How many specialty restaurants should we try on NCL Gem??

annabug

Hi Everyone!

We will be on the Gem this June!! So excited! It will be myself, DH, and 2 children, 13 and 9.

We most recently sailed on the Breakaway. We tried Cagneys, Teppanyaki, Moderno.

I was going to do the same 3, and possible ad in La Cucina?

Has anyone tried these places, any thoughts advice or food pics please!!!!

Thank you!!!!!!!

I'd take Le Bistro over Cucina personally. We kinda rotate around between Cagneys, Moderno, Le Bistro and throw in some sushi along the way. Honestly, you can't go far wrong either way, try 'em all. :cool:

Edited by Notnewtoit

I was on the Gem in late November last year. I hit up Cagney's, Le Bistro, Moderno, and Teppanyaki. Looking at my picks, I took a few at Le Bistro but somehow didn't take pics at the other restaurants.

• I went to Cagney's the most on my Gem cruise (I had specialty dining package plus 2 platinum vouchers) and enjoyed my meals there. Last night of a cruise, seems like this restaurant is especially popular. I have to say also that this was the first Cagney's - I've been on Breakaway and on Epic - where I thought the food was actually really good. I thought Cagney's on Epic was disappointing and on the Breakaway, it was only ok.

• Le Bistro is always good. I only went once on that cruise. I went the first night of my cruise and it was pretty quiet. We did leave NYC later than normal, though (guessing cause it was the first cruise right after the 10-day Gem cruise that got cancelled), so that could've been why. I've found the service to be the best in Le Bistro as well.

• Went to Moderno once too. I usually like churrascaria but the meats seems bland/under-seasoned and too chewy the night I went, so I was somewhat disappointed. The salad bar was excellent, though, at Moderno. And my drink was good! ;) I have had better experiences at Moderno on the Breakaway.

• Finally hit up Teppanyaki... my first experience at Teppanyaki ever. It was fun with good food. I have a shellfish allergy so I got my food cooked first, which I appreciated that accommodation. Can't recall the name of my chef.

• Le Bistro is always good. I only went once on that cruise. I went the first night of my cruise and it was pretty quiet. We did leave NYC later than normal, though (guessing cause it was the first cruise right after the 10-day Gem cruise that got cancelled), so that could've been why. I've found the service to be the best in Le Bistro as well.

Strangely true... for whatever reason Le Bistro tends to be quiet at the start of most cruises I've been on... livens up mid week onwards. This may also be a timing issue though since we're European and tend to eat later.

Cagney's and Teppanyaki are the most popular and are on the top of our list (you gotta book Teppanyaki 90 days - 12 midnight Miami time before your cruise). It's a toss up between Moderno and Le Bistro. Given the kids, the meats carved by the Pasadores is probably a better choice. We don't spend money on La Cucina, it's similar to any Italian restaurant at home.

We always pick Le Bistro first; often more than once; then Moderno; but we make sure we don't overdo the chowder and salads; Cagney's is always good; even though the filet in Le Bistro can be better; we tend to keep away from La Cucina; not as good as many Italian ashore.

Edited by casofilia

Hi Everyone!

We will be on the Gem this June!! So excited! It will be myself, DH, and 2 children, 13 and 9.

We most recently sailed on the Breakaway. We tried Cagneys, Teppanyaki, Moderno.

I was going to do the same 3, and possible ad in La Cucina?

Has anyone tried these places, any thoughts advice or food pics please!!!!

Thank you!!!!!!!

Is there some reason you do not want to try Le Bistro?

Just on the Gen Jan 3. We loved Cagneys. Le Bistro is my favorite. La Cucina was nice. We have done Japanese tempanyaki at other venues and had no desire. We passed on moderno because it is not our dining style. I ate too much at Le Bistro, the Veal was best thing I ate entire cruise.

We love Cagneys and La Cucina! We usually do Cagney's twice (filet mignon as main and oreo cheesecake for dessert!!!) and La Cucina once. Not a fan of Le Bistro as French cuisine is really not our thing. Moderno is ok, but with all the food you eat on a cruise, we really don't need an all you can eat meat meal (hahaha!). We have done Teppanyaki once, it was good, but we have 2 hibachi restaurants close to us at home that we frequent, so we don't feel the need to pay extra for that experience on a cruise.

I'd take Le Bistro over Cucina personally. We kinda rotate around between Cagneys, Moderno, Le Bistro and throw in some sushi along the way. Honestly, you can't go far wrong either way, try 'em all. :cool:

We always enjoy the experience of the specialty dining rooms and the quality. For us, our first choice always is Le Bistro.

Hi 1st cruise on NCL and we leave on Sunday. I'm looking at purchasing one of the dining packages. Am I too near cruising date to be able for us to get into Cagney's as well as the others restaurants?

Did you know that you can log into your MY NCL account and try to book these now?

Or, you can call NCL and ask to book the restaurants you want!

Or, if you go to the Restaurant Reservation desk upon embarkation, you might still be able to get the restaurant(s) with times you like. Good luck!

I didn't want to book the specialty package then go on line and the reservations are all full? But I will go ahead and try. Thanks.

You can check individually without having to have a package already purchased.

Even if you don't see availability you would have pretty good luck finding the places that are taking reservations right after you board. Usually somewhere around the atrium and sometimes by entrance to buffet.

• 3 weeks later...

On my recent cruise with NCL Gem, I had the dining package. I went to Cagney's, Le Bistro, and La Cucina for 2 times. I did not book in advanced so I had to go with La Cucina for 2 times, however it was not that bad.

I skipped Teppanyaki because I usually have this type of food back at home and I also skipped moderno because I did not like how it was about too much meat.

You might like Teppanyaki for the food entertainment part.

Cagney's seem to be more popular.