Bringing wine!

Kitten112

I want to bring a bottle of wine on board. Now before anyone goes crazy about why would we want to bring wine with us, this is a special bottle that we planned to open on our anniversary. It was given to us at our wedding by our parents. One of which passed away this year.

So now the question... do I have to pay the uncorking fee in advance and notify them in advance that I am bringing it or do they just charge us at the pier during embarkation? We are staying in an aft haven suite so we will not need glasses.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

At that manned table a representative will apply a little corkage fee paid sticker to your bottle(s) indicating

that the fee has been collected.

If perchance that table is left unmanned or something on that order and you pass go and do not pay the

corkage fee and you take that bottle to a restaurant for service and the absence of the sticker is noted NCL

will collect the fee at that point AND then on the other hand they just might overlook it - it must have fallen

off. If you open and celebrate the occasion in your cabin no one will be concerned about the sticker or fee.

A typical 750ml bottle allows 4 6 ounce or 6 4 ounce servings

Corkage fee 750ml is $15

The magnum is $30

Oh and Happy Anniversary !

I bring bottles of wine on when we sail. The only time there was a table was recently on POA, the security person directed me to it and I paid the corkage fee. Perhaps I have been lucky since when the DH and I have sailed we stayed in a Suite or Haven and never paid a corkage fee. I only bring two bottles to enjoy on the balcony.

Enjoy your anniversary wine and Happy Anniversary.

I want to bring a bottle of wine on board. Now before anyone goes crazy about why would we want to bring wine with us, this is a special bottle that we planned to open on our anniversary. It was given to us at our wedding by our parents. One of which passed away this year. So now the question... do I have to pay the uncorking fee in advance and notify them in advance that I am bringing it or do they just charge us at the pier during embarkation? We are staying in an aft haven suite so we will not need glasses. Thank you!

Keep your bottle in your handcarry. If security directs you to the wine table, then go there and they will charge your on board account the corkage fee. If not, proceed to check-in.

If you are leaving from NYC, immediately after the security screening, the wine table is on the left. In the 10-12 times we've cruised from NY with wine, we've always been directed to the corkage table by the screeners and its always been staffed. It's quick and they are pleasant (a ship employee).

Hope you have a fun time and the weather is perfect!

Edited by suzequ
left words out

My wine story...2 bottles were found in my luggage and had to go to security office to retrieve.Was told of corkage fee!..I'm a rebel...showed them !!! Corkage fee is applied if bottle is brought into a public facility ...Spoke with Bar manager..I'm a rebel..Told them my " cabin " is NOT a public place...ENDED UP WITH A BOTTLE OF WINE & STRAWBERRIES FOR MY TROUBLES...

My wine story...2 bottles were found in my luggage and had to go to security office to retrieve.Was told of corkage fee!..I'm a rebel...showed them !!! Corkage fee is applied if bottle is brought into a public facility ...Spoke with Bar manager..I'm a rebel..Told them my " cabin " is NOT a public place...ENDED UP WITH A BOTTLE OF WINE & STRAWBERRIES FOR MY TROUBLES...

Are you thinking of a different line? That isn't NCL policy.

https://www.ncl.com/faq#alcohol-consumption

to answer your question. That was not the stated policy years ago. only restaurants and public room areas were listed , not staterooms. I believe it was 2012 on the Gem.

Policy of course was updated plus who brings wine on board now with an adult beverage plan anyways.

to answer your question. That was not the stated policy years ago. only restaurants and public room areas were listed , not staterooms. I believe it was 2012 on the Gem.

Policy of course was updated plus who brings wine on board now with an adult beverage plan anyways.

The wine policy in 2012 was the same as it is now. Perhaps your experience was from before then?

Anyway, a 6+ year old story is not particularly relevant to the question being discussed here.

In answer to your final question, the original poster on this thread appears to be bringing wine onboard. It isn’t rare. For wine drinkers who don’t consume large amounts but want to enjoy their favourites it makes a lot of sense over getting the UBP, even as a promo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wine policy in 2012 was the same as it is now. Perhaps your experience was from before then?

Anyway, a 6+ year old story is not particularly relevant to the question being discussed here.

In answer to your final question, the original poster on this thread appears to be bringing wine onboard. It isn’t rare. For wine drinkers who don’t consume large amounts but want to enjoy their favourites it makes a lot of sense over getting the UBP, even as a promo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is very true and with the Viva Vino program wine lovers can save a lot over the ridiculous fees and

gratuities of the UBP.

With 8 bottles of VV wine for about $200 - 2 persons should have more than ample fill for a 7 day cruise.

The 750ml bottles:

6 servings of 4 ounces -

4 servings of 6 ounces -

24 ounces per bottle +/-

You can have the bottles with you in your cabin or NCL can store them in a wine vault for when you need.

AND NO CORKAGE FEES !

We were on the gem in November of 2012!! We do have the ubp for our trip in October. Didn’t try to bring wine then in 2012 but we did have a great time on that ship. (It was our honeymoon we got married the Friday after sandy). Left that following Wednesday out of New York during a nor’easter. We even were upgraded to the haven aft owners suite!!! ( for a small fee)!!! I am a good negotiator!! At least at that time you talked to some one there was no bidding.

Our first NCL cruise was in 2005, $15 corkage fee for each bottle, no limit, nothing has changed.

If one enjoys wine, bringing it on board makes sense, especially since the NCL price for a $15 bottle of wine is about $42.

We don’t drink the hard stuff so no drinking package for us.

I totally agree that if you are knowledgeable about wine you must bring your own or pay the $60+ for a good bottle. I enjoy wine with dinner but I won’t pay $30 for that $3.49 Tisdale or $4.99 pink Zinfandel that you can buy at Walmart. I’ll gladly pay the corkage for a $15-$20 wine that I bring onboard. I brought a case on for our group in Italy last October and the sommelier visited our table nightly to see what we were drinking.

This is very true and with the Viva Vino program wine lovers can save a lot over the ridiculous fees and

gratuities of the UBP.

With 8 bottles of VV wine for about $200 - 2 persons should have more than ample fill for a 7 day cruise.

Thanks for pointing this out! When you consider the corkage on 8 bottles would be $120, spending $200 on Vina Vino would make a lot of sense. You would spend $249 for the gratuities on a free beverage package for two for 7 days. Even if the 20% is added to that $200, you're still at $240 for wine that is actually drinkable.

I wonder if the Viva Vino package is still available. I didn't see on the NCL site any longer. I see a beer and wine beverage package now that is $59 a day.

I’m glad somebody mention Viva Vino. It has been several years since with sailed NCL without an included beverage package, but before that we did use and enjoy Viva Vino. Can anybody confirm if it is currently sold on Getaway? If so, we may buy that rather than toting wine aboard and paying corkage.