.

I have only had exceptional Butler service. If Silversea decided to make any change regarding this service, I would no longer travel on board their vessels. I am not a demanding person and found I only had to ask once and my requests would be fulfilled. My Cabin Attendants have also been excellent, accommodating my timing when necessary and doing a fine job.

At the conclusion of my cruises, the memory that carries with me the longest, is that of the people who cared for my wishes during the voyage. Not the destination, the activities, the performances, the food,

the wine, the Officers...........it's the people working the hardest and the longest hours that I value. From Waiters/Waitresses, Front Desk and Shore Excursion personal, Bar Staff. It's these front line people who make an impact and impression of the brand. Treating people with respect and kindness will eliminate a lot of the communication issues.

If there was a “Like” button this post would earn it from me.

okay, i am not trolling but i expect to be flamed.

I think some (all?) other luxury lines offer butlers for higher priced cabins. Silversea provides them for all cabins.

I find silversea butlers to be intrusive and unnecessary. I am pretty self-sufficient and have found that the suite attendant effectively sees to nearly all of my needs. I do not need my eyeglasses polished and rearranged every day, or my shoes (worn only on the ship) polished several times or my clothes in the closet rearranged (nicely) without any such request. My most recent experience was especially unfortunate with the butler clearly trying to find work (so that i would give him a handsome tip/comment.???). I tried on numerous occasions to suggest that he back off, but he was having none of it.

How would others feel about silversea offering a group of (presumably sub-prime) suites without butler service and with a somewhat lower price?

Let the flame-throwing begin! :):)

ditto ditto

Zombatar,

Did you ever post any pictures of your time on the Wind?

If so I guess I missed them. I wanted to see your custom tux.

Also I hope you brought the absentee butler to the HDs attention.

As for me, with the exception of one butler, who was a little off balanced and lurked in the hallways and wanted to talk about her troubles, we have had positive experiences. Some butlers have been extraordinary. Others less so, but all have been attentive and helpful.

Sorry spin but I didn't have a camera or phone with me and was studiously ignored by everybody including the ships photographer on our only formal night. I will post a pic of the Tux this week but a pic of me in it with drink in hand will have to wait until September when we are in Queens grill on Victoria. Suspect it might raise a few eyebrows then as well !!!

Peter

Yes, it was me! I've had wonderful butlers in SS, none of them intrusive. They would take care of any issue or errand given to them, and follow up on resolutions, if needed. Unfortunately, not having a butler has led to continuous calls to Guest Services and the aggravation of constant follow ups. Our butlers soon learned that we enjoyed specific tea sandwiches and drinks delivered to our room at 4pm each day and... voilà! Always there. They have been a pleasure to chat with, at my initiative. No tip expected; none given. Maybe it is a good idea to inform Reception if anybody wishes to opt out of the service, but please let's continue the service to those that find it useful.

I agree that the Butler service should be kept up as most like it. After reading what people use their butler for I understand more why it didn't work for us. We don't do morning or afternoon tea, prefer to get our morning coffee ourselves on the way to the Gym. Don't drink alcoholic drinks in our room as we prefer to go to a bar. I prefer to get an answer directly re any queries so happily went to reception or the shore excursion staff.

No wonder our butler was so confused re our lack of requests.:D

I find this thread an interesting insight into showing how different people require different things from the cruise lines.

Julie

Add us to the list of those who donate to the Crew Welfare fund rather than tip any individual. We always write a letter to the HD some time during the cruise highlighting all the staff who deserve special mention. We also fill out the questionnaires that go to the head office and include names of the special staff.

The Wind had a ship photographer on board?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the penultimate day their were some pictures of the cruise (can't remember where we saw them) showing shots from the whole week including many of the formal night. I said ships photographer but it could have been any member of the crew whom took them. Not one of us though!!

Peter and Jenny

To us, the butler is the worst part of traveling on SS. As far as expecting a tip, they have in the past done more to reduce the tip we give them instead of doing anything to increase it.

Read your post a couple of times, and if I understand you correctly, you still leave Silversea butlers a tip who have dissapointed you?

Do you not agree that what encourages poor service more than almost anything else is when those providing it still receive tips for sub-standard service from customers?

I totally agree with the OP. Butlers are a ridiculous part of Silversea's overall snobbery. Get rid of the butlers and the dress code. I like the ships, the service standards, the itineraries. I don't want them to make me feel as if I'm on some floating Downton Abbey trip.

We like the butlers. We also liked the stewardesses in all those pre-butler years. Certainly the butlers vary, but we have never had a really bad one, and many have been excellent. We don't demand too much from them, explain what we do and do not want them to do, and they have not been intrusive. We do not tip. We always donate to the Crew Welfare Fund instead.

Oh, and we still like the dress code.:D

And we do too!

We live in the country and the dress of the day is mud shoes and jeans with a fleece or sweatshirt and a Barbour on top. Sooo, we actually like the chance to dress up. Over the years we've accumulated quite a wardrobe of dressy/formal wear. Unless we go on Cunard or SS, we never get to use any of it. I have some beautiful jewelry that I never get to wear unless it's on a cruise!

So I will enjoy my somewhat limited play on Downton Abby! (giggle!)

We love The Butler’s and no way would it be the same without them, especially like that they sort all the shore excursions bookings, maps etc, always get us on the first bus, they are well connected !!

We find their attention to our Suite and Wardrobe excellent, and we sure miss them, when we get home.

