2 annoyed youngsters

people seem really up in arms about this. it was 2 slides, and they werent very good. still plenty of deck and pool space for kids to enjoy as well as the clubs. the Star is a great ship, and hte pics of saw of the refurb look amazing.

While I know ports can change at NCL's discretion, and nothing you can do about it...I wonder if a ship feature can change and you're stuck with it as well? This isn't like missing GSC due to rough waters. It's a feature of the ship that is advertised. I wonder if you could cancel because of this and not be penalized.

While I know ports can change at NCL's discretion, and nothing you can do about it...I wonder if a ship feature can change and you're stuck with it as well? This isn't like missing GSC due to rough waters. It's a feature of the ship that is advertised. I wonder if you could cancel because of this and not be penalized.

No. No chance.

Those yellow water slides were absolutely terrible. My kids tried them about twice and were disappointed and frustrated. You really aren't missing anything but disappointed kids. Take your kids to a swimming pool with a water slide before you leave. I assure you any waterslide will be more fun than those slow, get stuck, yellow slides. They sucked even when they were brand new. I remember probably 10 years ago when NCL made a big effort to fix the slides, that didn't work either. They really need to go.

I agree, they were carp slides. We have cruised frequently on the Star since we're on the west coast. I've hardly ever seen anyone on them and when I have, they've always look disappointed. Some of them comically so, looking back at the slide after making it off the thing, with a look on there faces of either "that's it?" or "what the heck was that?".

Norwegian star getting rid of water slides without letting us know before booking August 5th cruise. Anyone else think it’s not good customer service

I heard that NCL was replacing the (2) large water slides with a more "compact" go-kart style race track... its supposed to be a much smaller track then on the new "Bliss" and only have about 3 individual go-karts available...an NCL insider alerted me that in order to accommodate the large amount of interest in the go-karts that they will impose a $9.95 "Per Lap" charge that can be charged to your room. NCL figures that the average passenger will take about 5 laps on the shortened track...they also hinted about a "toll" that can be added to the track that the passengers can pay while driving to mimic "real life " driving conditions...I think the toll amount will only be an additional $1.25 per lap..which is actually pretty cheap considering you are at sea..

Best,

Mark

In another thread (I can't remember which one because there are several about the Star right now) said it was changing into a Spice 2o feature for adults., nothing about a Kart Track

I believe that was an attempt at humor. :confused:

A few years ago they did this on the Pearl before we sailed her. I also had a disappointed kiddo. Once she got on the ship all was forgotten about the missing dumb slide... she lived in dolphins kids club (she is an introvert, so this was a surprise to us) and we barely saw her. I wouldn’t worry about the slide being gone a bit.

The kids club on the star was great. The pool area was nothing special, especially from 12-2 and 5-7 when it was an overcrowded mess because the kids clubs were closed for lunch and dinner breaks. We were happy with our cruise on the star, but only because we chose the cruise for the itinerary (baltics). With or without the unimpressive slides, I wouldn’t recommend this ship for a family unless you are primarily sailing it for the ports (like alaska or Europe). But hopefully your kids are at a good age for the kids club, since my son loved all their activities and we had to drag him out of there.

If it's not there...it's not there....what are you gonna do? You could switch to a different ship, with slides....or just tell the kids that, "Oh, well, that's life! You can't always get what you want!" They will deal with it!

If it's not there...it's not there....what are you gonna do? You could switch to a different ship, with slides....or just tell the kids that, "Oh, well, that's life! You can't always get what you want!" They will deal with it!

That's just what I was thinking....

Did you not get an email from NCL? We got one the other day saying the slides were going away and our cruise isn't until October 2019. I do agree with the other posters though, the slides are horrible. Both my son and I stopped halfway down and had to scoot the rest of the way down. Wasn't fun at all. I'm sorry your kiddos are disappointed. :(

Norwegian star getting rid of water slides without letting us know before booking August 5th cruise. Anyone else think it’s not good customer service

Sorry. I don’t think that you are on the approval chain for ship modification. It is actually a great decision for something that got minimal usage. There is no requirement to get your approval or notify you of all of the changes in dry dock. So there is no customer service issue.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure why some are mocking you for being disappointed. Seems reasonable to me that your kids would be a little upset that something they thought was onboard will no longer be there. You didn't say they were distraught or that you were canceling! An email saying something akin to, "We're removing the slides but there are still plenty of fun things for you to do on board," would have been appropriate. My kids were disappointed that the Pearl has no slides until I reminded them that we will be in Alaska and they probably wouldn't want to swim outside anyway.

I can understand kids being upset at no slides. I just googled and saw the slides on the Star. Not the most exciting water slides IMHO. I saw many people getting stuck on them too. Very basic slides that toddlers can ride. Maybe they are confusing these slides with waterslides that are on newer ships? The Star slides would be in the baby pools today.

Just read your post in another thread … your kids are 15 and 13.

Please lighten up … it's best that those crappy slides are gone as they are NOWHERE like the slides on the newest ships!

Those old slides were more suitable for youngsters much younger than teens, and even they get stuck in them and needed to walk down to the end.

Here are the photos of the old slides.

Anyway, try to ENJOY the cruise!

DSCN9060.JPG.0b393588b1c34df739535b8ec79feb7e.JPG

DSCN9058.JPG.725ea7ef447c5adeae29bea25649dcaf.JPG

I don't understand the concern. I doubt anyone would book a cruise based on slides for the kids to enjoy? Sorry, there are issues that should be brought to everyone's attention and times when good customer service is not practiced, but to think something like this needs to be brought to the attention of people booking a reservation is expecting too much. If the decision was made after your final payment date what difference would it have made? Kids can adjust just fine especially when hey are not even young kids. You are making a little too much out of this.