Recent western carribbean getaway sailors question.....

pugsammy

I want to be on the port side when docked....and I know that it just "depends"...can you tell me if your balcony was on port side or starboard when you were on port side when docked??

I know...seems like a silly question but I booked port side on my last cruise and never was there when docked....

Thanks!

I want to be on the port side when docked....and I know that it just "depends"...can you tell me if your balcony was on port side or starboard when you were on port side when docked??

I know...seems like a silly question but I booked port side on my last cruise and never was there when docked....

Thanks!

Last week, it was mostly port side to the dock. The side of the ship docked is dependent upon maintenance and safety drill requirements of the ship.

You do know that depending on weather/wind conditions, a ship may back in or pull in nose first. My suggestion, go with another couple and have them get a balcony opposite side of yours.........and then you can switch.......cabins, not significant others....... LOL

• Like 1

on my sailing which was July 29-Aug 5 we had a port side room. Our balcony faced the port every day. However, we were blocked by the MSC ship in Costa Maya and Cozumel so we could only see into their ship vs the port. In Harvest Cay we could only see the mangroves because our room was fwd and the main part of the island was aft. Roatan was the best view. But like everyone says, it totally depends on the week.

on my sailing which was July 29-Aug 5 we had a port side room. Our balcony faced the port every day. However, we were blocked by the MSC ship in Costa Maya and Cozumel so we could only see into their ship vs the port. In Harvest Cay we could only see the mangroves because our room was fwd and the main part of the island was aft. Roatan was the best view. But like everyone says, it totally depends on the week.

We are in a starboard penthouse on our upcoming cruise, so this is good news for me. I would much rather be looking at the ocean than other old people like me running down the dock in their bathing suits! ;p

Thanks!

Having been on the Getaway three different times, I can tell you that some ports one side faces shore, in another port a different side faces port. There is no way to tell which way you will be. The one constant that I have seen that in Roatan the port side of the ship is usually facing the dock.

I always get mixed up with the directions! Do all the beds on the cruise ship face towards the front of the ship?
It depends on whether you are lying on your back or front.
Is the bathroom always on the same side of the room as the bed?
Yes. Except when it isn't.
  • Like 1

It depends on whether you are lying on your back or front.

Yes. Except when it isn't.[/color][/font]

I don’t really need the sarcasm. I’m trying to visualize the room that I will have on my upcoming cruise. I would appreciate an answer to my original question. Is the bed going to be on my right as I walk into the room or on my left. And also whether the bathroom is on the same side of the room as the bed or not. My room is on the starboard side of the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don’t really need the sarcasm. I’m trying to visualize the room that I will have on my upcoming cruise. I would appreciate an answer to my original question. Is the bed going to be on my right as I walk into the room or on my left. And also whether the bathroom is on the same side of the room as the bed or not. My room is on the starboard side of the ship.

Best thing to do is google "NCL [ship name] [cabin number]". I have found many pictures and even a few videos pf my cabin. Very helpful.

It depends on the cabin category and specific cabin, there is no one answer. You can check out NCL's website but it will only give you an idea of the layout, not the exact one.

(I'm not trying to be sarcastic) I didn't find that you listed ship/room #/category.

I can understand that you might not want to publish that info, so, I suggest a search on the internet. A look at the floorplan for that ship might give you the answer to bed/bathroom orientation.

Unfortunately, "PORT" isn't always on the port side when at port!

It's not sarcasm. It was a ridiculous answer to an even more ridiculous question. I'm sorry if you really believed that ALL of the beds on a cruise ship would face the same direction or even that all of the bathrooms would be on the same side of the bedroom. In consideration of the early posts in this thread confusing port and port (much like an Abbott and Costello skit), I thought your question was continuing that ridiculousness theme.

No ill will intended. My mistake.

The beds are not always on the same side of the cabin as you enter the door. In most cabins, but not necessarily the suites, the bathroom is on the same side as the beds.

The beds are not always on the same side of the cabin as you enter the door. In most cabins, but not necessarily the suites, the bathroom is on the same side as the beds.

Thanks for the courteous answer. From my memory I could not remember ever having a room other than in the haven that had the bathroom on the opposite side of the room from the bed but I couldn’t remember for sure.

Another docking consideration is wind and currents. If winds are strong toward the dock, the ship is more likely to dock bow in first so the Captain and Pilot can judge the approach closely from the fly bridge. If things are calm they have the option to back in and slowly tighten up to the dock.

Last year on Breakaway we waited a while before docking in Cozumel and Ocho Rios because of high winds... almost did not call in these ports. And in Grand Cayman we had to use an alternate anchorage on the south side of the island and take buses to Georgetown. The ship actually maintained station with thrusters and did not anchor. We were late in all 3 ports shortening the days!

I always get mixed up with the directions! Do all the beds on the cruise ship face towards the front of the ship? Is the bathroom always on the same side of the room as the bed?

Find a good deck plan for your ship and locate your cabin. Look at the shape of the wall. Wherever you can see the wall gives a little extra width, that is where the bed is. If it is in the middle, then the bed is next to the closet and bathroom. If it's by the balcony, then that's where the bed is and the couch is near the bathroom. example below: 8110's bed is by the balcony, and 8112's bed is near the bathroom. You can also see here that beds may be oriented with the head toward the front or toward the back. You won't feel forward motion. But side to side motion is common. Unfortunately they don't show how the bed will be for interior cabins.

Breakaway8738.jpg