They are an integral part of S S and that is why we enjoy it so much. :D

Having just got of our first Silversea cruise I will put forward my opinion.

We really found having a butler an added extra we would prefer not to have. He was a lovely guy but it got tiring to constantly reassure him we did not need his services. Every time he saw us he asked what he could do, it got so we would hope not to see him as it felt awkward to us.

We missed the friendly interaction and banter we had with our stewardesses on Seabourn who we could joke with and ask each about how the day had been. Silversea seemed so much more formal, even when we tried to lighten the mood by joking. We have had one or two not so great stewardesses but generally they were lovely and did all we required.

I read a review of someone who recently sailed on Odyssey and while not negating the issues they encountered, their comment regarding missing their butler on Silversea struck home. It proved to me how we all have different wants and needs on our cruises.:)

Julie

Julie: you nailed it! Just back from our first Silversea cruise and we struggled to understand the difference between the Butler and the stewardess. We often found our shoes wrapped in tissue paper when we hadn’t asked for shoe shining (mine were patent leather). A friend on the same trip said their butler followed them to the elevator and punched the button for them. He seemed very “needy” to them and they finally placated him by ordering different pillows every few days. I’d just appreciate a solid suite attendant who consistently replenishes the towels, toiletries and mini bar items.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We love The Butler’s and no way would it be the same without them, especially like that they sort all the shore excursions bookings, maps etc, always get us on the first bus, they are well connected !!

We find their attention to our Suite and Wardrobe excellent, and we sure miss them, when we get home.

They are an integral part of S S and that is why we enjoy it so much

Well stated.

Julie: you nailed it! Just back from our first Silversea cruise and we struggled to understand the difference between the Butler and the stewardess. We often found our shoes wrapped in tissue paper when we hadn’t asked for shoe shining (mine were patent leather). A friend on the same trip said their butler followed them to the elevator and punched the button for them. He seemed very “needy” to them and they finally placated him by ordering different pillows every few days. I’d just appreciate a solid suite attendant who consistently replenishes the towels, toiletries and mini bar items.

I feel for you for not understanding the difference. After 3 SS, 2 Crystal, 1 Regent, 1 Paul Gauguin and 1 Windstar cruise(s), it is hard for me to understand how you could not. My wife loved when our butler walked with us to the elevator and pushed the button. Didn't happen all of the time, but loved it when it did.

Going back to the original post, which referenced “somewhat lower price”.

I really don’t want SS to start the slide down this slippery slope.

One of the things I really enjoy about my cruises on SS is that, essentially, everyone is equal. Other cruise lines nickel and dime their passengers to death.

If they start with ‘some suites without butler service’ how long do you think it will take the corporate bean counters to start charging extra for suites with butlers? It never works for very long that the price is reduced for less service. The lesser service becomes the ‘standard’ and then everything else becomes an additional charge.

Sailing SS is not one of those cruise lines where you can try to “get your money’s worth”. That’s not the point. If you want to get your money’s worth, sail on on of the cruise lines where the room is $65.00 per night and everything else is a la carte.

We don’t use our butler very much. At the beginning of the cruise we tell them this, and for the most part we get along well. We don’t tip, because we believe the advertising that says we have already paid the tips when we pay for the cost of the cruise.

I pay for personalized service, good food, a clean comfortable cabin, a high crew to passenger ratio, interesting itineraries, no line ups, and not having to swipe a card every time I want a glass of wine or cup of cappuccino. The butler is just part of the package.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Going back to the original post, which referenced “somewhat lower price”.

I really don’t want SS to start the slide down this slippery slope.

One of the things I really enjoy about my cruises on SS is that, essentially, everyone is equal. Other cruise lines nickel and dime their passengers to death.

If they start with ‘some suites without butler service’ how long do you think it will take the corporate bean counters to start charging extra for suites with butlers? It never works for very long that the price is reduced for less service. The lesser service becomes the ‘standard’ and then everything else becomes an additional charge.

Sailing SS is not one of those cruise lines where you can try to “get your money’s worth”. That’s not the point. If you want to get your money’s worth, sail on on of the cruise lines where the room is $65.00 per night and everything else is a la carte.

Very well said.

At any one time there is such a choice of cruise lines only too happy to pare down their levels of service etc then more than make up for that with hideously painful charges for anything that isn't nailed down. SS is one class, one level - it's the full tasting menu rather than the a la carte and lots of people seem to like it that way.

I totally agree with the OP. Butlers are a ridiculous part of Silversea's overall snobbery. Get rid of the butlers and the dress code. I like the ships, the service standards, the itineraries. I don't want them to make me feel as if I'm on some floating Downton Abbey trip.

But then travelling with SS isn't compulsory. If you don't like those aspects that plenty of others do like there are plenty of alternatives. For many SSers the maintenance of more traditional standards is a significant positive. I don't think the implied insults in your second and final sentences are particularly helpful.

But then travelling with SS isn't compulsory. If you don't like those aspects that plenty of others do like there are plenty of alternatives. For many SSers the maintenance of more traditional standards is a significant positive. I don't think the implied insults in your second and final sentences are particularly helpful.

Well said TTS, agree with both your posts.

We like the butlers. We also liked the stewardesses in all those pre-butler years. Certainly the butlers vary, but we have never had a really bad one, and many have been excellent. We don't demand too much from them, explain what we do and do not want them to do, and they have not been intrusive. We do not tip. We always donate to the Crew Welfare Fund instead.

Oh, and we still like the dress code.:D

As do we.