Vegan on Solstice ... new! Oceanview Cafe

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:17 AM.
#21
Central NJ
2,936 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by bigbeergut
It sure looks like something was eliminated, can you find out which station was removed? It looks like the stir fry station may be history. That will be a shame if that was eliminated.
I Am sure they will make you a stir fry if you want it..... just request it the day before.


bon voyage
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My eMail - If You Like - I Am SamuelS.. On our next voyage together, let us get together for cocktails and fun.

Booked Out Edge For Several Sailings!

If I Am ever confused, then IT must be dementia. There are answers out there, I just take a cruise to find them or me...
#22
Worcester, PA
3,161 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
I'm sure in a large space such as Oceanview cafe they can rearrange things without eliminating anything. There are a lot of duplicate stations. It is good that Celebrity has added a selection for Vegan foods to serve those guests on board. Maybe they will also add a Gluten-free selection area too?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Royal Caribbean Diamond+ and Celebrity Elite

Solstice March 2018 Aus & NZ
Summit Sept 2017 Canada & New England
Constellation June 2017 Adriatic, Croatia & Italy
Silhouette January 2017 W.Caribbean
Anthem December 2016 E.Caribbean
Infinity April 2016 Panama Canal
Reflection November 2015 W.Caribbean
Brilliance July 2015 Baltics
Freedom November 2014 W.Caribbean
Grandeur August 2014 Bermuda

Independence November 2013 E.Caribbean
Allure October 2012 E.Caribbean
Millennium July 2010 Alaska
Independence March 2010 E.Caribbean
Serenade January 2009 S.Caribbean
Freedom March 2008 E.Caribbean
Explorer March 2007 W.Caribbean
Navigator March 2006 E.Caribbean
Brilliance October 2005 Europe/Med
Adventure April 2004 S.Caribbean
Voyager April 2001 W.Caribbean


Upcoming cruises:
Harmony Jan 13, 2019, W.Caribbean; Edge Jan 20, 2019 W. Caribbean; Eclipse Jan 05 2020 Chile & Argentina
#23
659 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by TeeRick
I'm sure in a large space such as Oceanview cafe they can rearrange things without eliminating anything. There are a lot of duplicate stations. It is good that Celebrity has added a selection for Vegan foods to serve those guests on board. Maybe they will also add a Gluten-free selection area too?

I'm not sure I agree. The Oceanview Cafe is fairly well organized and utilized, space cannot be created. Something has been eliminated. Adding sections for small groups takes away choices for the large majority of cruisers. Maybe the people who need or want glue free, vegan, etc should follow Bo's advice and simply request a day early.
#24
Sydney, Australia
14,767 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by TeeRick
I'm sure in a large space such as Oceanview cafe they can rearrange things without eliminating anything. There are a lot of duplicate stations. It is good that Celebrity has added a selection for Vegan foods to serve those guests on board. Maybe they will also add a Gluten-free selection area too?
Agreed, lots of duplicate options on Oceanview. If anything they've taken away choices they used to have, and duplicated making more of the same lately, so some attempt at increasing variety like this is beneficial.
#25
Albany, NY
2,421 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by bigbeergut
Please ask which station was eliminated to add a Vegan Station. It should be easy to find the Vegan Station, it’s the one without a line. Hopefully this will be a short experiment.
bigbeergut - I am always interested to read posts from a wide swath of views... I don't think a station offering something else needs to be "eliminated" there are generally multiples of most things and taking one of those duplicate stations out of rotation to offer something different isn't really eliminating anything. I have a very good friend that is vegan, so when she was near me in Boston for work (FEB 2017), I drove out to meet her and spend the weekend. Being a bit of a foodie myself, I knew she would be surprised if I found some options to try that would work for her as well. I have to say that I was completely blown away with good vegan options when they are done right. While I don't have a lot of confidence that Celebrity will make a vegan station as good as their Indian station, I do hope it works out for those that are vegan or with dietary restrictions.

