Partial Charter?

Herbaltees

Has anyone done a partial charter for a group? Or have you ever attended a partial charter?

What was your experience? My family and I were thinking we could easily get 500 cabins for our next family reunion.

What are the minimums for a partial charter?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You >really< need to find a good travel agent....one with experience with large groups.

Even if you are successful in booking 500 cabins, there isn't enough Tylenol in the whole world to take care of the headaches you will have if you try to do this yourself.

I will absolutely look at a TA. I was just wondering if others had sailed as part of a charter or a partial charter.

We’re not an uncommonly large family.

Um...500 cabins is a huge amount of people for a family, even if they were all solo cabins. I have a huge family, and even if every single person went we would probably only use like 20 cabins. Are you a Duggar or something? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I’m not OP but if my German Catholic side of the family were to have a reunion of all the cousins we would have to have some serious real estate. We have family on the west coast and in the Midwest and just the west coasters number over 150. The Midwesterners are far more numerous as only one small branch of the family tree emigrated west. I’m talking second-, third- and sometimes even fourth-cousins plus various generational removals that we are at least acquainted with.

Some families are downright enormous.

Several years I worked with a lady to help organize a local fan club cruise (170 cabins)... you NEED to get a good agen who will guide you through the perks. We earned points that we spent on cocktail party and had to organize for the band to play (we used the Lido stage one night) and used the rest of the points to get Band member and coordinator cabins etc... the “partial” charter is a misnomer as the ship will NOT customize an itinerary for the group, but they will block space... but you should NOT be the person trying to coordinate the payments and such on your own... let a non family member deal with the money and headaches. You will get a guest services groups coordinator onboard as a contact person for activities. My friend sailed with the group (they budgeted in a cabin for her into the points structure) so she handled all the onboard coordination... and she said it was CRAZY busy for,her...

I can tell you that given the knowledge that such a large group is booking will send the rest of us to another sailing.

I agree, The Problem with this is that Carnival in most Cases wont warn or if I am right according to a thread back in 2017 doesn't have the obligation to tell other people that this is a Partial Charter....Several people on CC have experienced this and were quite upset with the "Group" and with Carnival at the end of their Cruise....Just Saying:D

Mike

Has anyone done a partial charter for a group? Or have you ever attended a partial charter?

What was your experience? My family and I were thinking we could easily get 500 cabins for our next family reunion.

What are the minimums for a partial charter? Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are a few things to consider before you even start to contact a travel agent.

1. Exactly how many cabins do you need?

2. How many cabins do you need by cabin capacity

3. Can all 500 families get the same time off? You'll have to pick a date before you even start the process.

4. Can all 500 families afford to cruise?

5. Which ship?

6. How many days?

7. What itinerary?

8. For that many cabins (If all 500 attend) you will need to pick a date quite far in advance to be able to get that many cabins.

Are you willing to get the preliminary details all set with all of the families before you even contact a travel agent? If so, I suggest you write a letter to each family explaining what you want to do. Give a choice of ship, dates, length of cruise, itinerary etc. and have them vote and get back with you. You might even want to set up a committee so that you aren't the only one dealing with setting it up.

After you have all of that information, then contact your travel agent with the details. From that point on, they will handle everything and you are in the clear to sit back and count down the days until the family reunion. Good Luck!

I agree, The Problem with this is that Carnival in most Cases wont warn or if I am right according to a thread back in 2017 doesn't have the obligation to tell other people that this is a Partial Charter....Several people on CC have experienced this and were quite upset with the "Group" and with Carnival at the end of their Cruise....Just Saying:D

Mike

We once went on a cruise where some southern rock group had about half the ship.

The people were fine but they took over several venues and we felt we missed out on entertainment that we would have otherwise got to see. As a result in the future if we are aware of this we would find another cruise.

Several years I worked with a lady to help organize a local fan club cruise (170 cabins)... you NEED to get a good agen who will guide you through the perks. We earned points that we spent on cocktail party and had to organize for the band to play (we used the Lido stage one night) and used the rest of the points to get Band member and coordinator cabins etc... the “partial” charter is a misnomer as the ship will NOT customize an itinerary for the group, but they will block space... but you should NOT be the person trying to coordinate the payments and such on your own... let a non family member deal with the money and headaches. You will get a guest services groups coordinator onboard as a contact person for activities. My friend sailed with the group (they budgeted in a cabin for her into the points structure) so she handled all the onboard coordination... and she said it was CRAZY busy for,her...

Thank you this is the kind of info I wanted to get.

You should get some free cabins I really don’t think you can do a partial charter. You can get a discount price, free rooms, used of large rooms for get together. You may get some free food for you get together that linger of stuff.

Total different then cutting a deal for the ship a week paying the Cruise line two or three million and you take care of everything else. Booking collecting moneys, giving out cabins, ect

Also time of year is important. Don’t think cruse lines care about charters in the summer, Thanksgiving week. Christmas week, Easter week. If you are going in October, or March you could get a better deal

I've been on cruises which had large groups but not really organized. Once I saw a bunch of people wearing shirts that said Bob on them. They were of every ethnicity. I finally had to ask them if they were a family and was told it was a travel agency. Once there were a huge bunch of little kids. That was really annoying with the elevator buttons all pushed and loud talking and running.

We found ourselves on a cruise that had a large Parrot-heads group onboard. Actually not the problem I imaged it could be although I did think they "took over" some venues and we missed some entertainment, as a previous poster stated.

Hopefully this was not the last family reunion cruise..... lolol

Around two dozen Carnival Cruise Line passengers were removed from the Carnival Legend on Friday following a violent brawl that one onlooker described as a “bloodbath.”

The Carnival Legend was scheduled to dock in Melbourne on Saturday following a 10-day trip through the South Pacific, but was forced to make an unscheduled stop in Eden, New South Wales, where police unloaded the unruly passengers, 9 News Australia is reporting.

Witnesses say the fight broke out very early on Friday morning between a large extended family, guests and staff members, and grew to the point where fellow passengers were “truly scared for [their] safety.”