second time river cruiser questions TA

VistaRio

Hello all. Before starting, I have read the pinned thread regarding “River Cruise TRAVEL AGENTS – Why You Need One”. I am looking for some conversation and opinions, I suppose, based on the following:

We recently took a VR cruise which was simply fantastic. We will likely book our second trip soon, and already know the VR itinerary, dates, and cabin selection we will select. I believe there is a small credit for repeat sailors with VRC. We travel frequently (other than cruises) and handle all of our own travel arrangements including complex itineraries, for both personal and business purposes. As one who sits in front of a copmpute screen 10 hours a day, I don't mind spending time on these things!

For our prior cruise, we had booked through a “large but regional” TA with an on line presence that specializes in tours and cruises, hoping there was some “value add” that we may not be aware of. Without going in to detail, this agency did not do a very good job of protecting our interests, and certainly did not stream line the process or ease communications when they were required. The basic cost of the cruise through the TA was the same as that available directly from Viking. (It was what I consider a “good deal” - certainly no cost complaints)

I suppose my question boils down to this: Given our prior experience, I can not conceive of any reason I would go through that agency again. I am not sure it makes sense to try another TA either, now that we have been through the River process and don’t see what value they really provide. Further, I am not sure why I wouldn’t book directly with VRC, unless they are known for being impossible to contact especially as it relates to small requests associated with their premium air.

I hope the topic makes sense, I am always happy to hear additional opinions.

I generally plan all my travel because I'm a control freak...but I have let a friend of mine, who is also an agent, book my river cruises, mostly to help her out. Doesn't cost me anything and I let her handle the details, and it helps her with the commission. There are times I wish I booked myself because I want answers when I want answers and if you have a registered agent, the cruise line will only talk to them when it comes to changes, etc.

An agent can go to battle for you when you have issues and a good agent has the backing usually of a large travel consortium that many companies don't want to lose the business of. They have more punch than we as an individual consumer do.

If you don't mind doing your own thing and fighting your own battles...book your own travel. If you want some support behind you maybe try a different agent from a smaller agency.

I agree that you shouldn't go back to the TA that gave you poor service. And since we're not allowed to discuss TAs by name here, I can't tell you about my two TAs who provide either (a) terrific advice and service or (b) huge rebates [depending on which I value more on a particular itinerary]. But such TAs are out there, and some of the people on each of your cruises was using them – so my advice is to book this one directly, but use this as a conversation opener on every cruise you take [after all, people always like to be asked for advice!]

I've only ever booked direct with Viking.

If flight times are not convenient to me they've changed flights. When there was a small problem one time they fixed it and gave me OBC. Sometimes they offer extra discounts when you're on the phone to them.

Repeat bookers get a £100 discount and no credit card fees. Get emails about discounted trips.

Also had invites to functions which Viking have sponsored or appeared at.

As a former travel agent myself I just booked my trips directly as I thought that I could understand and deal with any issues. However I have learned through these boards that the big agents offer on board credits, cabin upgrades, and actual cash back. So I think that I am a fool for not using one! On my last Silverseas cruise I asked other passengers for recommendations. I will do the same on my upcoming Viking river cruise. I thought that the fares that I paid were fair and they were. But if others are paying the same and getting perks then I am foolish for not doing the same.

I've gotten some nice discounts plus some OBC from my TA, depending on what her agency and/or Uniworld are offering at the time. This particular agent has also helped me a lot with pre- and post-cruise arrangements. She travels a lot herself, and makes recommendations based on her own personal experience.

Roz

We always use a travel agent, mostly because we book travel on both ends of our cruises....she handles private tours, transports, hotels, air. But if you know what you want , I would book directly with Viking.....I assume VR is Viking?

We've taken 2 Uniworld cruises w/ our 3rd coming up in July. We've booked directly w/ Uniworld for all of them. I like to be the one in control of the details & be able to get answers when I want them not when a TA has a chance to get back to me. As a further backdrop we've also taken 9 land tours w/ Tauck World Discovery & have booked directly w/ Tauck for 7 of 9 of them. Stopped using a TA when we realized that we knew more about Tauck than they did.

Everyone has their own feelings about whether to use a TA or not but for us not using one is easier than using one. Regardless, Enjoy your trip!!

I book all of our own travel except for the river cruise portion. The reason for this is that our TA provides extra discounts and bonuses over and above what we could get by booking directly with Uniworld. I do everything else myself, though. I find that I know more about the locations and options for accommodations, etc. than most TAs.

As a former travel agent myself I just booked my trips directly as I thought that I could understand and deal with any issues. However I have learned through these boards that the big agents offer on board credits, cabin upgrades, and actual cash back.

Right, so these things you mentioned are the only reason a person like me would use a TA again. But, my point I suppose, is that I do not believe that my previously used TA, and possibly ANY TA can and does provide cabin upgrades or OBC on a Viking River Cruise. It's not like I am booking a RCI or Carnival Ocean cruise.

I do find it surprising that you were a TA before , but had to "learn through these boards" of potential credits a TA could theoretically provide. Interesting.

Thanks for the input, all.

Right, so these things you mentioned are the only reason a person like me would use a TA again. But, my point I suppose, is that I do not believe that my previously used TA, and possibly ANY TA can and does provide cabin upgrades or OBC on a Viking River Cruise. It's not like I am booking a RCI or Carnival Ocean cruise.

I do find it surprising that you were a TA before , but had to "learn through these boards" of potential credits a TA could theoretically provide. Interesting.

Thanks for the input, all.

This shows that you need a TA who specializes in river cruises, because it's a specialized part of the travel industry. But many TAs do indeed provide special discounts, upgrades and OBC on river cruises. I'm on several mailing lists and get these offers all the time. On our upcoming AMA Discover Africa trip we have $50 OBC [not much, but few ways to use it] plus we got a $1,000 Amazon gift card – in addition to all the deals that were advertised on AMA's website. That kind of money is nothing to sneeze at.

In fact my TA gave me a gift card valued at roughly 7% of the cost of the cruise as charged. The price I paid was exactly as I would have paid to VIking. I was still able to do all my Viking air and deviations just as I would have if I had booked directly. Same TA gives me 7-8% on Princess but that is always as refundable OBC. The gift card came in the mail after the cruise was completed. Before I contact the TA I have generally worked out all my plans and how I wish to travel, etc. so in fact I am not looking for lots of advice or handholding, simply some form of discount.

• Like 1

We will be travelling on Avalon, and our TA gave us a credit, not OBC, but actually applied to our invoice. We used her to book everything with Avalon (who gave us a great deal on air, no deviation and cheaper than booking direct with our airline), however when I was trying to get her to book our train trip, she was only going through a 3rd party site (probably got some commission from it), so I booked direct with DB and got our tickets at a much better price. I booked my own hotel because I was using points. I did appreciate having her contacting Avalon and getting answers quicker than I do by e-mail. Also, I appreciated her experience with timing for flights (ok, we decided to go direct, but we had been looking at a transfer) etc.

I book all of our own travel except for the river cruise portion. The reason for this is that our TA provides extra discounts and bonuses over and above what we could get by booking directly with Uniworld. I do everything else myself, though. I find that I know more about the locations and options for accommodations, etc. than most TAs.

I'm happy that I booked my air through the cruise line. Air France was on strike yesterday and GCT handled all the rearrangements.