EDIT: In case you decide to reply to my post, I had not read all the way through before starting my post. I agree with TeeRick, even if you don't. There has always been a couple of duplicates. I doubt that the stirfry will be eliminated, but realize that it isn't offered every night, either.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Click on the link to send me an email -----> Walter
120 nights at sea completed... 15 more nights booked



-----------------------------------------------------
04 MAR 2006 - Holland America Westerdam (Cat. D) - 8 days - Western Caribbean
01 MAR 2007 - Celebrity Century (CC) - 4 days - Western Caribbean
28 MAR 2011 - Celebrity Millennium (Cat. 9) - 11 days - Eastern & Southern Caribbean
27 NOV 2011 - Norwegian Pearl (Haven) - 7 days - Western Caribbean
16 APR 2012 - Celebrity Millennium (C3) - 5 days - Western Caribbean
03 NOV 2012 - Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas (JS) - 15 days - Malaga to San Juan Transatlantic Crossing
01 NOV 2013 - Celebrity Reflection (AS) - 15 days - Rome to Miami Transatlantic Crossing
23 FEB 2014 - Norwegian Epic (Haven) - 7 days - Western Caribbean
05 NOV 2014 - Celebrity Constellation (A2) - 16 days - Rome to Fort Lauderdale Transatlantic Crossing
28 NOV 2015 - Celebrity Constellation (CC) - 9 days - Eastern Caribbean R/T from Fort Lauderdale
24 FEB 2016 - Norwegian Epic (Haven) - 11 days - Western Mediterranean R/T from Barcelona
26 NOV 2017 - Celebrity Silhouette (SV) - 12 days - Eastern Caribbean R/T from Fort Lauderdale
09 OCT 2018 - Celebrity Infinity (C2) - 15 days - San Diego to Fort Lauderdale Panama Canal Transit
#26
Shalimar FL
5,740 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
We all do realize that a vegan section isn’t just for vegans, right? We can all use it, just like the ‘asian’ or ‘mexican’ food sections aren’t for a set nationality.

Much of it will be selections we are familiar with, just done in a manner without any animal products, such as chicken broths or milk and so on.

Den
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Crystal Symphony-W Caribbean 15 Dec 2018
Carnival Inspiration - West Coast 28 Dec 2018 Family Cruise
B2B: Celebrity Edge-E Carribean 24 Mar 2019/W Carribean 31 Mar 2019
Viking Alruna - Rhine Gateway Amsterdam to Basel 11 May 2019
#27
Albany, NY
2,421 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by Denny01
We all do realize that a vegan section isn’t just for vegans, right? We can all use it, just like the ‘asian’ or ‘mexican’ food sections aren’t for a set nationality.

Much of it will be selections we are familiar with, just done in a manner without any animal products, such as chicken broths or milk and so on.

Den
Thanks, Den... very well said!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Click on the link to send me an email -----> Walter
120 nights at sea completed... 15 more nights booked



-----------------------------------------------------
04 MAR 2006 - Holland America Westerdam (Cat. D) - 8 days - Western Caribbean
01 MAR 2007 - Celebrity Century (CC) - 4 days - Western Caribbean
28 MAR 2011 - Celebrity Millennium (Cat. 9) - 11 days - Eastern & Southern Caribbean
27 NOV 2011 - Norwegian Pearl (Haven) - 7 days - Western Caribbean
16 APR 2012 - Celebrity Millennium (C3) - 5 days - Western Caribbean
03 NOV 2012 - Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas (JS) - 15 days - Malaga to San Juan Transatlantic Crossing
01 NOV 2013 - Celebrity Reflection (AS) - 15 days - Rome to Miami Transatlantic Crossing
23 FEB 2014 - Norwegian Epic (Haven) - 7 days - Western Caribbean
05 NOV 2014 - Celebrity Constellation (A2) - 16 days - Rome to Fort Lauderdale Transatlantic Crossing
28 NOV 2015 - Celebrity Constellation (CC) - 9 days - Eastern Caribbean R/T from Fort Lauderdale
24 FEB 2016 - Norwegian Epic (Haven) - 11 days - Western Mediterranean R/T from Barcelona
26 NOV 2017 - Celebrity Silhouette (SV) - 12 days - Eastern Caribbean R/T from Fort Lauderdale
09 OCT 2018 - Celebrity Infinity (C2) - 15 days - San Diego to Fort Lauderdale Panama Canal Transit
#28
UK
3,936 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Plenty of space for one or two ‘Special’ areas....

I think one of the things all of us like about OV is we can browse and have choices...why should guests with specific diets not have a few items to browse too rather than have to decide on a Monday what they might fancy on a Tuesday!
#29
Central NJ
2,936 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by bigbeergut
I'm not sure I agree. The Oceanview Cafe is fairly well organized and utilized, space cannot be created. Something has been eliminated. Adding sections for small groups takes away choices for the large majority of cruisers. Maybe the people who need or want glue free, vegan, etc should follow Bo's advice and simply request a day early.
Actually, I was suggesting for foods which anyone can or will eat without restriction, can make a request a day early to have.

