On-time metrics

Trueblueky

I can see whether United or Frontier has better on-time average. I can see that SFO is delayed more often than LAX. I can even see that SW 19 from BWI to TPA is on time xx%.

Are there similar published metrics in the cruise industry? For instance, where can I find out that on-time departure at FLL is xx%? On-time return to PC is xx%? Carnival overall is xx on-time%? Arrival from Bahamas is xx%?

I don't know where to access the info you seek, but I can tell you the on time percentage for cruise is far higher than airlines, as typically they don't have the traffic issues planes do, and they can control their travel speed to assure on time arrival.

We assume cruise ships will be on time, given that info. In 21 cruises, can only think of one port where we were more than 5 or so minutes late.

I have no idea if such stats exist (at least in public form across lines) but anecdotally I can say (form reading these boards for years) that an early or late arrival can be due to a medical emergency (rushing to get to port or having spent additional time getting to another port earlier in the itinerary) and much less frequently due to mechanical issues. Departures are never early since too many passengers would be left waiting on the dock. The very few late departures we have experienced have been due to large numbers of passengers traveling by plane (and in many cases having purchased air through the cruise line) with an unexpected late arrival but not too late to impact arrival at the first port. We also had one late departure (by about 2 hours) when the ship had arrived from Europe and Africa into its first US port in months and was subjected to numerous US government inspections that took a few hours (a common experience on ships returning to the US after a season abroad). Boarding of both passengers and supplies was delayed and since it was a 48 day B2B cruise (FLL/Manaus, Brazil/FLL) where a resupply in Manaus wasn't extensive the captain had to ensure that everything was onboard before departing FLL.

I saw a discussion in another thread about when it is safe to book a flight on the day the cruise returns to homeport. It would be valuable for passengers to know that cruiseline X arrives on time 95% of the time, or that it averages 90 minutes late. Otherwise, people are left with anecdotes.

I saw a discussion in another thread about when it is safe to book a flight on the day the cruise returns to homeport. It would be valuable for passengers to know that cruiseline X arrives on time 95% of the time, or that it averages 90 minutes late. Otherwise, people are left with anecdotes.

If you have a specific question about when it is safe to book a flight out of a given port...ask away.

Otherwise, there doesn't seem to be the stats you require.

The anecdotes are that it is a very infrequent occurrence. Lots of time is built into that last night's sailing just so that problem is avoided. Your itinerary will tell you the arrival time and each cruise line will give you a recommendation not to schedule a flight before X o'clock. That allows lots of room for any issues with disembarkation (usually related to customs and border patrol staffing and the fact that every passenger cannot be in the first group to disembark). A cruise line with chronic problems delivering passengers to the disembarkation port on time wouldn't last very long.

I am not aware of OTP metrics for cruise ship departures in the public domain. However, personally I really don't care when the ship departs, really only interested in the arrival time.

Many factors affect a ship's departure, most of which are outwith control of the cruise line - passengers, crew, baggage, stores, bunkers, pilots, tugs (if used), tide, wind, etc. In most cases, the ship can increase speed to maintain the next arrival time.

In my experience, ships are rarely late, especially at TAR ports, but it does happen. Our last cruise was delayed by 8 hrs arriving from the previous cruise. I checked the AIS the previous evening and ETA was ahead of schedule, but Port London Authority closed the river due to wind at 01:00.

While the probability of late arrival is very low, I always wait for at least 1 day after disembarkation before booking flights. No stress.

It is interesting prospect but I too would not worry about it too much. For example, if a particular port has a 100% record for arrival and departure timeliness, it would only take one incident (like a storm, breakdown or terrorism act) to ruin that record.

I can see whether United or Frontier has better on-time average. I can see that SFO is delayed more often than LAX. I can even see that SW 19 from BWI to TPA is on time xx%.

Are there similar published metrics in the cruise industry? For instance, where can I find out that on-time departure at FLL is xx%? On-time return to PC is xx%? Carnival overall is xx on-time%? Arrival from Bahamas is xx%?

I am sure that some wind protected ports have better arrival and departure times than others. Certain ports such as Easter Island and Ushuaia have a high chance of being missed due to weather and ocean conditions. Larger ships have a higher chance of missing a port with a narrow access route than a smaller ship. The captains of ships which regularly ply those routes know it, but I am not sure the information is put into a publicly accessible statistic.

And then, as others have written, there are unforeseen events: medical emergency, plane with a group of arriving passengers is late, returning excursions are late, hurricane …

Wht you will find is that 99.9% of all cruise arrive at least an hour before schedule at their final port for disembarkation.

As others have said...Why worry about departure time? You'll be on the ship enjoying yourself, so it really doesn't matter. It would be foolish to even consider counting on a statistical 'late departure' possibility in deciding when to arrive at your departure port.

Port arrival time is understandably more concerning if you insist on booking a flight within several hours of scheduled 'arrival' time. However, arrival time probably wouldn't be a meaningful statistic, as delays getting off the ship and to your next destination are often due to other factors. Some possible reasons for delay:

. Some ports don't always have enough customs/border/immigration personnel available.

. Difficulty locating all your luggage.

. Long lines for taxis, etc.

. Traffic congestion around the port when multiple ships are in port with thousands of people trying to get off and on at pretty much the same time.

. Delays with traffic at the airport, security lines, etc.

Your main concern seems to be making your return flight. If your use the search function on Cruise Critic, you'll be able to find plenty of reports of people making it to flights just a couple of hours after arrival. You'll find others where people were not so lucky and ended up missing their flights, stressed and/or stranded in an airport trying to make later reservations. What's your risk tolerance/comfort level with the possibly of having to make last minute 'Plan B" arrangements?

Statistically it makes sense to follow the cruise line's recommendations on the earliest flight time. Try Googling "Earliest recommended flight time" with whatever other parameters you want (cruise line, city, etc.) and you'll get plenty of recommendations.

As with other responses to your question, I know of no such metrics. But do note that such metrics would be meaningless. Airlines build extra minutes into their “expected time of arrival” just so that they have an easier target to beat. Ships, similar. “Arrival in Miami at 0700...”? Yeah, right. Their expectation is that they will be there at 0500, the 0700 publicly announced provides wiggle room in case too many pax get too cute trying to leave the instant the ship docks and then get upset with CBG delays.

Some ports are more likely to have actual delays. E.g., Venice and fog. That is knowable if you search for or ask for info about a specific port.

Sydney harbour is such a port where if the ship is not in by an allotted time, it will then have to wait until the morning commuter traffic (ferries) has run, a delay of around 3 hours. Thank fully this doesn't happen too often.