Alasks: Holland America vs Carnival

dsotm73

We are planning an Alaskan cruise for May or June in 2019. Our analysis thus far has narrowed the decision to either the Carnival Legend or HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam (NA). Celebrity and Princess are much more expensive, as is NCL because we do not drink and feel the other amenities don't warrant the price premium.

We are older cruisers (56/62). All of our cruises recently have been with Carnival, and we have the fourth sailing on the Dream scheduled for later this year. We love the balconies, the trivia games, the comedians, even the production shows, though at some point they would get repetitive, I'm sure. We also love the dining choices we've experienced on Carnival, and have never had a bad meal in the MDR, enjoy the steakhouse once per cruise, and eat lunch at Guys and Blue Iguana multiple times each cruise.

While we are open to trying something new, the cruise on the NA is $300 (~8%) higher than on the Legend, so we're looking to see what we would get for the extra costs. I have always heard that HAL was an upper-class cruise line, but the reviews here for the NA to Alaska last May and June are not very favorable. I know to take these with a grain of salt as people are more likely to write a review when they experience a problem than write a neutral or favorable review. However, the reviews from the Legend for the same period are much more favorable. I spend most of my time on CC in the Carnival boards, so I am well-versed on their shortcomings. The last couple weeks I have been lurking on the HAL boards and find similar complaints.

So I guess my question is this: How would you convince someone that HAL is a better value at a slightly higher price than Carnival, or vice versa? It would help if someone has specific ship experience on the Legend and/or the Nieuw Amsterdam to Alaska.

Both of these are round-trip 7-day cruises, Carnival sails out of Seattle while HAL sails out of Vancouver. Itineraries are also similar, but Carnival goes to Tracy Arm Fjord while the NA goes to Glacier Bay. Is there any advantage either way?

We are planning an Alaskan cruise for May or June in 2019. Our analysis thus far has narrowed the decision to either the Carnival Legend or HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam (NA). Celebrity and Princess are much more expensive, as is NCL because we do not drink and feel the other amenities don't warrant the price premium.

We are older cruisers (56/62). All of our cruises recently have been with Carnival, and we have the fourth sailing on the Dream scheduled for later this year. We love the balconies, the trivia games, the comedians, even the production shows, though at some point they would get repetitive, I'm sure. We also love the dining choices we've experienced on Carnival, and have never had a bad meal in the MDR, enjoy the steakhouse once per cruise, and eat lunch at Guys and Blue Iguana multiple times each cruise.

While we are open to trying something new, the cruise on the NA is $300 (~8%) higher than on the Legend, so we're looking to see what we would get for the extra costs. I have always heard that HAL was an upper-class cruise line, but the reviews here for the NA to Alaska last May and June are not very favorable. I know to take these with a grain of salt as people are more likely to write a review when they experience a problem than write a neutral or favorable review. However, the reviews from the Legend for the same period are much more favorable. I spend most of my time on CC in the Carnival boards, so I am well-versed on their shortcomings. The last couple weeks I have been lurking on the HAL boards and find similar complaints.

So I guess my question is this: How would you convince someone that HAL is a better value at a slightly higher price than Carnival, or vice versa? It would help if someone has specific ship experience on the Legend and/or the Nieuw Amsterdam to Alaska.

Both of these are round-trip 7-day cruises, Carnival sails out of Seattle while HAL sails out of Vancouver. Itineraries are also similar, but Carnival goes to Tracy Arm Fjord while the NA goes to Glacier Bay. Is there any advantage either way?

I've sailed the Legend as well as the NA! Spirit Class are wonderful as are Signature Class on HAL!

I would go with Vancouver (Inside Passage) instead of going out of Seattle and if first time to AK, I agree with definitely seeing Glacier Bay!

I would choose itinerary over the ship and prefer one-way over round trip. I would choose Glacier Bay over Tracy Arm, unless you have the option for the small boat cruise that goes all the way to the end of Tracy Arm.

As far as cruise lines, we took our first cruise on HAL last month (Western Caribbean) and were disappointed. The quality and variety of the food and entertainment were below what we experienced on Carnival and Royal Caribbean. Nothing was horrible, but if you enjoy Carnival, and entertainment is important to you, you may find the entertainment options on HAL to be lacking. I am 56, so we may enjoy similar styles of music and entertainment.

