Freedom of the Seas...Really that bad?

In a good way? We love S, Caribbeans and were strongly considering it. We mostly eat at Windjammer as we have a very picky eater child who loves his Alfredo penne pasta. Enchantment didn't have a pasta station/or option to order this at MDR.

Depends what you are looking for, "good" means different things to different people. There are more bells & whistles on Freedom, and also more guests. Freedom also has more specialty restaurants. Enchantment has a bungee trampoline, huge main pool deck, and a huge Boleros lounge.

Bob that is a round trip fair for just myself. the choices are limited coming out of Palm Springs without getting into 6 + hrs of layover. I could get a Non stop going over out of LAX + R/T shuttle of $500 brings that back up to $900 so better off to look for a flight out of PSP & back for the convenience of flying from home

Gay

I do not think you should worry one drop!We have been on every class but Quantum, and have never had a bad cruise! Sure there might be a few minor annoyances or things noticed, but nothing that would ever ruin a cruise for us! I think it depends on who you are and whether the small stuff really affects you, or not.

***If you work for a cruise line and happen to read this, please start offering a decent Eastern Caribbean itinerary from Miami. Short stops on islands an 3 ports for 7 night cruises don't cut it in my opinion!! ***

Physics and cost kinda get in the way of that, unless you want to resurrect the SS United States.

Bob my best finding is PSP to JFK Non Stop ( Jet blue ) arriving in SJU at 2:20 PM, Return on United at 1:25 PM via EWR arriving in PSP 10:12 PM for $826.12 R/T for 1 person All layover times not exceeding 2 1/2 hours.

Gay

Nothing reasonable out of Ontario?

Bob, Ontario wouldn't make that much difference being a little over 60 miles from me, however. I think right now my best option would be PSP via Newark & back. for $868 R/T, I could come home via DFW or Houston also. A Houston return would be Depart SJU 11:30 AM arrive in IAH 4:18 PM, Depart IAH 6:05 PM arrive in PSP 7:46 PM. After reading reviews on Jet Blue I am not sure I would want to fly with them. Keep myself with AA, United or Delta. United has a non stop flight to EWR

Gay

Bob, Ontario wouldn't make that much difference being a little over 60 miles from me, however. I think right now my best option would be PSP via Newark & back. for $868 R/T, I could come home via DFW or Houston also. A Houston return would be Depart SJU 11:30 AM arrive in IAH 4:18 PM, Depart IAH 6:05 PM arrive in PSP 7:46 PM. After reading reviews on Jet Blue I am not sure I would want to fly with them. Keep myself with AA, United or Delta. United has a non stop flight to EWR

Gay

Well, 60 miles doesn't seem that bad to us, we usually drive 100 miles to the airport. However, it does seem that PSP gives you the best flights right now.

I did check Ontario, no difference in the flights both would get me back around 10 PM except from Ontario I then have another 1 1/2 hr drive home so might as well come into Palm Springs. :) other then spending a night Post cruise, then I could get in earlier but then have additional hotel cost so will plan to leave after cruise. I can go through Newark and back as I said for the $867.80. Will just watch the prices when we get to that point and go from there, at least i have an idea on what I am looking at. While we might fly cheaper out of LAX, the added cost of a Hotel, shuttle, or 1 way car rental eats up the difference for the convenience to fly out of PSP and home again.

Gay

Gay

Gay, I agree with you on the flight out of PSP. No reason for you to drive by yourself from Ontario. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that when the flights open for purchase you'll get exactly what will work out best for you and I see that hopefully being from PSP....so much easier for you.

I'm also an AA or DL flyer and I have usually found best price a few weeks after bookings open.

Best of luck...I know you'll let us know what you end up getting.

I did check Ontario, no difference in the flights both would get me back around 10 PM except from Ontario I then have another 1 1/2 hr drive home so might as well come into Palm Springs. :) other then spending a night Post cruise, then I could get in earlier but then have additional hotel cost so will plan to leave after cruise. I can go through Newark and back as I said for the $867.80. Will just watch the prices when we get to that point and go from there, at least i have an idea on what I am looking at. While we might fly cheaper out of LAX, the added cost of a Hotel, shuttle, or 1 way car rental eats up the difference for the convenience to fly out of PSP and home again.

