Place saver sign for Lido restaurant

sunonfire

Worse than any sign or place savers are the folks who sit at the table playing cards or just killing time while other people can’t find an empty table to eat at. Eat and move on!

Or just sitting there with their luggage because the cabins aren't ready yet. The buffet is not the place to wait for your cabin! There are plenty of lounges all over the ship for that. That drives me crazy.

I did a search and could not find any postings. I am thinking about bringing a computer printed sign to hold our table at the Lido Restaurant. In the past we have had to take turns getting food which is a pain. We have also had our table cleared by the bussers even though we had only gone for dessert. My husband has back issues so he wants to sit as soon as he gets his food. He hates having to look for me or a table. So I would prefer to pick out table before getting our food. We normally eat early to avoid the crowds. I know guests leave books to save a table. I just thought a sign would be better. Any thoughts?

Find a table FIRST and sit down. Have one go and get food, then the other. Then your husband can sit as soon as he get his food, A staff member will even help him if he need it. Saving of tables, with signs or whatever, opens the door for chair hogs to become table hogs too,

I had to go back and re-read OP’s post to see if I missed something. I didn’t. I am of the opinion that there is nothing wrong with what they are asking to do! It’s not like they are reserving a table for the entire week! It’s just why they are eating! Maybe make the sign say “IN USE”, Sheesh people, lighten up a little.

I had to go back and re-read OP’s post to see if I missed something. I didn’t. I am of the opinion that there is nothing wrong with what they are asking to do! It’s not like they are reserving a table for the entire week! It’s just why they are eating! Maybe make the sign say “IN USE”, Sheesh people, lighten up a little.

They're asking for special treatment. Everyone else either:

A) Gets their food and then looks for a table, or

B) Gets their food in shifts with one person physically reserving the table.

But the OP wants special privileges based on whatever Sob Story of the Week they're peddling.

Edited by RaiderDuck

OP, place a couple of personal items on the table (book & a sweater?). Try and get your meal and come back to table as soon as possible.

As for people posting that they would rip up a sign etc, just remember that everyone is dealing with their own things/issues. Perhaps the sign is there because the guest is mobility impaired or blind? Although I think there might be better ( or less "I'm entitled" looking) ways to reserve a seat or table, I just move on and find a table that's not occupied.

I would not move your sign. I understand, and yes it does suck to take turns getting food especially if the lines are long. One person has to eat in order to avoid food being cold, then has to wait while the other eats. I for one actually enjoy the company of my partner, and want to eat our meals together... with conversation.

It does not hurt ANYONE if a table is held while a couple goes and gets food, comes back and eats, and then leaves the dining area. Unlike some of these people, carrying mounds of food all in one or two plates, we prefer a more conservative approach with one plate at a time, as we can go back for more if still hungry. We should not lose our table for this... and we don't!! Most of the time we tell a nearby server, and their words almost every single time are "ok, I will save the table for you." (CCL & RCI) Funny, if it is not allowed, that crew would offer to watch it for you. That is because there is no rule. If you are occupying the table, you do not lose it if you both get up to go to get more, or dessert, or something different.

If you like taking turns, and prefer shoveling your food down with no real conversation or time to enjoy your food.. well have at it. That does not mean others need to do the same thing.

I don’t like it that my husband and I have to take turns either, but that’s just how it works. Heck, if the lines are long sometimes I just get food for both of us while he saves a table. You’ve gotta do what you’ve gotta do. Go ahead and try it. But I guarantee that someone, most likely another passenger, will move it and sit right down. And I wouldn’t blame them. I would probably do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The reason that I asked is because I could not find any information. You said it is not allowed but where does it say that - not on Carnival’s website. If a book or piece of clothing will do, then that’s what I’ll do.

My husband has back, leg and arthritis issues. Most people on the ship will have some kind of problem. What makes you think you have priority over all other cruisers? Anything but a body at a table should be removed so someone can use the table. This is not your private ship. I just don't understand where you think it is ok?

I would not move your sign. I understand, and yes it does suck to take turns getting food especially if the lines are long. One person has to eat in order to avoid food being cold, then has to wait while the other eats. I for one actually enjoy the company of my partner, and want to eat our meals together... with conversation.

It does not hurt ANYONE if a table is held while a couple goes and gets food, comes back and eats, and then leaves the dining area. Unlike some of these people, carrying mounds of food all in one or two plates, we prefer a more conservative approach with one plate at a time, as we can go back for more if still hungry. We should not lose our table for this... and we don't!! Most of the time we tell a nearby server, and their words almost every single time are "ok, I will save the table for you." (CCL & RCI) Funny, if it is not allowed, that crew would offer to watch it for you. That is because there is no rule. If you are occupying the table, you do not lose it if you both get up to go to get more, or dessert, or something different.

If you like taking turns, and prefer shoveling your food down with no real conversation or time to enjoy your food.. well have at it. That does not mean others need to do the same thing.

Yes! Perfectly put!!! As long as they are using that table to eat, they are entitled to it! Snobs move on! Talk about decency!

I did a search and could not find any postings. I am thinking about bringing a computer printed sign to hold our table at the Lido Restaurant. In the past we have had to take turns getting food which is a pain. We have also had our table cleared by the bussers even though we had only gone for dessert. My husband has back issues so he wants to sit as soon as he gets his food. He hates having to look for me or a table. So I would prefer to pick out table before getting our food. We normally eat early to avoid the crowds. I know guests leave books to save a table. I just thought a sign would be better. Any thoughts?

I'm sorry your husband has back issues.

you say he wants to sit as soon as he gets food, but complain because the table is emptied while you are both gone

They're asking for special treatment. Everyone else either:

A) Gets their food and then looks for a table, or

B) Gets their food in shifts with one person physically reserving the table.

But the OP wants special privileges based on whatever Sob Story of the Week they're peddling.

I don’t see how they are asking for special treatment... they are there to eat at that table. Who cares if they find the table and then go get their food? Maybe get drinks first and silverware and set it on the table. Geeze, I’ve never encountered such mean, angry people as this post has brought out. Seriously....

I wouldn't throw away a book or bag. If I decided to ignore those items, I would just push them aside and sit down.

On a 28 day cruise someone forgot their ballcap on a table in the lido deck. Cruisers ignored it because they thought someone was getting food, it reamained there from the second day all the way to the end of the cruise. The table for 10 people sat empty for 4 weeks.

Yeah right.

The reason that I asked is because I could not find any information. You said it is not allowed but where does it say that - not on Carnival’s website. If a book or piece of clothing will do, then that’s what I’ll do.

Where does it say that? Lol. I haven't been told I can't go around the counter and just start making my own food, but do I need to see a rule saying I can't? No, I don't. If you want to see rules look for the sign that I will start bringing. "Any signs reserving tables will be promptly thrown away".

We are usually offered to sit with strangers if wandering around looking for a table with our hands full of food trays. No problem, we usually end up good cruise friends.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are either invited to sit with others or we ask if we can sit with others.

One of the many things I love about cruising is meeting new people.

I am not sure why getting food in shifts is a big deal. My husband and I are not physically impaired and we still get our food in shifts, both on cruises and at buffets on land. Just pick your table and then you'll know where to meet.

My wife and I always get our food first, then look for an available table. Works for us. In fourteen years of cruising we've never once not been able to find an empty table with a little patience. The thought of trying to reserve a table has not, nor would it ever, occur to me. Lido tables are first come, first serve.

In the OP's situation, where the husband has back issues, I think the obvious solution is to get food separately.

I am not sure why getting food in shifts is a big deal. My husband and I are not physically impaired and we still get our food in shifts, both on cruises and at buffets on land. Just pick your table and then you'll know where to meet.

We do the same thing at land based buffets, so that my wife can leave her purse at the table and I can watch it. Not a big deal at all.

. We should not lose our table for this... and we don't!! Most of the time we tell a nearby server, and their words almost every single time are "ok, I will save the table for you." (CCL & RCI) Funny, if it is not allowed, that crew would offer to watch it for you. That is because there is no rule. If you are occupying the table, you do not lose it if you both get up to go to get more, or dessert, or something different. .

Perfection. No rules broken because there is not rule. I commend your resourcefulness.

DH and I usually just eat together in the Lido for the embarkation lunch. After that he usually goes by himself and brings me something to our cabin, or I order room service for lunch. That said, on embarkation day it can be crowded when we usually get there about 11:30-11:45am, so we find a table and one of us waits while the other gets lunch. It's not a pain at all, at least not for us. I do see other passengers leaving totes or their carry on luggage at their table and then get their food together.

Folks are really over-thinking this. There are a lot of places to eat, a lot of times to eat, and lots (and lots) of tables. Figure out when it's least crowded and go eat. I travel solo, and don't expect "my" table to be free when I get back from 2nd helpings. I just find another table or ask someone to share.This isn't difficult or complicated.

This was a pretty amazing thread to read all the way through in one sitting.

When I read OP’s post I thought Huh! That won’t work, because people will know it’s not an official sign.

I read post after post condemning

DH OP for asking. Accusing her of a feeling of entitlement and worse.

My impression was that she was feeling us out to see if her sign would work.

The answer is no, because people would sit down, anyway. Pure and simple, no need for personal attacks.

DH and I take turns. He goes first because he is diabetic and it’s time for him to eat. Then I can hobble around and look before I fill my plate.

Yes, that’s slower than both going together, but no worries about the table being cleared. If there is room for more people, that’s fine. We’ve met a variety of strangers at various tables on cruises, and after 57 years of marriage, we’re happy to see new faces.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband and I get our food at the same time and then we find a table. We get our drinks last. We used to get our drinks and silverware and then put them down at the table first. But one time we did that at a table for two and when we both came back with our plates of food, a lady was sitting at our table and eating. She seemed to not notice the two sets of silverware and drinks right beside her plate. LOL.

Forget the sign just leave a jacket or towel and a clean cup and utensils .