Knee Replacements and metal detectors

JRudy33

I've recently had two knee replacements. I realize I will set off the metal detectors at the airport, but has anyone had trouble getting on and off the ship setting them off? And if they do, is it a hassle?

They will do the same thing that happens at the airport, they will wand you.

If the are titanium they may not set off the metal detectors.

I have rods & screws in my wrist from a basically smashed wrist. I just tell them when I am going through. Some will wand you instead others send you through then wand. Since it is my wrist they can see the huge scar. I also have a letter from my surgeon but have never had to use it.

Edited by rdsxgrl28
spelling

Usually they use a wand.I Tell them I have had replacement. I have a scar, but that makes no difference. very light pat down - by the end of the week not so much, they get to recognize you.

Same treatment as airport, but less severe.

A letter from a surgeon is not a valid piece of paper so they will not look at it. Anyone can produce one of those.

I have NEXUS clearance, but still to through a scanner if they have one at airports,and or a pat down from a security person entering any place with a metal detector - including court houses.

I warn anyone travelling with me so they are not alarmed when it happens.

Be careful of your "stuff" when they pull you aside, that they do not allow anyone to pick up and move it except you - I have asked them to allow me to get my stuff off of the conveyor belt so no one else picks it up - they say it will be ok, yeah right...

If they step aside with you the line keeps moving and anyone can take your day bag, purse - etc.

I have and ICD (pacemaker/defib) and I am sent to the full body scanner in the airport I use. As for the ship, they always have me step aside and do a light pat down. My family was very concerned about how it would be the first cruise we went on after my additional body "hardware" was installed. I've never run into anyone on any ship/port that hasn't been extremely respectful and quick to take care with me and send me on my way. I have a big ol' piece of metal and a scar, but that doesn't mean I get to skip the process. I've gone through the process in ports in the U.S., Caribbean and Europe and it's been painless and easy every time. Don't sweat it.

I have been on 5 cruises since my Knee Replacements. Every time you get back on the ship you will be taken to the side and get the wand even though you know the same people checking. Before I had my wife and she would grab everything on the belt now we both have to get the wand and all our things end up all over the place. I let my wife go first with nothing and after she is finished I put all our things on the x-ray belt so she can grab them before they end up all over.

I have gone on 5 cruises now with my 2 new knees. It has become a joke for me every time I go through ship security. Usually I am in shorts so I point to my knees and the very visible scars. I go through the scanner then "assume the position" for them to wand and or pat me down. It doesn't take long. This last cruise out of New Jersey, I took my scooter, the guys at security before getting on the ship did not seem to happy when I pulled up, they asked if I could walk through the scanner, I told them I could but would only set it off due to my knees. The wanded and patted me down, them seemed more interested in the scooter, even trying to lift up one side to enable them to see under it. they even wiped it down with a little pad, I assume it was some sort of a test for drug residue.....

I have an ankle replacement and I have never set off metal detectors at the airport or to get on ships. Maybe its because of titanium but I don't know what they are made of. I have had more trouble cause by my belt. I have stopped worrying about it.

Easy peazy. I just tell them it’s my right knee. I walk through... it beeps... they quickly wand my right knee and I’m on my way.

A good point made earlier though is have you spouse take anything else through. That way she has grabbed all the stuff when you’re done getting Wanded.

If it’s the same folks scanning in all week, it gets easier as the cruise goes.

My daughters go ahead of me and grab my purse, etc for me while I get a very respectful pat down.Happens to me at every airport, port and at municipalities I've visited. Incidentally, for those in wheelchairs/scooters, I worked at a government agency and we had several incidences where a person in a wheelchair/scooter had a weapon concealed under them in the wheelchair.We were very grateful that our security officers were thorough and found these weapons. I've traveled with my elderly parents in the past and had to explain why they should STOP arguing with security and to not be offended that they are asked to stand or that they carefully examine the wheelchair. Please try to understand why they are required to do this and why we should WANT them to do this.

I had two hip replacements, I get wanded every time I return to the ship. I once asked why they do it long into the cruise. They said it's protocol.

Since someone could decide to try to smuggle something, maybe even a weapon, onto the ship on the last port day? I'fd rather they be cautious for everyone's safety than slightly inconvenience one person. The security personnel may or may not remember you from previous port re-entries.

I have titaniun rods and screws holding my spine together and a full chromium/cobalt hip replacement. At airports I prefer the full body scanner to the metal detector since the scanner is so quick and effective. Most times I don't even need a wanding. At the cruise terminal, I find the metal detectors there are set higher than the ones used on the ship for re-boarding.

I usually thank the TSA or cruise terminal employees for helping to keep us safe even if I am delayed a minute or so by their protocol.

Airports has been a hassle, mostly in the US. Europe is much better. Often I have to wait little while for a pat down and have occasionally wondered if we should have become engaged first or at least dinner first. My husband always goes first to take care of my stuff and that has never been a problem. It could get stolen, as its hard to keep an eye on.

Ship security is easy. Kind, fast and friendly and maybe a wand

Sandra

I've recently had two knee replacements. I realize I will set off the metal detectors at the airport, but has anyone had trouble getting on and off the ship setting them off? And if they do, is it a hassle?

I have plates and screws in both my wrists since 2009. Surgeons office gave me a card to carry. I’ve never had a problem or showed the card. You’ll be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had two hip replacements, I get wanded every time I return to the ship. I once asked why they do it long into the cruise. They said it's protocol.

I had the same experience on a 25 day cruise following replacement of my 2 hips last summer. The scary thing was that once the alarm didn't go off! I informed security that their machine was on the fritz but they didn't seem all that concerned.

I usually thank the TSA or cruise terminal employees for helping to keep us safe even if I am delayed a minute or so by their protocol.

Even though I'm not usually delayed, I thank them as well. I also thank bathroom attendants for keeping the bathroom clean, or quietly point out an area that might need immediate attention.

My knee always sets off the metal detectors, and I always get wanded . But I've never had just my knee wanded . It's always been a once all over (and usually beeping to reveal the underwires in my bra . :rolleyes:

You're probably right. They likely wand more than my knee but that's what beeps and I don't pay attention to the rest.

When you go through the "hands in the air" machine at the airport, it actually does indicate on a screen, to the TSA, where on your body the metal is. In those cases, all they do is wand my knee.

Finally, I go braless on cruises. :D:D

I have plates and screws in both my wrists since 2009. Surgeons office gave me a card to carry. I’ve never had a problem or showed the card. You’ll be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You probably never "had to show the card" to security because they know "cards" are worthless. Any 6 yr old can make one that looks halfway legit.

Imagine the outrage if someone bypasses security by showing a "Card" while they are concealing a bomb or weapon?

My knee always sets off the metal detectors, and I always get wanded . But I've never had just my knee wanded . It's always been a once all over (and usually beeping to reveal the underwires in my bra . :rolleyes:

With a regular metal detector, security doesn't know where the metal is located, and if they only wand a knee, they might allow a weapon or bomb concealed elsewhere on the body through the checkpoint.

A full body scanner will show security a particular location where metal was detected on a person.