That being said, Alaska is primarily about the ports and the scenery. We found we were using the ship primarily for sleeping, eating breakfast and dinner and as transportation between ports. The entertainment options are not as important to most people on an Alaska cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JT1962

Glacier Bay by far is better than Tracy Arm, but enjoyed both. I have found HAL little more polished, of course you hear the good and bad. Have had a off meal on different cruise lines. HAL ships don’t have all the water slides and toys on the top deck. Seems to attract the older folks. Partner and I are in our 50s and like HAL a lot and Princess, Carnival if good deal and area for short cruise.

If you are happy with Carnival, stick with Carnival.

HAL is not an "upper class cruise line". It is a mainstream cruise line and described by the owner of the Carnival parent corporation as a "midwestern" cruise line - taken to mean more solid, traditional and quieter.

HAL certainly is better known for its older passenger demographics, as compared to Carnival which has the reputation for younger, more active and boistrous passengers. However, on any larger ship there is something for everyone. We loved the Neiuw Amsterdam and would never hesitate to sail her again. But we are "older and midwestern" in our tastes.

Since Alaska cruises are port intensive, your time on the ship may be less important than on other cruises. So if you want to try something new, then give the NA a try. She was a a quite wonderful ship and we loved her Pan-Asian Tamarind restaurant.

The prevailing perspective is that Holland America is a superior product as compared to Carnival but that may or may not translate into you personally having a better time. Who's to say whether the specific things that makes Holland America better than Carnival are things that you personally value? Truly only you can say that and that's a bit of a problem because you won't know until you try. I think if you're going to try Holland America Alaska is the right itinerary with which to make that test. Carnival probably does okay in Alaska but Holland America is very well regarded with regard specifically to Alaska itineraries.

Beyond that let me reiterate some of the things that others have said in this thread already, things that we found to be compelling arguments in favor of Holland America.

Vancouver over Seattle. Seattle's great don't get me wrong. It's certainly is easier at least for us to fly round trip to and from Seattle than Vancouver. But there's no mistaking the fact that cruises out of Seattle cruise up the west side of Vancouver Island, open to the Pacific Ocean, and cruises out of Vancouver cruise up the east side of Vancouver Island, in the most scenic portion of the Inside Passage, totally missed by round trips out of Seattle.

Glacier Bay. There are so many things to do in Alaska but it's extremely rare for a first-time cruise passenger to Alaska to be nonchalant about the prospect of seeing glaciers. And the more you research it and the more you read people's reviews and reactions to their cruises, the more you learn that Glacier Bay is the best place to see glaciers. And if you really want to see Tracy Arm there is an excursion from the Nieuw Amsterdam that takes bright from the ship itself up into the fjord in a small boat, so you can get very close to the glacier.

Truly the only thing that gives me pause about cruising to Alaska on Holland America is the fact that the people that I meet online prior to the cruise aren't as friendly as the people I met prior to a Caribbean cruise on Carnival. I sensed a pervasive and generalized ethic among Carnival passengers in the interest of convivial relations between the passengers that just isn't there with Holland America. You also get the feeling that there's an awful lot more of a sense of entitlement especially among those passengers who have cruised Holland America in the past, with a bite in that attitude that you don't get on Carnival.

But like I said above Alaska is the place you really want to make that test. The downsides of Holland America are more than made up by the advantages of Holland America as a mid-grade cruise line and as one of the best and most experienced cruise lines to Alaska, as compared to the entry-level cruise line that is Carnival.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

This may be a good place for this question. We are doing the July 1 to 8 cruise from Seward to Vancouver. We are trying to decide which are the best excursions to take. We've never been to Alaska before and would love to not only see the beauty and the wildlife but also perhaps spend some time fishing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Truly the only thing that gives me pause about cruising to Alaska on Holland America is the fact that the people that I meet online prior to the cruise aren't as friendly as the people I met prior to a Caribbean cruise on Carnival. I sensed a pervasive and generalized ethic among Carnival passengers in the interest of convivial relations between the passengers that just isn't there with Holland America. You also get the feeling that there's an awful lot more of a sense of entitlement especially among those passengers who have cruised Holland America in the past, with a bite in that attitude that you don't get on Carnival.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Ooops, looks like there were some typographical errors, You are excused.

