Changing from suit and tie to casual wear after dining in MDR on Formal Night? Do you

Kingofcool1947

There are some posters that say you do not even need to pack a jacket/suit or tie - I do pack and wear a suit and do not change until I retire for the night

And there are some posters who prove time and time again that YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PACK A JACKET/SUIT OR TIE. While others insist that changes are coming because of a non existent letter from Jan Swartz. Just got finished a cruise today and attended formal night MDR meals and did not pack a jacket/suit for the occasion. Had no problem getting into the MDR on any night.

We were actually next to a ship in port and they were with no clothes! My husband said that woman is in the dining room with no top on. I thought he was kidding. Not the case.

Well, that would definitely cut down on luggage! At this point, not willing to go without clothes!

Certainly would be interesting if there was a "Abandon ship" issue.

I think your wife is mean ;p;p:halo:

So explain how you wound up in the hospital with a concussion? Well, my wife hit me over the head with an Oak leaf! An Oak leaf?! And it caused your concussion? Well, yes, it was an Oak leaf from the dining room table! This gag was from an old WC Fields movie. I figured I'd better explain it, as there are some on this site who are too slow to "catch" the gag!

Edited by keithm
explanation

While people in SW Florida do own suite & jackets, you hardly see them being worn. Maybe to very formal functions that we don't attend but wedding & yes even funerals are dress down in this section of the country.

In our church some people do wear suit jackets but are outnumbered by those in casual dress with many in shorts almost year round.

Sounds like Australia, shorts to church, shorts to golf, shorts to restaurant. The only time I get my suit out is when I pack our bags for a cruise. It just keeps shrinking though, don't really know why, could the Horizon Court impact on it? :p

I had better pack my suit for trip to UK next year though, the Princess ships from Southampton (Sapphire x 2 and Royal) will have quite a few Brits on them. I know from my cruises on P&O UK the Brits stick to the dress code and most wear tuxedos in the MDR on formal nights and some wear jackets and ties on non formal nights. Tradition.

Sounds like Australia, shorts to church, shorts to golf, shorts to restaurant. The only time I get my suit out is when I pack our bags for a cruise. It just keeps shrinking though, don't really know why, could the Horizon Court impact on it? :p

I had better pack my suit for trip to UK next year though, the Princess ships from Southampton (Sapphire x 2 and Royal) will have quite a few Brits on them. I know from my cruises on P&O UK the Brits stick to the dress code and most wear tuxedos in the MDR on formal nights and some wear jackets and ties on non formal nights. Tradition.

The people from the UK are definitely a different breed.

Where we live in Canada, it is not unusual to see someone wearing shorts (in the summer) in my spouse's church on a Sunday. It is even more common to see jeans throughout the year.

Perhaps that why we enjoyed our travels in Australia so much and why, when we travel to other parts or the world, we tend to chum up with Australians. Similar culture, sense of humour, Government, etc. No pretences, we just want to swap travel info and experiences.

We don't get turned around the axle when we see someone wearing something different nor does it impact our enjoyment of the cruise.

Where we live in Canada, it is not unusual to see someone wearing shorts (in the summer) in my spouse's church on a Sunday. It is even more common to see jeans throughout the year.

Perhaps that why we enjoyed our travels in Australia so much and why, when we travel to other parts or the world, we tend to chum up with Australians. Similar culture, sense of humour, Government, etc. No pretences, we just want to swap travel info and experiences.

We don't get turned around the axle when we see someone wearing something different nor does it impact our enjoyment of the cruise.

Thank you. We have met many nice Canadians on our travels, as you say, we have a lot in common. I like folks from the US of A as well, met some nice ones.:*

We dress for formal night. Have no luggage problem with suit. Wore long sleeve shirt and slacks at table for eight where other men had suits - felt underdressed. Do take tie off after dinner.

Think Princess did an extensive survey a couple of years ago and stayed with Formal Night.

Sailed once on Celebrity and enjoyed Chic Casual - wish Princess would follow suit (Wish I had intended that pun)

To repeat - on Princess I were dark suit for Formal and have no problem with one suitcase.

I think the OP already sailed, but adding my 2 cents. If we eat in the buffet, we stay in our jeans or shorts. Formal is defined for the dining room, not the ship. When we do the dining room, hubby wears a suit, but he forgot his white shirt last time, so he didn't wear his tie since it didn't look right with his shirt. Noone said anything. If we have time, we change into more casual and comfortable clothes between dinner and evening activities.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Forums mobile app

The people from the UK are definitely a different breed.

Thankfully!

In my mind, dressing more formally is not pretentious but rather is a choice of style, what makes me feel good and what makes one comfortable. Decision of what to wear can be whatever falls within the dressing guideline Princess has published--either more casual, more formal and in between and should not have any impact on other guests.

They are "recommendations" and a "request" - no reason to get rid of them IMO. Also, they do explicitly list items that are not allowed and those are generally enforced (no shorts, flip flops, t-shirts, etc). The present situation probably helps keep a certain standard for dinner. I am fine with it, except for all the haranguing that sometimes goes on here.

Agree with Carolinius just above... do what make you comfortable (y)

If they got rid of it, at the very least we wouldn't have to endure these contant "formal or not" posts! There would be nothing to discuss except for the initial, "We're not happy" and "We're very happy" posts. Then I suppose it would die down and go away. :confused:

It's the same here in Nebraska. Our church is very casual, including shorts and tank tops in summer, jeans in winter. Sometimes my husband does wear a sport jacket, usually not. Suits are not necessarily worn even at funerals or weddings; although you will see some you will also see jeans and I have even seen 'nice' shorts at a summer wedding. Women tend to dress up a bit more, but long dresses or even cocktail dresses are rare.

Here in Florida, it is still very casual at Chuch, especially in the summer, but I can't say I have seen tank tops. Funerals are Church or out to dinner casual.

Weddings are dressier with mostly cocktail dresses for the ladies and jackets for the men. There are some men with just a dress shirt and maybe a tie...but I have not seen jeans or very casual clothes on anyone. But maybe that's just the weddings I have been to. Of course a Beach wedding would be very casual!

so explain how you wound up in the hospital with a concussion? Well, my wife hit me over the head with an oak leaf! An oak leaf?! And it caused your concussion? Well, yes, it was an oak leaf from the dining room table! This gag was from an old wc fields movie. I figured i'd better explain it, as there are some on this site who are too slow to "catch" the gag!

lol!

As it is on Cunard! And they expect one to stay in their formal wear all evening whilst in all the public venues.

Thank you. We have met many nice Canadians on our travels, as you say, we have a lot in common. I like folks from the US of A as well, met some nice ones.:*

Ditto for us! We recently did a tour in Costa Rica with a lovely Aussie couple! We have found most people are really nice and lovely to spend time with....there is occassional a "stinker" but that is few and far between!

What happens if you go to a wedding or funeral?

I must admit, son in law was married a couple of years ago. I did rent a tux. I dress casual but I'm not stupid. Wife asked for tux so I rented one. Wife prefers casual wear and I do too. Basically, we decline any invitations that require anything above dockers and polos.

The last funeral I attended, the guest of honor was buried in overalls.

I must admit, son in law was married a couple of years ago. I did rent a tux. I dress casual but I'm not stupid. Wife asked for tux so I rented one. Wife prefers casual wear and I do too. Basically, we decline any invitations that require anything above dockers and polos.

The last funeral I attended, the guest of honor was buried in overalls.

well alrighty then