Dress code on the Oosterdam

Telkwa Nana

That will always be true, but the trend is definitely in the LCD direction.

I will second my good friend Taxman and add a bit to it. Some people do not want to be underdressed. We on cruise critic should be careful to report what is happening now, not lead people to believe in a "direction" for the future based on your own preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

... not lead people to believe in a "direction" for the future based on your own preference.
I didn't state my preference. I simply stated what I have observed over the past few years: the direction is definitely downward.

I will second my good friend Taxman and add a bit to it. Some people do not want to be underdressed. We on cruise critic should be careful to report what is happening now, not lead people to believe in a "direction" for the future based on your own preference.

I've noticed that the "live reports" or "here's what I saw posts" can often be quite biased and reflect the OP's own preference.

Once you get to know and recognize the frequent posters, you soon find out that those who prefer a more casual style rarely see more than a few tuxedos on their cruise while those that prefer a more formal style often see 25% to 30% tuxedos. On the same cruise??? I have long ago concluded that people see what they want to see ;)

... those who prefer a more casual style rarely see more than a few tuxedos on their cruise while those that prefer a more formal style often see 25% to 30% tuxedos. On the same cruise???
Sure, if one observer dines early in Open and the second dines late in Fixed. It could also depend on where their respective tables are located. Someone in a remote corner will only see tables nearby or what they see walking in and out, while someone on an aisle will see a better cross section.

Sure, if one observer dines early in Open and the second dines late in Fixed. It could also depend on where their respective tables are located. Someone in a remote corner will only see tables nearby or what they see walking in and out, while someone on an aisle will see a better cross section.

The problem is that people very rarely, if ever, qualify their posts with this type of information ... leaving people to assume that their comments apply to the entire ship !

Not everyone on board wishes to dress to the lowest common denominator. Fortunately, there are still people who appreciate the finer things and are not afraid to demonstrate it. ;)

The current Gala Night guidelines balance the desires of those who wish to demonstrate "the finer things" without imposing on others who have different ideas of what constitutes "the finer things".

• Like 1

I've noticed that the "live reports" or "here's what I saw posts" can often be quite biased and reflect the OP's own preference.

Once you get to know and recognize the frequent posters, you soon find out that those who prefer a more casual style rarely see more than a few tuxedos on their cruise while those that prefer a more formal style often see 25% to 30% tuxedos. On the same cruise??? I have long ago concluded that people see what they want to see ;)

I have noticed this also. I have also noticed that most of the all too frequent dress code threads are usually taken over by those posters who choose not to follow the dress code - namely, those who wish to overdress and to persuade others to do so. The irony is that many times, these same posters who refuse to follow the dress code are criticizing those who under dress for not following the dress code. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I have noticed this also. I have also noticed that most of the all too frequent dress code threads are usually taken over by those posters who choose not to follow the dress code - namely, those who wish to overdress and to persuade others to do so. The irony is that many times, these same posters who refuse to follow the dress code are criticizing those who under dress for not following the dress code. :rolleyes:

"Overdressing" is not following the dress code?

I am starting to think we live in some alternate universe

"Overdressing" is not following the dress code?

I am starting to think we live in some alternate universe

Overdressing is just as inappropriate as underdressing.

On Gala night it would be difficult to overdress, but not impossible. I have never seen anyone overdressed on a Gala, or previously on a formal, night. Nor have I ever read a post on this board advocating that people dress in such a fashion on that night.

It is easy to overdress on a Smart Casual night, and I have seen posts advocating such. However, those posts have been from people who seem to prefer a lower standard of dress all the time. The suggestion being that anyone can dress up any evening they want to, and there's nothing to stop them from doing so.

Overdressing is a violation of the dress code???? The dress code is the MINIMUM standard!

Minimum standard? I don't see the term "minimum" used anywhere in the standard: http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Cruise+Preparation&contentMenu=Baggage,+Packing+%26+Dress+Code&contentSubMenu=Is+There+A+Dress+Code?&WT.ac=PopTop_Dress.

I do see the term, "required" used in the descriptor of Gala Nights, in the sentence, "For Gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required...".

And I also see the term, "preferred" used, in the sentence, "Jacket and tie is the preferred attire...on all Gala Nights...though it is not required."

Of course, it isn't required as HAL has made clear that collared shirts and slacks are required.

No where though do I see the term "minimum".

And yes, over-dressing is as much a social faux pas as under dressing is. Some people will feel just as uncomfortable dining with someone who is over dressed as they would with someone who is under dressed. Inappropriate attire is still inappropriate.

• Like 1

I have never seen anyone overdressed on a Gala night. Some wear tuxes or long dresses, skirts, etc. Some wear suits, some sportsjackets and some a collared shirt. All of that attire is within HAL's guidelines. I don't see how anyone is "overdressed".

The type of attire and the mix you see depends upon the demographics of the passengers on board, the time you are dining, the type of cruise, etc.

