Dealing with selfish Chair hogs on NW

traveler2100

I have watched chairs that have been unused for an hour plus, not because I enjoy doing this...but if it is a sea day and we want to enjoy sometime by the pool or in the sun/shade somewhere and we can't get a chair or two because they are either been used or being 'saved' then we watch.

From where are you watching? Are you in a chair but simply want a "better" (term used loosely) one? Look at the following pictures taken by JimZim on Escape... MainPoolChairHogs-IMG_7164.JPG

Sundeck-Deck19-IMG_7151.JPG

Sundeck-Deck20-IMG_7152.JPG

...these were all taken at approximately the same time and on a sea day. If all of the chairs are taken in one area, why not just enjoy another area that is less crowded, less hectic, etc.? If not actually using the pool, what is the desire to be right next to the pool? (unless watching children or similar)

I don't get enjoyment moving peoples things but I will do it if they have left their chairs for longer than an hour. I want to use them and apparently they don't!

I repeat, it isn't about the people who leave items for more than 1 hour. THOSE people are clearly wrong.

However, if someone (in the example that I gave earlier) is simply going for a swim and then going to the bar for a drink, should THAT person have their items removed by another guest? If someone who feels that it is OK to move another guest's items walks by 10 seconds after the other person goes into the pool, the "chair watcher" will have NO IDEA if the towel belongs to a "chair hog" or a "chair user".

Should the person in the pool who walks to the bar or back to their stateroom to get their sunglasses have their items removed if they HAVEN'T been gone for 1 hour?

You can always walk around and collect the towels left on poolside chairs at 6 AM. That would give you quite a collection at the end of the trip... bring an extra duffel bag.

:'):'):'). And watch all those people try to explain what happened to their towels when they get charged for them.

Other than watching your kids....is there some reason why everyone has to lounge around the pool? What is the big deal with that? The sun is everywhere! There are chairs in many places.

I don't understand why people (including the early risers) want those chairs so badly. :confused:

I have yet to see any explanation as to why those chairs are better than the other chairs.

From where are you watching? Are you in a chair but simply want a "better" (term used loosely) one? Look at the following pictures taken by JimZim on Escape... MainPoolChairHogs-IMG_7164.JPGSundeck-Deck19-IMG_7151.JPG

Sundeck-Deck20-IMG_7152.JPG

...these were all taken at approximately the same time and on a sea day. If all of the chairs are taken in one area, why not just enjoy another area that is less crowded, less hectic, etc.? If not actually using the pool, what is the desire to be right next to the pool? (unless watching children or similar)

I repeat, it isn't about the people who leave items for more than 1 hour. THOSE people are clearly wrong.

However, if someone (in the example that I gave earlier) is simply going for a swim and then going to the bar for a drink, should THAT person have their items removed by another guest? If someone who feels that it is OK to move another guest's items walks by 10 seconds after the other person goes into the pool, the "chair watcher" will have NO IDEA if the towel belongs to a "chair hog" or a "chair user".

Should the person in the pool who walks to the bar or back to their stateroom to get their sunglasses have their items removed if they HAVEN'T been gone for 1 hour?

I stated if they are gone an hour or more...simple. If I want to sit by the pool and there are chairs that have been unused for more than an hour I will have their stuff removed or remove it myself, again simple. If I choose to not sit by the pool and find empty chairs elsewhere, I will sit there, again simple.

And the point of the pictures are??? On that particular cruise at that paricular time there are many empty chairs...so??

I don't understand why people (including the early risers) want those chairs so badly. :confused:I have yet to see any explanation as to why those chairs are better than the other chairs.

There are some people that have to always be noticed... love to be the center of attention... want all eyes on them. They speak louder in groups, they will excessively gesture when talking, and on cruise ships you will find them in the center of each area. On the lido deck? That's near the pool.

And the point of the pictures are??? On that particular cruise at that paricular time there are many empty chairs...so??

I'm trying to find out WHY people (in the first picture) so desperately want one of those chairs but completely ignore the other chairs. Why are people going through the hassle of leaving/moving items at all if there are plenty of chairs available?

What is the allure of sitting by the pool if not swimming nor watching others (children) in the pool?

Do people just want the chairs that others feel are better? Is it simply a mimetic desire that I described earlier?

I don't understand why people (including the early risers) want those chairs so badly. :confused:I have yet to see any explanation as to why those chairs are better than the other chairs.

A better question is why do the 'chair hog' people who find those chairs so much better, leave their stuff on them to hold onto them??

A better question is why do the 'chair hog' people who find those chairs so much better, leave their stuff on them to hold onto them??

I AGREE!!

I've asked that question, also. The "early risers" aren't here to answer that. I don't know why people put towels on chairs at 6am nor do I know why others want those chairs so desperately.

I'm trying to find out WHY people (in the first picture) so desperately want one of those chairs but completely ignore the other chairs. Why are people going through the hassle of leaving/moving items at all if there are plenty of chairs available?What is the allure of sitting by the pool if not swimming nor watching others (children) in the pool?

Do people just want the chairs that others feel are better? Is it simply a mimetic desire that I described earlier?

In that siutation I would have no problem sitting anywhere, lots to choose from. It is when that picture shows all the chairs being used(no empty chairs) by either people in them or their stuff on them, but the people are no where to be found(after an hour of course).

I want a chair, but can't find a chair, so If I hang around the pool or bar long enough and notice some that have been unoccupied for longer than an hour I will claim them, which means moving someone elses stuff. Poolside or not, but in a location where I want to sit based on whether I want sun or shade.

