Please join us - Spain to the New World on a new ship - LIVE from Oceania Riviera

kazu

I did see them fingerprinting and taking photos of some people though?

That'd be us 'aliens' - happens each time we enter or leave the USA. With the collection of photos they have of me they'd be able to see how I've aged over the years if they ever put Them side by side lol :):)

Have thoroughly enjoyed your thoughts on the good the bad and the unfortunate aspects of your latest cruise Jacqui

Home safe and sound, and well. I was having nightmares of coming down with the NV on the way home while flying. Enjoying meeting many from our roll call. Ours was a good cruise until IT happened. I'll post some thoughts on my thread in the next day or so.

Hope our friends we met that are staying on for the next leg stay well. We got off and to the airport with no issues. Disembarkation seemed fairly normal for us.

Jacqui, enjoyed meeting you and your husband Jose. Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Thanks ORV, we enjoyed meeting you two too. You helped make the cruise fun :)

I do believe we have discovered our Typhoid Mary (or one of them).

Saying good bye to some of our roll call on disembarkation morning and Sam & Irene told me they shared a table at Red Ginger on the last night. The lady there told them she arrived on the ship SICK and was sick for several days. They asked her if she reported and she said NO. I won't delved into the rest of the conversation but ...

She didn't seem the need. I suspect she didn't want to be quarantined.

Sam & Irene were horrified.. I suspect she went around the ship when she felt up to it and most likely she and others like her were the cause of the problem.

People like that should be banned from all cruise lines IMO.

Saying good bye to some of our roll call on disembarkation morning and Sam & Irene told me they shared a table at Red Ginger on the last night. The lady there told them she arrived on the ship SICK and was sick for several days. They asked her if she reported and she said NO. I won't delved into the rest of the conversation but ...

She didn't seem the need. I suspect she didn't want to be quarantined.

:eek:

she was probably not the only culprit

How sad that she could not just quarantine herself for 24-48hrs & not cause the problems that ensued

:eek:

she was probably not the only culprit

How sad that she could not just quarantine herself for 24-48hrs & not cause the problems that ensued

Oh I so agree. We know that not everyone reports sadly, but poor Sam & Irene were horrified. I would have gotten up and asked for a new table .

If I wasn't so shocked i probably would have said something too.

But I am bad. that type of behaviour is so irresponsible and so unfair to everyone else on the ship that I find it reprehensible.

There was a lady like that on the Prinsendam and I did report her ;)

Yup, I'm bad.

We are at Fort Lauderdale airport waiting for our flight and then to Toronto for another wait for our connecting flight. I should have internet, so if anyone has any questions or if I missed something, please ask and if I have the answer I will give it. If not, hopefully one of our roll call members will help.

Some of them did not have internet on the ship, so I know they will be coming on to read and hopefully post.

We are at Fort Lauderdale airport waiting for our flight and then to Toronto for another wait for our connecting flight. I should have internet, so if anyone has any questions or if I missed something, please ask and if I have the answer I will give it. If not, hopefully one of our roll call members will help.

Some of them did not have internet on the ship, so I know they will be coming on to read and hopefully post.

I know that I said this before but I think most people that have followed your reporting are very grateful for all the wonderful words and pictures you sent us. Almost feels like I was on board. THANK YOU. Travel safely....

I know that I said this before but I think most people that have followed your reporting are very grateful for all the wonderful words and pictures you sent us. Almost feels like I was on board. THANK YOU. Travel safely....

how very kind :)

thank you. At Toronto airport. Snowfall warning in our home town. GRRRR.

I am not ready for this and I have to travel to pick up the dogs. double GRRR.

Including Master Marley who is not totally convinced that he should get in the car.

He's fine once he gets in and loves the ride, but getting him in is a challenge. He is still growing and weighs around 115 pounds.

Poor guy, we started new training based on "touch" and other stuff and when I get him home he is going in full training mode. Kazu is not tolerant enough to try to keep lifting this guy in the car.

Whenever you see me say GRRR it is dog related. We have three ;)

Jacqui,

Thanks for the time, effort, and money you put into writing your "Live" report. I enjoyed reading your comparisons which I thought were quite fair. No cruise is perfect for every passenger and mentioning any "less than great" experiences is not being negative.

I agree. Your pictures and words convinced me that I need to try Oceania, and be prepared for the types of things you experienced. I am a glass is half full kind of gal, so I like to think I am not unreasonable. :D. Perhaps I will try a closer-to-home cruise, with lots of ports. That might be a great way to dip my toe into the Oceania pool.

But your pictures of the ship and the food;) have convinced me that I need to try one!

Thank you again for your dedication to this thread.

Ann

I agree. Your pictures and words convinced me that I need to try Oceania, and be prepared for the types of things you experienced.

Thank you again for your dedication to this thread.

