Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

This may have been stated before and I just missed it, be sure and download the Viking Voyager app before you head for your cruise and once aboard and using your ships WiFi, you can make dinner reservations. I had forgotten about the app until a fellow CruiseCritic reminded me while I was in the reservation line on embarkation day. They were only letting you make one reservation manually with them, but I was able to make all I wanted on the app. Technology Wins!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for that reminder, this will be our first VO cruise, on SEA, in late May for the Baltic Sea Countries. We are aware that we'll be limited to two reservations at Manfredi's.....however I just realized THE RESTAURANT & WINTERGARDEN may require reservations? Will the Viking Voyager app help with those locations?

Holly

Reservations have not been needed on Sky at any venues except Manfredi’s and Chef’s Table. There didn’t appear to be any limitations while using the app.

Thank you for such a fast answer!

thanks for that reminder, this will be our first VO cruise, on SEA, in late May for the Baltic Sea Countries. We are aware that we'll be limited to two reservations at Manfredi's.....however I just realized THE RESTAURANT & WINTERGARDEN may require reservations? Will the Viking Voyager app help with those locations?

Holly

You may be limited to two reservations before embarkation but once you're on the ship you can make more up to some limit (don't know offhand) and then play the standby game.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On embarkation day they were limiting folks standing in line to one reservation. Thereafter I haven’t heard of any limit. Though given how delish the Restaurant is, don’t think one needs to be concerned with having more than one or two anyway. We have a total of five for our 14 nights. One in Manfredi’s, one in Manfredi’s Private Dining with a group from our rollcall, and then French, Gastronomic Voyage through. Time and Asian at Chef’s Table.

I’ve been live posting reviews with pictures on my blog...link in my signature if you want to see or learn more.

Holly

The Restaurant is "open seating". Just get in line like any restaurant and wait to be seated at an available table. The Wintergarden is just a nice open but glass enclosed area behind the pool. If you don't want to eat lunch from the Poolside Grill in the blazing sun by the pool or at any of the tall tables by the Poolside bar you can lug your food over there and enjoy the a/c and general peacefulness.

Learn something new everyday. First time I've heard of the Viking mobile app. Very cool!

There is also a Viking Art Guide app you can download separately although it is now included in the Voyager app. This provides information on the art that is displayed around the ship.

Love all these tips and tidbits! Our Homelands ocean cruise isn't till April 2019 but planning is half the fun although my husband would say I'm a bit obsessive. Good thing I've got you all who understand my obsession :)

Oh boy, do I ever understand it being an obsession. You will love Viking and the Homelands cruise! I remember everyday researching, taking notes, looking at pictures, coming here. Enjoy!

I was unable to book ahead of time but literally writing this from Manfredi’s Private Dining. Beautiful room, max for 12, I tried reserving ahead of time before the cruise through my travel agent but was unable. I booked once aboard and as of this evening there are still two nights available.

this will be our first VO cruise, on SEA, in late May for the Baltic Sea Countries.

Holly

Dear Holly,

When in Helsinki the most interesting and beautiful place to visit was the cemetery. In the Orthodox cemetery, which is at the end nearest to the city centre, are the graves of some of the Faberge family complete with an EGG on the tombstone.

In Stockholm try to visit the Vasa Museum, a short ferry bus trip from where Viking docks. I did it on the day that we landed in Stockholm and missed the 1700 hrs safety drill but Viking repeat it later on for late comers. Be sure to take a camera.

Have a great trip,

We did, with help and advice from Peregrina651.

Yours

Ingra Tor

If you like the sounds of birds, be sure to book 3008. Apparently the bathroom is directly over one of the deck 2 theater public restroom’s speaker so you get the birds chirping (at least some of them) in your bathroom!

If you like the sounds of birds, be sure to book 3008. Apparently the bathroom is directly over one of the deck 2 theater public restroom’s speaker so you get the birds chirping (at least some of them) in your bathroom!

Oh, boy. This is our cabin on our upcoming Into the Midnight Sun cruise. Can you hear any other noises from the theater below?

• 4 months later...

Oh, boy. This is our cabin on our upcoming Into the Midnight Sun cruise. Can you hear any other noises from the theater below?

We typically weren’t in the cabin during the two evening showtimes but I suspect you could as one day we heard music during the afternoon. It wasn’t bothersome (to us) but was noticeable.

The chirping birds were only audible in the bathroom and i think they must be on a sensor to only chirp when someone is using the public restroom as it wasn’t constantly heard.

Have a great cruise!

I've read, though don't know if it's true, that often cruise line employees go to the room of anyone about to be left and look in the safe to see if there are passports in there. If so, they give them to the ship's agent in that port so that at least the people aren't completely grounded for a few days or more. I would love to know if that's true, but I'm not willing to test it myself!

ROOTHY - Did anyone answer your question? I don't want to go thru 29 pages of postings ;) I myself don't want to think of 'cruise line employees' going thru the safe in my cabin as I would be keeping important things in their besides my passport!

ROOTHY - Did anyone answer your question? I don't want to go thru 29 pages of postings ;) I myself don't want to think of 'cruise line employees' going thru the safe in my cabin as I would be keeping important things in their besides my passport!

They have my permission to do so. Can’t imagine having to spend several days getting a replacement passport on top of trying to figure out how to catch back up with the ship!

Good question! Maybe Heidi13 will weigh in on this one.

In the meantime, I am thrilled to see this thread back on page one. Just this morning I was trying to figure out how to do it without making it obvious that I was trying to "bump" it up. Thank you, suspaul, for reading my mind!

In the meantime, I am thrilled to see this thread back on page one. Just this morning I was trying to figure out how to do it without making it obvious that I was trying to "bump" it up. Thank you, suspaul, for reading my mind!

I recall sending passports ashore to the agent, back in the days when the Purser kept them on file.

Not sure if the crew would actually search the safe, but I have asked the question to some of my ex-Purser friends.

While not being privy to Viking policies, but with the cruise line I worked for, they still endeavour to provide passports ashore to the agent for any passengers that miss the ship. In the past, this may include a quick cabin search, including the safe.

Ok, so we've done a reasonable number of cruises, and this business of 'having to' surrender your passport for the ship to take care of bothers me. As UK passport holders we've certainly never handed ours over for someone else to look after.

Anyway, in some ports in Europe, whilst one port won't worry if you go ashore with just your cruisecard and a photo id (driving licence), other ports won't let you go ashore without your passport as id.

Hopefully we'll be able to hang on to our passports, really not comfortable with handing them over.

We've never missed the ship, not even been close to 'all aboard' time, always back with a bit of time to spare; and we most certainly don't intend to start now.