Residing near an NCL home port

Something fun!

Would you ever make a housing decision based on the location to a cruise port? We have discussed moving south in the future and part of me wants it to be close to an NCL home port. Anyone else with similar thoughts? :confused::eek::p

OH YES Thought about moving to New Orleans I live 5 hours from Seattle, Washington now.

Central Florida!

I’m an hour away from Port Canaveral, 2-2½ hours from port of Tampa, 3½ -4 hours from Port of Miami. Oh, and there’s always Ft. Lauderdale!

Though my wife and I are NCL loyal right now (we just started cruising) we’ve got dozens of choices no more than four hours from our driveway if we ever decide to switch it up.

What exactly do you mean by near port living? And what happens if NCL decided not to use that particular port anymore?

Most ports are not exactly in the best of neighborhoods, at least in FL, and we have lots. Iron left out Jax.

What exactly do you mean by near port living? And what happens if NCL decided not to use that particular port anymore?

Most ports are not exactly in the best of neighborhoods, at least in FL, and we have lots. Iron left out Jax.

For 10 years I could see the ships in port from my condo in Miami on Biscayne Bay, which was a great neighborhood. I also have friends who live in beautiful modern buildings with views of the ships going in and out of Port Everglades.

We live less than an hour away from both Port Everglades and Port of Miami, and every now and then it's nice not to have to travel half-way around the world to catch a cruise. But as someone else said, the itineraries can get pretty boring, especially since the cruise ports in the Caribbean are very much like our home.

What's more important to us is living less than an hour away from MIA and FLL. We have flown to more cruises than we've driven to.

That said, we have a wide choice of TA's and those are the ones we drive to most frequently.

Can’t believe I forgot about Jacksonville! :eek:

BirdTravles is semi right. But there are several different itineraries at all the ports and even if you went on the same one the next time, there’s always different excursions to do. That would hold me over for several cruises.

Also, my wife and I just discovered cruising. So we could drive to these different ports and not get bored of the itineraries for several years, at least.

Admittedly, I haven’t done any research, (and I may be a little biased) but at first glance, Florida seems to be a great place to live if you like to cruise.

Thanks for the replies! We live 30 min away from port and I definitely could see myself partially weighing cruising distance into consideration if we were to move. Yes, there would be the routine intineraries, but also the one offs too. Not retired yet so I can't move onto the ship unfortunately

For 10 years I could see the ships in port from my condo in Miami on Biscayne Bay, which was a great neighborhood. I also have friends who live in beautiful modern buildings with views of the ships going in and out of Port Everglades.

Oh, there are some great neighborhoods that can SEE the port, but how great are the neighborhoods AT the port.

As for itineraries getting old. That depends on how adventurous you are. How many times can you go to Grand Cayman Island for a day and see something different? If you only do the main 5 tourist things maybe 3-5 times, but if you venture out on your own there are tons of things to see and do.

How about Belize? I have spent over 200 days there total, and I still haven't done even a small percentage of what I would like to do. And that doesn't include doing some of those things several times, diving is different every time you go down. Going into the Jaguar Preserve is different every time you go.

How many things have you not seen or experienced right in your own home town? There are almost always new things to do, you just have to look beyond the first brochure.

Can’t believe I forgot about Jacksonville! :eek:

BirdTravles is semi right. But there are several different itineraries at all the ports and even if you went on the same one the next time, there’s always different excursions to do. That would hold me over for several cruises.

Also, my wife and I just discovered cruising. So we could drive to these different ports and not get bored of the itineraries for several years, at least.

Admittedly, I haven’t done any research, (and I may be a little biased) but at first glance, Florida seems to be a great place to live if you like to cruise.

20 years ago I lived in Jacksonville for a year! Although I had gone on a few cruises from 92-96; I wish I would have taken advantage of it and gone down to southern Florida for a weekend cruise.

I am thinking 20-30 years from now I would totally want to be in a city or somewhere near a port .