Ann

There are some deals on sailings from MIami

shop around some deals out there which bring the prices down & of course they take off the air if you do not need it so that brings it down further

It may not be HAL pricing but worth trying O & deciding for yourself

One person's value may not be the same as yours

We want to add or thanks, Kazu: the time and effort you put into your posting, while on your vacation, is truly appreciated! Having followed your posts on HAL over the years, we know you were giving your honest impressions and we gained some valuable insight into O. (One of the differences we'll now know to expect will be disembarkation: on HAL, NS passengers could use the Lounge or Pinnacle Grill to wait and disembark at leisure...since the "R" Class ships do not have a Suite Lounge, we'll be better prepared for the process.)

So sorry about the Noro outbreak and missing Bermuda! That's always disappointing...several years ago, our Queen Victoria sailing was scheduled to dock in Charleston during Garden Week and, at our suggestion, several on our Roll Call purchased costly (unrefundable) tickets to a garden/house event. Then Cunard abruptly cancelled Charleston and substituted Nassau!

Just FYI: our last (long) cruise on Eurodam had a Noro outbreak during the early TA portion. While I agree that HAL takes strong precautions for the first 48 hours of each sailing, they were not communicative with passengers AT ALL about this particular outbreak despite the obvious illness of many and crew as well. (It would have been impossible to overlook the hundreds of room service orders of tea and toast for 3-4 days!) Because so many who are ill are selfish enough to not report or stay in their cabins, we took the precaution of "hibernating" for a couple of days to avoid becoming ill, washing our hands constantly!

We'll post our own first impressions of O in September...thanks to your generosity in sharing, we have fairly realistic expectations but are very excited about the voyage! The differences may be more striking to us on an "R" Class ship as this will be the smallest vessel we've been on, which is one of the reasons we selected it.

Welcome home and Happy Holidays!

There are some deals on sailings from MIami

shop around some deals out there which bring the prices down & of course they take off the air if you do not need it so that brings it down further

It may not be HAL pricing but worth trying O & deciding for yourself

One person's value may not be the same as yours

Thank you. I would agree that something out of Miami might be a good place to start. I was hoping they might have a Panama Canal cruise, but couldn't find one. Perhaps I could find a segment on a longer cruise.

I agree that people's opinions vary. That is the joy of this forum. :)

Thank you. I would agree that something out of Miami might be a good place to start. I was hoping they might have a Panama Canal cruise, but couldn't find one. Perhaps I could find a segment on a longer cruise.

I agree that people's opinions vary. That is the joy of this forum. :)

They have a few panama cruise in 2016

the one Dec 19th is booked

LA to Miami Jan 4th, Jun 15 nov 25th

Miami to SFO Apr 24

SFO to NYC Aug 31

They have a few panama cruise in 2016

the one Dec 19th is booked

LA to Miami Jan 4th, Jun 15 nov 25th

Miami to SFO Apr 24

SFO to NYC Aug 31

My TA did not list these on their website. Silly me to assume it was a comprehensive list. Off to O's website to see what I can find. Thank you for taking the trouble to do this.

Thank you SO MUCH for your review. I loved the pictures from countries I won't ever be able to visit. And thank you for showing/telling us about O. I am a more for less person so won't be cruising with them because of the costs. Thank you again.

Edited by summer slope

I just realized I neglected to post something that several on board asked me to.

Washrooms - there is no button in the public ones - especially at the pool for those with physical challenges to push to get the door to open. so, they have to ask someone to open the door for them in some cases.

One person got trapped insdie as he could not open the door.

Several commented that a new ship should have this for those that need it.

I did bring home my Currents os, if people are interested I can post the entertainers tomorrow.

And if there is anything else people are interested in, just let me know.

We had Sergy at the piano in Martinis every night.

Ocean Strings Quartet performed in the Grand Bar

Riviera Orchestra had performances in Horizons

Our enrichment lecturers were Kathleen M Wulf & Graham Anthony.

Shows on board in the Riviera Lounge:

- Variety Entertainer Ray Michaels

- Riviera Production cast in Lights, Camera, Music, the Look of Love, Entertainment, World Beat

- Comedy of Noodles Levenstein (along with a pre-show performance as well)

- Tenor/Instrumentalist Ugo Paliotto

- David Copperfield (not the illusionist but the Unusualist)

- vocal entertainer Paul Edison & a repeat performance by him

- pianist Sergy Nikityuk

- Evening Cabaret - musical theater with Rebecca Futterman

Late night performances in Horizons:

- Song Stylist - Sean McGee

- Olympic Duo in Save the Last Dance for me, Dance club classics, Let's Face the Music and Dance

- Elizabeth Hake performing Standard & Jazz favourites

- Blast from the Past with Riviera Orchestra

- Dance Party with Entertainment Team, assistant Cruise Director

- Song Stylist Eric Potter

- Latin Night with Olympic Duo & Entertainment Team & Dance Party

- Vocalist Edward Gartj

- Karaoke

- Steel Pan musician Robert Symons