Gay

I would not even consider LAX from your location. Way too much traffic for a very long drive.

After reading reviews on Jet Blue I am not sure I would want to fly with them.

Have you ever considered that some of those reviews are like the negative ones here at CC?

Biker, who flies JB almost monthly, has had no issues and enjoys post whoring at 35,000 ft with JB's free internet.

We've done Freedom twice already and heading out again in November of this year. Great ship, nice size and lot's of things to do. Have never had an issue with any staff members or service. My only complaint is that I didn't think to book a B2B:eek:

Biker I do like the fact that I can use JB non stop from here. They just came in last year offering the non stop and I understand it is very popular. I will leave my options open so when the time comes the daughter & I will work out the best flights for the both of us. She leaves from Denver. Regardless of the flights we are both looking forward to the Southern Caribbean. This will be her first time on a Freedom Class and know she will enjoy it as much as I will.

Ashland best of luck to you with your flight and trip.:)

Gay

We were on Freedom last Thanksgiving (aft cabin) and enjoyed her very much! Not a single complaint!! We would love to go back! Please don't let a couple of bad apples deter you.

I'm laughing reading this thread, though, because we have a quick 3-nighter coming up on Enchantment, which sounds like it will be a much different story! lol But this is going to be a rest and relaxation weekend after a stress-filled summer, so I expect to be sleeping on the balcony for 3 days straight! Hopefully any shortcomings on EOS won't be too annoying for us. :) If they are, we have Oasis to look forward to the following month. ;)

Hope you decide to book the Freedom! You'll have a great time!

We sailed on the FOS back in 2014 but, also sailed on her sister ship, the Indy twice last year on a B2B. Our FOS cruise was our first on RCI after exclusively sailing on Carnival. WE LOVED IT. FOS will always be one of our favorites.

I was just on freedom in April. Before my cruise I read every review & post about how bad freedom was. That there was garbage laying around and nobody was picking it up. The food was terrible. The entertainment was bad. You name it people complained about it. I was so upset. Thought about changing ships.

Called royal and asked them if they had people reading these boards, because the reviews were so bad. They told me they do. And that I was very concerned. Someone called me back and we spoke about all the things I have been reading. They gave me there extension Incase I had a problem on the ship. Told me they didn’t understand where these reviews were coming from. They do the guest surveys and they didnt know why there were so many complaints. They had received excellent reviews through the survey.

When we boarded freedom it was in great condition. People working all over the ship. The food was excellent. Ate in the dining room every night. I didn’t see anything like people were describing. I had been on the freedom 3 years before and loved it. It didn’t disappoint.

I have learned my lesson and just go with an open mind. I don’t read the reviews anymore.

I hope you have a great time.

• Like 1

I'd be OK with a noon flight.

Agreed, I'd be happy to get a noon flight, the earliest we have been able to get is 5 or 6 pm. Walking around San Juan for the day is not the worst way to end a vacation though.

Just did a b2b on Freedom July 7-21. The no drinking in pool was the only thing we didn’t care for. Loved the ship, the crew, and Kelly the piano player in the schooner bar. Is she glitzy like Harmony - no. But the itinerary was fabulous for the 2 weeks. Capt. Bustos was great keeping us up to date on our travels. Promenade cabin was fine and deck 2 cabin I felt no motion at all. Loved that. I am pretty easy to please though. I didn’t feel the ship was run down at all and crew was always polishing, dusting, varnishing, etc.

Barbara

Did they allow drinking in the hot tubs? TIA:D

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 8/4/2018 at 8:40 PM, Biker19 said:

Physics and cost kinda get in the way of that, unless you want to resurrect the SS United States.

Not true. The itinerary port selections could be better if the cruise lines wanted them to be better from Miami on 7 and 8 night sailings. Cost may be a factor but physics would not be a factor. 

Also at the time I booked this, there were some recently posted poor reviews on the Freedom.  I wish that people would not insinuate that I "made up" the fact that I read poor reviews (again at the time I booked).

Genuine thanks to all the constructive replies that I did receive.  My family is all looking forward to the trip. 

Edited by Spike2000