Changing from suit and tie to casual wear after dining in MDR on Formal Night? Do you

Kingofcool1947

As it is on Cunard! And they expect one to stay in their formal wear all evening whilst in all the public venues.

Although we have no way of knowing for sure, I do not think that most posters on this thread have sailed Cunard. And for what it is worth, this is a Princess thread and not a Cunard threat. And while we are at it, I have no desire whatsoever to sail on Cunard!

Sounds like Australia, shorts to church, shorts to golf, shorts to restaurant. The only time I get my suit out is when I pack our bags for a cruise. It just keeps shrinking though, don't really know why, could the Horizon Court impact on it? :p

I had better pack my suit for trip to UK next year though, the Princess ships from Southampton (Sapphire x 2 and Royal) will have quite a few Brits on them. I know from my cruises on P&O UK the Brits stick to the dress code and most wear tuxedos in the MDR on formal nights and some wear jackets and ties on non formal nights. Tradition.

We were on the British Isles cruise last year. While some did wear the prescribed suit, many did not and it was not enforced. I wore my now usual short sleeved guayabera shirt and docker pants with athletic shoes without even a second glance. Others may do as them please but I prefer to be comfortable and it is allowed.

If they got rid of it, at the very least we wouldn't have to endure these contant "formal or not" posts! There would be nothing to discuss except for the initial, "We're not happy" and "We're very happy" posts. Then I suppose it would die down and go away. :confused:

lol. The focus would probably go towards the “smuggle or not to smuggle booze on a cruise” debate. js

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How about this for a change in focus: "How much extra should I tip the head waiter if he lets me smoke a cigar at the table on formal night?"

Yes. How could I forget the explosive tip subject.

You will see lots of casual dress after dinner but I can't say if they changes or never got dressed formal to begin with. formal dress on cruises is going the way of the dinosaur.

Glad to hear that,can't stand all that posing just false

Although we have no way of knowing for sure, I do not think that most posters on this thread have sailed Cunard. And for what it is worth, this is a Princess thread and not a Cunard threat. And while we are at it, I have no desire whatsoever to sail on Cunard!

WE dress for the cruise line. Cunard we've sailed the most, so we dressed properly for it. Celebrity & Princess, we dress in suits & sport coats.(formal & "Chic" nights)Smart casual nights we usually dress in nice slacks & dress shirt. Sometimes a sport coat if we want to kick it up a bit. As to Cunard, if you don't like to dress up(a TUX is NOT required, by the way)then skip the cruise line. Food is very good & if you like dancing(best dance floors at sea)Probably the best lecture guests in the cruise industry, but if it's not your thing, then skip the line.

As it is on Cunard! And they expect one to stay in their formal wear all evening whilst in all the public venues.

Not on QM2 in March, Sydney - Hong Kong. Some male pax in Tracksuit tops and jeans in Brittannia Restaurant for dinner and a few in casual dress in public rooms and theatre after the supposed 'bewitching hour of 6pm. The after 6pm - formal dress was rarely enforced. Much to the disgust of the many Brit world cruisers on board.:halo:

Or "to tip or not to tip" - (something tells me that the fashion police probably aren't good tippers)

Please give us proof! Yeah, I'm one those detested fashion police. I have a large food service business & we tip well above the auto gratuity on our cruises. The staff to me is like family, after all we're both in the hospitality business. Really want to see me go off my nut? Treat the staff like crap in my presence! On Celebrity nearly got into a fist fight with a low life scum bag who was physically pushing around a staff member. The guy was banned for life & we wound up with 5 free excursions the next year as a thank you from the "Captain's club" mgr.(the person being abused)

Please give us proof! Yeah, I'm one those detested fashion police. I have a large food service business & we tip well above the auto gratuity on our cruises. The staff to me is like family, after all we're both in the hospitality business. Really want to see me go off my nut? Treat the staff like crap in my presence! On Celebrity nearly got into a fist fight with a low life scum bag who was physically pushing around a staff member. The guy was banned for life & we wound up with 5 free excursions the next year as a thank you from the "Captain's club" mgr.(the person being abused)

Good work Keith, we need the decent pax like you, not the low lifes, not on Princess anyway. :evilsmile:

Not on QM2 in March, Sydney - Hong Kong. Some male pax in Tracksuit tops and jeans in Brittannia Restaurant for dinner and a few in casual dress in public rooms and theatre after the supposed 'bewitching hour of 6pm. The after 6pm - formal dress was rarely enforced. Much to the disgust of the many Brit world cruisers on board.:halo:

Appears as though the more expensive Cunard is also starting to look the other way on dress code to some extent. Not a surprise since we see that in our every day lives. I had to visit my friendly physician last week. I remember when they wore a white lab coat and shirt and tie. While dressed nice, he had a pair of dockers and a sport shirt on.