Wait... I am an early riser. And I see all of the chair hogs putting their towels out when I am up enjoying my coffee and sunrise outside. We are two separate groups of people. The other early risers that I usually visit with are also coffee/sunrise people.

The chair hogs are out with their clips, bags, towels, stuffed animals, etc., to claim an entire row of chairs. "I need to save two more, in case Fred and Ethel from the LCR game want to sit with us!"

I just drink my coffee and watch my sunrise. :-)

Wait... I am an early riser. And I see all of the chair hogs putting their towels out when I am up enjoying my coffee and sunrise outside. We are two separate groups of people. The other early risers that I usually visit with are also coffee/sunrise people. The chair hogs are out with their clips, bags, towels, stuffed animals, etc., to claim an entire row of chairs. "I need to save two more, in case Fred and Ethel from the LCR game want to sit with us!" I just drink my coffee and watch my sunrise. :-)

My apologies. I was only referring to the "early riser/towel chair saver brigade", not the "enjoy their coffee/sunrise group". :cool:

For a number of reasons. First for families who want to watch their kids playing in the pool, as mentioned before. Second, for people who like to jump into the pool every now and then and don't want to parade through the half of the ship. Third, all the fun is happening around the pool - music bands, activities and competitions with entertainment staff etc. Not everyone wants to just sit and read a book all day in silence. Oh I almost forgot fourth - bars are usually close to the pools too ;)

I can't say if you have broken any rule or not because I am not 100% sure what the policy say. I know that it's not allowed to reserve chairs but cant really say if you are using or reserving in your example.

Go for a swim and for a drink without using the chair... Probably reserving but I'm not sure.

I am not interested in the chairs by the pool so personally I don't really care but I don't think that people shall be too selfish. Don't reserve a chair, someone might want to use the chair!

Odd topic. Chair hogs are not going anywhere. It is a global phenomenon at every tourist destination I have ever been too. I cant even name the number of times I have simply moved vacant chairs in front of someones reserved chairs to watch my kids in the pool. Then have the hogs come back 3 hours later and start complaining about it. But you know what they usually leave at that point and those hogged chairs become available chairs for someone else. When I travel without my kids I am looking to get as far away from the crazy pool scene as possible anyways. So I will always find an empty chair somewhere else.

This is not about the people,who leave there chairs and go to the pool, get back, and go to the bar, and move around a lot. it is about those people, who put their stuff down, and do not return at all, for hours at end.And, since I am on Vacation, so what ifi want to be front row, centre.

I do not care what any of you get up to on your vacation, but, if you leave your stuff on a chair, and do not return for a few hours, i will remove it,only if somebody else would like to use the chair, and I know 100% that those chairs have been reserved and not used.

If you do not like that, than do not leave your stuff unattended on a chair for hours on end - simple.

if you do not understand this concept, I will draw you a picture.

Sometimes it's easy and sometimes it's not.Two chairs tied together with a towel, reserving.One flipflop on one chair and one on another, reserving.

And I'm almost sure the folks who come out in their robes and pajamas to leave towels before making a quick exit (presumably to return to bed) are reserving

Second, for people who like to jump into the pool every now and then and don't want to parade through the half of the ship. ;)
But when you "jump into the pool" (like I have stated), shouldn't your towel and items be right where you left them? Would it be wrong if someone moved your towel and "claimed" the chair that you were using?

For a number of reasons. First for families who want to watch their kids playing in the pool, as mentioned before. Second, for people who like to jump into the pool every now and then and don't want to parade through the half of the ship. Third, all the fun is happening around the pool - music bands, activities and competitions with entertainment staff etc. Not everyone wants to just sit and read a book all day in silence. Oh I almost forgot fourth - bars are usually close to the pools too ;)

Exactly!!

This is not about the people,who leave there chairs and go to the pool, get back, and go to the bar, and move around a lot. it is about those people, who put their stuff down, and do not return at all, for hours at end.And, since I am on Vacation, so what ifi want to be front row, centre. I do not care what any of you get up to on your vacation, but, if you leave your stuff on a chair, and do not return for a few hours, i will remove it,only if somebody else would like to use the chair, and I know 100% that those chairs have been reserved and not used.

If you do not like that, than do not leave your stuff unattended on a chair for hours on end - simple.

if you do not understand this concept, I will draw you a picture.

Well said!

I AGREE!!I've asked that question, also.

The "early risers" aren't here to answer that.

I don't know why people put towels on chairs at 6am nor do I know why others want those chairs so desperately.

Ah! Also notice that NCL never addresses this issue.

On a nice day, most everyone wants to be by the pool.

Once, I found an unoccupied chair stuck close to another. So, I slide it out and placed it next to me DW, in a shady deck area. Later, I noticed a gent giving me the finger.:p

It seems, he was planning on using that lounger.

Sorry

But when you "jump into the pool" (like I have stated), shouldn't your towel and items be right where you left them? Would it be wrong if someone moved your towel and "claimed" the chair that you were using?

If you left it unattended for longer than an hour...no not wrong at all!

If you just jumped into the pool for a quick dip, then yes.

I sense that this concept is a little confusing for you:confused:

I can't say if you have broken any rule or not because I am not 100% sure what the policy say. I know that it's not allowed to reserve chairs but cant really say if you are using or reserving in your example. Go for a swim and for a drink without using the chair... Probably reserving but I'm not sure.
The policy about unattended items is on the dailies. My example is NOT against the policy. My example is NOT reserving. People can go to the bar, to the buffet, etc.

OTHER examples (people leaving items for hours) are against NCL's policy.

Unfortunately, some people see a towel on a chair and assume that a policy is being violated.