And, I have never seen fashion police on board either ;)

The current Gala Night guidelines balance the desires of those who wish to demonstrate "the finer things" without imposing on others who have different ideas of what constitutes "the finer things".

Exactly.

An observation: it seems that some of the fashion police on the HAL threads (yes, they are very easy to spot) focus "appropriate dress" for gala night and "finer things" and "making an effort" on the clothes. What about ill-fitting clothes? Someone who has worn the same tux or gown for 20 years may or may still have the body appropriate for that outerwear. Or is just the fact that they are wearing the clothes you deem OK enough? I've seen plenty of men and women on my cruises wearing "finery" that should have been mercifully retired years ago ;)

What about accessories? A woman may have on a plain pant and shirt, perfectly acceptable under HAL guidelines. You may sniff at her because she "did not make an effort", etc. But, did you notice the accessories? They could be far nicer and better quality than what someone is wearing that was purchased from the local discount store. Some prefer to put their money into accessories, discrete and tasteful, not gaudy or out to make a statement.

Just saying. I'd rather have my John Hardy bracelets and earrings and my simple Tahitian pearl on a simple necklace on Gala Night than anything - they make me feel special, regardless of the clothes I am wearing.

An observation: it seems that some of the fashion police on the HAL threads (yes, they are very easy to spot) focus "appropriate dress" for gala night and "finer things" and "making an effort" on the clothes. What about ill-fitting clothes? Someone who has worn the same tux or gown for 20 years may or may still have the body appropriate for that outerwear. Or is just the fact that they are wearing the clothes you deem OK enough? I've seen plenty of men and women on my cruises wearing "finery" that should have been mercifully retired years ago ;)

What about accessories? A woman may have on a plain pant and shirt, perfectly acceptable under HAL guidelines. You may sniff at her because she "did not make an effort", etc. But, did you notice the accessories? They could be far nicer and better quality than what someone is wearing that was purchased from the local discount store. Some prefer to put their money into accessories, discrete and tasteful, not gaudy or out to make a statement.

Just saying. I'd rather have my John Hardy bracelets and earrings and my simple Tahitian pearl on a simple necklace on Gala Night than anything - they make me feel special, regardless of the clothes I am wearing.

Agree in principle with what you are saying but need to add that I have never associated ill-fitting clothes or a 20-year old tuxedo or gown with the terms "appropriate dress" or "finer things" or "making an effort" ... just saying.

Agree in principle with what you are saying but need to add that I have never associated ill-fitting clothes or a 20-year old tuxedo or gown with the terms "appropriate dress" or "finer things" or "making an effort" ... just saying.

Those who say "my DH still takes his tux" - has it been altered to fit his changing body type? Has it been updated to reflect the current tux trends, or is it still from years gone by? Just because someone "dresses up" does not, by default, mean they are appropriately attired. I mean, I can put on the classic black velvet formal dress I bought back in 2001 to wear at a Titanic re-creation dinner, but it would horribly bad on me right now, since I'm 50 lbs lighter and years older. A gentleman could still have that powder blue tuxedo he bought for his wedding :eek:

• 9 months later...
Sailing in a few days and I’m second guessing what I’m packing for the MDR. Are linen capris with a short sleeved shirt ok? This is a Panama Canal transit and it will be hot, so I’m not excited about long pants. I don’t want to be stuck with no pant in my suitcase.

The capris and top would be all right on a smart casual night; not so much on a Gala night.

In a hot climate, perhaps a flowing skirt would feel cooler? Although inside at night is a comfortable temperature.

The capris and top would be all right on a smart casual night; not so much on a Gala night.

In a hot climate, perhaps a flowing skirt would feel cooler? Although inside at night is a comfortable temperature.

Thank you. Yes, I forgot to clarify I was referring to smart casual nights, not Gala nights.

We just returned from Oosterdam. We ate dinner every night in the dining room including two Gala nights. The first night I wore a dark suit and tie and my wife wore an evening gown. We saw only one man in a tux. Many men had on suits and jackets, but there were also an equal number with just slacks and a collared shirt. The next Gala evening we both dressed down. Formal wear is dead on HAL and I suppose other ships in its class. We'll wait for our QM2 cruise to bring out the formal wear again.

Retirement is grand but I don't feel I have to do away completely with nice clothes. I do find the occasional wedding, dressy fundraiser and funeral I need to attend and wear the appropriate attire. I don't understand those who think a cruise means don't care about your appearance. yes it is vacation and you should dress as you like but if there is a code on certain nights or in certain venues follow it....

• 5 months later...
Dressing for dinner is not 'enjoyable' so let's not.

The trouble is, the lower the standards are, they fall lower each time.

We got off the Westerdam today and virtually anything was acceptable in the MDR and Pinnacle.

Rubber boots, wooly hats, any old shirt or pants that had been worn all day. Same attire in the bars and shows. Some people had class and wore something nice in the evenings and a few made a lot of effort.

Sandra