Ooops, looks like there were some typographical errors, You are excused.
No typographical errors there and something frequent Carnival passengers should be aware of. Edited by bUU

Did the Alaska cruise on the N Amsterdam from Vancouver in 2016 and it was great. We are in our sixties and brought daughter and her hubby along (they are in their 30's), everyone had a good time. If you decide to do this stay at the Pan Pacific hotel and watch the ship pull in as you eat your breakfast. They have a package where they transport your luggage right to the ship, awesome! Vancouver is a great town and lots to see so plan at least a day, two would be better. Also we have done the Seattle roundtrip and there was a night coming back that didn't sit too well with my other daughters stomach because you hit the open ocean, so be advised. It's smoother taking the Vancouver inside passage, coming and going. If you want to see excursions available look up the Alaska boards for lots of options. Happy sailing and if your like us we will be heading back there in the coming years because it's just stunning. Linda

Did the Alaska cruise on the N Amsterdam from Vancouver in 2016 and it was great. We are in our sixties and brought daughter and her hubby along (they are in their 30's), everyone had a good time. If you decide to do this stay at the Pan Pacific hotel and watch the ship pull in as you eat your breakfast. They have a package where they transport your luggage right to the ship, awesome! Vancouver is a great town and lots to see so plan at least a day, two would be better. Also we have done the Seattle roundtrip and there was a night coming back that didn't sit too well with my other daughters stomach because you hit the open ocean, so be advised. It's smoother taking the Vancouver inside passage, coming and going. If you want to see excursions available look up the Alaska boards for lots of options. Happy sailing and if your like us we will be heading back there in the coming years because it's just stunning. Linda

Second the Pan Pacific if you do an overnight - pricey but one of those things that is really worth it as a great way to start the cruise from Vancouver. Plus you can walk to GasTown to look for interesting restaurants. Yes, breakfast in the PanPacific and watching your ship come in - at eye level - was a big part of the treat of using this hotel. Or at least going there for breakfast. From their patio off the lobby restaurant you can practically reach out and touch it.

Our next Alaska cruise leaves from Seattle, so thanks to all for the reminders to ramp up the Bonine before we leave.

This may be a good place for this question. We are doing the July 1 to 8 cruise from Seward to Vancouver. We are trying to decide which are the best excursions to take. We've never been to Alaska before and would love to not only see the beauty and the wildlife but also perhaps spend some time fishing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to Cruise Critic. It is best to start your own thread, as to keep answers separated. If you post over on the Alaska Port of Calls, you will get the best results. Happy planning.

HAL, hands down. Love Glacier Bay and they’ve been sailing to Alaska 70 years so they’ve got it down. Nothing wrong with Carnival - we love the line, but the fact that they don’t have nearly as many sailings says something, imho

The two scenic sailing days leaving from and returning to Vancouver are worth the extra $300 pp. We did the 14-day RT Seattle a couple of years ago, and the two days leaving from and returning to Seattle were most definitely "sea" days, not any kind of scenic cruising days.

Like other posters have said, Glacier Bay is good for your first trip to Alaska, lots of glaciers to see. Tracy Arm is beautiful, but often you don't get to see the glacier at the end of it because of ice congestion.

I've done 10? 12? trips to Alaska, and it really is all about Alaska, not the ship imho. Having said that, the NA is a lovely ship, good crew, good food. I'd not hesitate to recommend it and its Alaska itinerary to a cruiser going to Alaska for the first time.

What ever boat that takes you into Glacier Bay gets my vote.

• Tracy Arm is usually ice congested in May, so ships need to find a substitute.
  • if you do go to Tracy Arm.... The ship needs to travel through 31 miles of glacier extinction to find the tiny Sawyer.

I loved my Alaska cruise/tour on HAL back in 2011. So much so, I have been anticipating going back.....and I am! (2019 on a 14 day cruise).

I have taken Carnival, and on those cruises I had a great time. I don't know much about their experience in Alaska, but I know HAL does a great job there. I also suggest a balcony, contrary to what some folks have said. I know it is personal preference/taste but we enjoyed our balcony and did not find it too cold, in fact it was very temperate/warm when we went in June. Luck of the draw I guess. Just being able to step outside your cabin and take in the views and fresh air is worth it to me......without having to go up or down several levels to go out on deck. It's a little extra money for the balcony, but I feel you would like the experience in Alaska.