I was thinking more in terms of a short driving distance (being able to leave home the morning of the cruise), not necessarily living on top of the port. Home prices in that manner are all relative anyway. After living near the coast in Massachusetts, the prices aren't so shocking. I could definitively be swayed to live in Florida rather than the Carolinas just to be able to be home the day of embarkation or disembarkation with a repo out of Miami or Tampa. New Orleans, while further, would be another driving option. I guess I have the crusing bug that is stronger than my fear of sink holes and hurricanes. The headaches of the TSA and the airlines are making flying even more unappealing with every passing year also.

Central Florida!

I’m an hour away from Port Canaveral, 2-2½ hours from port of Tampa, 3½ -4 hours from Port of Miami. Oh, and there’s always Ft. Lauderdale!.

We also live in Central FL, moved here due to job transfer. Interesting though, when we first moved down here, we didn’t want to go on any cruises since we had Caribbean weather most of the year in our back yard.

Don

I live in Florida and between all of the ports how on earth could you get bored with the same itenerary between all of the different cruise lines? NCL, Disney, RCL, MSC, Carnival and so on. Please don't tell me you'd actually limit yourself to only NCL. Variety is the spice of life.

I live in Florida and between all of the ports how on earth could you get bored with the same itenerary between all of the different cruise lines? NCL, Disney, RCL, MSC, Carnival and so on. Please don't tell me you'd actually limit yourself to only NCL. Variety is the spice of life.

Indeed. I'm so jealous for that reason and the obvious tropical weather. We must be nuts living in New England, although I just booked a ski trip for next weekend. I'd prefer not to get my *kicks* on Carnival though. :o

Indeed. I'm so jealous for that reason and the obvious tropical weather. We must be nuts living in New England, although I just booked a ski trip for next weekend. I'd prefer not to get my *kicks* on Carnival though. :o

How many Carnival cruises have you been on and what ships? Any of the new mega ships? For some reason people like to bash Carnival based on second hand accounts or past experiences on a 3 night booze cruise on a 20 year old ship. The reality is that there are so many more similarities than differences between NCL, RCL and Carnival.

How many Carnival cruises have you been on and what ships? Any of the new mega ships? For some reason people like to bash Carnival based on second hand accounts or past experiences on a 3 night booze cruise on a 20 year old ship. The reality is that there are so many more similarities than differences between NCL, RCL and Carnival.

Zero. I was referencing the brawl that came out in the news yesterday where Carnival "security" were recorded kicking the people involved.

And I do realize that situation can happen anywhere.

I guess I have the crusing bug that is stronger than my fear of sink holes and hurricanes. The headaches of the TSA and the airlines are making flying even more unappealing with every passing year also.

Sinkholes are pretty rare, and of all the weather issues, I have never had a hurricane sneak up and surprise me. Find your neighbors that grew up in that area and follow their lead.

I agree with the TSA issues though. Absolutely hate flying now because of them, I would rather lose a day of vacation than deal with them breaking things and confiscating things that are on their own approved list.

Zero. I was referencing the brawl that came out in the news yesterday where Carnival "security" were recorded kicking the people involved.

And I do realize that situation can happen anywhere.

Kicking the people during the fight to break them up I can understand. Letting the single family terrorize passengers for days? I have a hard time with that. Especially when the same family members were involved in multiple fights throughout the cruise where they injured people, targeted ethnic harassment, and direct threats to other passengers and crew. The fact that Carnival didn't stop it sooner shows that they are more concerned with not upsetting a passenger than with passengers upsetting everyone else.

Would you ever make a housing decision based on the location to a cruise port? We have discussed moving south in the future and part of me wants it to be close to an NCL home port. Anyone else with similar thoughts? :confused::eek::p

So O.P.

Let me read between the line's.

You NOW live in a coastal town close to a Homeport and do not want to give that up. :evilsmile:

So O.P.

Let me read between the line's.

You NOW live in a coastal town close to a Homeport and do not want to give that up. :evilsmile:

Bingo! You read my mind. It's almost as if you have had similar ideas. :D;p I thought it would be a more interesting topic than the usual ubp/udp/dsc/sos too. :beer-toast: