What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

bklynfinest77

You can only bid up 2 levels from booking.

So inside can go to balcony.

OV to mini

Balcony to suite

Etc.

Not in our case. We received an offer to bid on upgrades to all 7 categories above our booking. We bid on (and received) the category that was 3 levels above our original booking.

Not in our case. We received an offer to bid on upgrades to all 7 categories above our booking. We bid on (and received) the category that was 3 levels above our original booking.
What were the offers (stateroom not necessarily $). The program is a minimum of 2 categories and at the discretion of NCL (based on bookings, occupancy, etc) they can offer greater than the 2...... that's fantastic for you!!! It doesn't happen too often. Enjoy!!

Sent from my SM-T820 using Forums mobile app

Perhaps it a misunderstanding as to what a category is... for instance you can bid on oceanview or balcony if in an inside.. a balcony or minisuite if in an oceanview or suite or haven if in a balcony...

I don't think there are 7 categories on any ship and the smaller ones, some only have 5 in total others 6.

Not sure you understand the category part. Or are thinking upgrade vs bidding.

Cabin categories are.

Solo-(not available on all ships)

Inside

Ocean view

Balcony

Mini Suite

Suite (not available on all ships)

Haven.

Within each category you may have options within but they are still within the category.

To say you were able to bid on all would be that you booked a inside studio solo and had options to bid on OV, Balcony, Mini Suites, and Haven including the DOS and GV. I highly doubt a solo in a studio bid on a GV in the haven.

I'm reading upgrade and bidding...the same or different? Also, any idea how many receive the option to bid ....I suppose it is based on availability. I hope to get an offer to bid (or upgrade?) in 4 days.

Upgrade is you calling to pay full difference in price to go to a higher category room. You get to pick the cabin unless upgrading to only a guarantee room. Plus you can add additional perks if available.

Bidding is you get a prompt after final payment that allows you to bid for a higher category than you booked. You won't know til possibly 2 days prior to sailing if you won. If you didn't, no charge. If you did they charge the card you provided. You don't get to pick actual room within category or where on ship. You get the things included with the room itself, but not additional perks.

Sorry if this has been asked before but this has 169 pages to scroll through.

We’re in a penthouse and have been offered to bid on haven. Except our sailing is showing all sold out except for inside and OV. It seems strange if everything higher is full to be offered this. Are the emails automatically sent out for every sailing or does NCL think they’ll be last minute haven cacnellations?

I think you have it. NCL wants bids in place to cover any last minute cancellations. They have to keep those cabins fully booked !

Not sure you understand the category part. Or are thinking upgrade vs bidding.

Cabin categories are.

Solo-(not available on all ships)

Inside

Ocean view

Balcony

Mini Suite

Suite (not available on all ships)

Haven.

Within each category you may have options within but they are still within the category.

To say you were able to bid on all would be that you booked a inside studio solo and had options to bid on OV, Balcony, Mini Suites, and Haven including the DOS and GV. I highly doubt a solo in a studio bid on a GV in the haven.

NCL themselves call their staterooms "categories" on their website, and designates them by their lettering system, so that's what I go by. Ours was not a paid upgrade, it was a bid. I think I posted it a few weeks ago on this thread. We originally booked the lowest category suite (Family Suite - SJ) on the Dawn. We received invitations to bid on every suite above ours - 7 of them, which original fares are at escalating price points, so like NCL does, I consider that 7 different categories:

1. Aft-facing PH

2. Forward PH

3. Family Suite with Balcony

4. 2-Bedroom Family Suite with Balcony

5. Owner's Suite with 2 Balconies

6. Deluxe Owner's Suite

7. 3-Bedroom Garden Villa

Each one had the scale to place our bid(s), so we could submit 7 bids at whatever price points they were offering. We bid $15pp above the minimum bid on a Family Suite with Balcony (SD) which is a 3-category jump, and were granted it 32 days from sailing.

NCL themselves call their staterooms "categories" on their website, and designates them by their lettering system, so that's what I go by. Ours was not a paid upgrade, it was a bid. I think I posted it a few weeks ago on this thread. We originally booked the lowest category suite (Family Suite - SJ) on the Dawn. We received invitations to bid on every suite above ours - 7 of them, which original fares are at escalating price points, so like NCL does, I consider that 7 different categories:

1. Aft-facing PH

2. Forward PH

3. Family Suite with Balcony

4. 2-Bedroom Family Suite with Balcony

5. Owner's Suite with 2 Balconies

6. Deluxe Owner's Suite

7. 3-Bedroom Garden Villa

Each one had the scale to place our bid(s), so we could submit 7 bids at whatever price points they were offering. We bid $15pp above the minimum bid on a Family Suite with Balcony (SD) which is a 3-category jump, and were granted it 32 days from sailing.

Ok. Just a difference in terminology. You are still a suite bidding on higher Suite category cabins.