I do agree that verbally attacking a ship staff member is not called for nor attacking a waiter in a restaurant here at home for some omission. I don't like to see others doing it. Differences of opinion can be discussed in an adult manner with the crew member realizing that you are unhappy with something without resorting to abusive behavior.

Yes. It's usually quite warm in the MDR to sit there all gussied up in a monkey suit. It's worse when you have to take your jacket off and drape it across the chair! Then I have to prance around like a wayward waiter the night - very uncomfortable! My spouse hates it even more than I do!

For my next trip (28 days) I'm bringing a blazer and some dress pants only. 1) for the ease of packing and schlepping baggage that I really don't need; and 2) for the simple reason that this practice of tuxedo's, in the 21st century, on a mid-market cruise line has gotten ridiculous. Each cruise we take, the formal wear is becoming less and less visible. It's particular nuts on the Caribbean cruises, IMO.

There's a place for all this of course - on Cunard. Even the upscale lines, like Viking Ocean, do not formal anymore.

To the OP, wear your Guayabera well and proudly! I'll be in my Tommy or Caribbean!

Ditto for us! We recently did a tour in Costa Rica with a lovely Aussie couple! We have found most people are really nice and lovely to spend time with....there is occassional a "stinker" but that is few and far between!

suzyed, we are from Australia and have always met interesting people on princess cruises from all over the world. I think I've met one "stinker" who did not like that we were "dressed up" after dinner and we just ignored him. It's ok and I don't mind what people think, we just think that formal night is fun and will keep on what were wearing until we're ready to call it a night.

suzyed, we are from Australia and have always met interesting people on princess cruises from all over the world. I think I've met one "stinker" who did not like that we were "dressed up" after dinner and we just ignored him. It's ok and I don't mind what people think, we just think that formal night is fun and will keep on what were wearing until we're ready to call it a night.

We are much the same. We find it fun to dress up. Our group on this next crusie (12 of us) will be dressed to the hilt on formal nights. We don't really care if others dress up or not, but funny how we get looks from those not wanting to dress up when we walk around in our Tuxedos and formals. This next cruise, on the second formal night the guys are actually going to wear tails. That should be a blast!! On a Christmas cruise 2 years ago...on a non-formal night...I wore a Christmas tie to dinner and had people looking at me funny because I was dressed "formal" on a non formal night. For me, it was just fun!

We are much the same. We find it fun to dress up. Our group on this next crusie (12 of us) will be dressed to the hilt on formal nights. We don't really care if others dress up or not, but funny how we get looks from those not wanting to dress up when we walk around in our Tuxedos and formals. This next cruise, on the second formal night the guys are actually going to wear tails. That should be a blast!! On a Christmas cruise 2 years ago...on a non-formal night...I wore a Christmas tie to dinner and had people looking at me funny because I was dressed "formal" on a non formal night. For me, it was just fun!

I'm a homemaker, so I don't regularly dress up. I have the opportunity to have dinner out with my husband every night<3 so I am looking forward to dressing nice each evening and extra special on formal night. My husband will probably change after dinner so he can have more comfortable shoes for walking.

Hopefully it won't affect others who don't want to dress up, and I'm sure we won't be as formal as some others too. Either way I feel we are meeting Princess guidelines and we are dressing for each other regardless:hearteyes:

Yes. It's usually quite warm in the MDR to sit there all gussied up in a monkey suit. It's worse when you have to take your jacket off and drape it across the chair! Then I have to prance around like a wayward waiter the night - very uncomfortable! My spouse hates it even more than I do!

For my next trip (28 days) I'm bringing a blazer and some dress pants only. 1) for the ease of packing and schlepping baggage that I really don't need; and 2) for the simple reason that this practice of tuxedo's, in the 21st century, on a mid-market cruise line has gotten ridiculous. Each cruise we take, the formal wear is becoming less and less visible. It's particular nuts on the Caribbean cruises, IMO.

There's a place for all this of course - on Cunard. Even the upscale lines, like Viking Ocean, do not formal anymore.

To the OP, wear your Guayabera well and proudly! I'll be in my Tommy or Caribbean!

Awww yes soon it will be a glorified yuppies cruise line like the Carnival ships.

The MDR on formal nights is the Chamber of Misery. Dilly Dilly!

You just need to find a better tailor...my Tux is like wearing pajamas...very comfortable...and I do my own shoes, not shoes from the Formal Wear shop...then drink 2 bottles of wine and enjoy the evening!