The 2 categories up set by NCL that I'm aware of is so that someone booking an OV doesn't bid on Suites or above since 2 level up from OV would be Balcony and Mini's.

We sail in at least Mini's so never seen if the bids for the lower category are broken down the way Suites are. - like does a OV bidding on Balcony get to bid on all the different groups of Balcony or is it just a general Balcony.

Sailing Mini or better there just isn't worry about a bad room. :-).

Our upcoming is in a Foward Suite on the Pearl- we bid on the Suites above us but not going to be disappointed if we are in the forward penthouse either.

Our upcoming is in a Foward Suite on the Pearl- we bid on the Suites above us but not going to be disappointed if we are in the forward penthouse either.

Exactly. I always say, book the minimum stateroom you'd be happy with and don't expect or anticipate anything more. And then don't "over-bid" with an amount that makes you uncomfortable. If you get your bid accepted, great. If not, you know you are still good with what you originally booked.

Exactly. I always say, book the minimum stateroom you'd be happy with and don't expect or anticipate anything more. And then don't "over-bid" with an amount that makes you uncomfortable. If you get your bid accepted, great. If not, you know you are still good with what you originally booked.

Fully agree.

Everyone might like a deal and while some are happy with an inside or OV room with a possible upgrade we enjoy a bit more space and like the enjoyment of a private balcony and cabin placement on the ship also.

Over bid needs watched too. We noticed that bidding would actually allow paying as much as directly booking if not a bit more.

First time sailing with NCL and we got our upgrade email today for our May EPIC sailing. We're 3 passengers currently in a mini-suite, and our upgrade offers were for 3 different Haven rooms. Interestingly, one of the rooms only fits 2 people, so not sure why they would even offer that to us. I guess my husband and I would be on the round bed, and my mother-in-law has to sleep on the floor?

We put in bids for both H4 (2 bedroom family villa) and H2 (deluxe owners suite). Since there's 3 of us, the more than double (close to triple with the H2) room space and 100+ sqft balcony were well worth the price if it gets accepted.

We took advantage of the 3rd passenger sailing for free and free drink package for my husband and I. If we stay in the mini suite, we feel like we stole the cruise from them seeing as how my MIL is coming for free. If we get an upgrade, the 3 of us will be extremely comfortable and still have received a decent deal on the price.

Over bid needs watched too. We noticed that bidding would actually allow paying as much as directly booking if not a bit more.

That was definitely something I paid attention to. We booked a year in advance and our original cabin was at $2499pp. The fare kept dropping across the months, and I got our booking adjusted accordingly. But then the bidding email came and it was a bit enticing. Now net-net, we are paying $285 per person less for the upgraded cabin than for the cabin we originally booked. We thought that substantiated our bid. We can't wait to sail!!! One week from today...

I can’t take it. 47 days out, will my bid be excepted. The anxiety is killing me. I am hoping for an early response. 🤞

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank God I'm not the only one, I check my emails constantly, I know they can accept 2 days before but jeez let me know one way or the other the anticipation is killing me LOL

I was like this a few weeks ago, but now I’ve given up. Our sailing (March 10) has been completely sold out for a week.

Good luck to all of you.

I wouldn’t give up as there will Be cancellations.

I was like this a few weeks ago, but now I’ve given up. Our sailing (March 10) has been completely sold out for a week.

Good luck to all of you.

Ours doesn't even show as an available sailing!

Sorry, I meant to say accepted.

When you check on your bid at the bottom right it goes from pending to something else if your bid is accepted, does anyone remember what it says?

I believe it says Processing

They have til 2 days before sailing (about 48hrs) to notify you. I've seen a few say they got notifications earlier than that but IMO you likely over bid if you managed that one.

People have said they've gotten notified of acceptance even when cruise shows sold out for weeks but still not til 2 days or so before sailing.

Always book what you are going to be happy with, and consider the bidding process something like playing the lottery except you don't pay if you don't win.

From this thread I have learned the following:

• Letters typically go out 80 days before embarkation
  • Opportunities to bid on upgrades are not offered to everyone
  • If you have an opportunity to bid it also shows up on MyNCL
  • If you have used a travel agent their agency may not participate in this process

If my travel agency (Cruise Planners) does not participate will it still show up on MyNCL, allowing me to bid anyway?

Silly question, but I haven't been on a cruise in over 10 years so forgive my ignorance.

For those of you who were successful in your bids with previous trips, what impact does this have on all of your documentation if you are going from a non-Haven room to now a Haven room? I would imagine your boarding documents will need to be changed and updated as well as possibly luggage tags.

Since I'm arriving in Rome several days prior to my departure sailing, I'm just concerned about being in a foreign country with limited (if any) access to a computer and printer to redo my paperwork if I'm suddenly upgraded into Haven.

Any insight into the logistics of this upgrade with so little notice before sailing?