Many of us on different eating lifestyles, do not ask that the world be turned upside down to solely accommodate us, only a slice of it.. LOL

The large majority of cruisers will still have the lions share of food space dedicated to them anyway, a station or two will not be missed, I Am sure...

bon voyage
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My eMail - If You Like - I Am SamuelS.. On our next voyage together, let us get together for cocktails and fun.

Booked Out Edge For Several Sailings!

If I Am ever confused, then IT must be dementia. There are answers out there, I just take a cruise to find them or me...
#30
Central NJ
2,936 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by vulcan1971
bigbeergut - I am always interested to read posts from a wide swath of views... I don't think a station offering something else needs to be "eliminated" there are generally multiples of most things and taking one of those duplicate stations out of rotation to offer something different isn't really eliminating anything. I have a very good friend that is vegan, so when she was near me in Boston for work (FEB 2017), I drove out to meet her and spend the weekend. Being a bit of a foodie myself, I knew she would be surprised if I found some options to try that would work for her as well. I have to say that I was completely blown away with good vegan options when they are done right. While I don't have a lot of confidence that Celebrity will make a vegan station as good as their Indian station, I do hope it works out for those that are vegan or with dietary restrictions.

EDIT: In case you decide to reply to my post, I had not read all the way through before starting my post. I agree with TeeRick, even if you don't. There has always been a couple of duplicates. I doubt that the stirfry will be eliminated, but realize that it isn't offered every night, either.
v - believe me, X is trying to get it right, yet without those of us who are vegan speaking up on how to improve the offerings, then they will go lacking...

For example on our Millennium sailing last July, it took a few days for them to get it right, yet by the end of the sailing there were great selections of food not only in OVC but in the MDR as well...


Thank you for your thoughts - bon voyage
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My eMail - If You Like - I Am SamuelS.. On our next voyage together, let us get together for cocktails and fun.

Booked Out Edge For Several Sailings!

If I Am ever confused, then IT must be dementia. There are answers out there, I just take a cruise to find them or me...
#31
Ontario - Canada
1,935 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Thank you so much for sharing!!! hoping the Vegan Station is still going when we board the Solstice in December

Heather
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
______________________________________________
Personal Travelogues (click individual links, below):
Coming Soon! New Zealand (=X= Solstice Dec 2018) * S. Caribbean (=X= Summit Nov 2018)
#32
Ontario - Canada
1,935 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Originally posted by bigbeergut
I'm not sure I agree. The Oceanview Cafe is fairly well organized and utilized, space cannot be created. Something has been eliminated. Adding sections for small groups takes away choices for the large majority of cruisers. Maybe the people who need or want glue free, vegan, etc should follow Bo's advice and simply request a day early.
Vegan is food without animal products.

With the majority of the Cafe being “meat-centric”, I am sure that a small, dedicated space for those who do not consume animals (or their by-products) is not “taking away” from the incredible choices that are offered to those who do eat animals.

I am so thankful to see this message thread and read the encouraging news that more choices are offered to us, other than lettuce & tomato sandwiches
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
______________________________________________
Personal Travelogues (click individual links, below):
Coming Soon! New Zealand (=X= Solstice Dec 2018) * S. Caribbean (=X= Summit Nov 2018)
#33
14,879 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
From my observation no station was eliminated. Stir fry was still there. Evening special “theme” station was still there — last night was Eastern European. Carving station was still there — last night was salmon wrapped in pastry.

They simply did not duplicate one station, and moved some things from one station to this one (rice, corn).

This was a win-win situation.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
...…..1038 Days At Sea...….(844 on Celebrity)...and I'm counting all 7 days on the ill-fated Millennium even though my cruise was shortened!)
#34
659 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by hvbaskey
Vegan is food without animal products.

With the majority of the Cafe being “meat-centric”, I am sure that a small, dedicated space for those who do not consume animals (or their by-products) is not “taking away” from the incredible choices that are offered to those who do eat animals.

I am so thankful to see this message thread and read the encouraging news that more choices are offered to us, other than lettuce & tomato sandwiches
There's no way it doesn't take away from existing choices in the buffet. Iff a station has been duplicated then it's because the items in that station are in high demand. Eliminating stations that are duplicated is probably the last option. Eliminating existing options will reduce the choices for the majority of the passengers. I wonder if the Retreat area with the new Edge Revolution will have a lot of vegan choices.
#35
Albany, NY
2,421 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by cruisestitch
From my observation no station was eliminated. Stir fry was still there. Evening special “theme” station was still there — last night was Eastern European. Carving station was still there — last night was salmon wrapped in pastry.



They simply did not duplicate one station, and moved some things from one station to this one (rice, corn).



This was a win-win situation.

cruisestitch - thanks for giving us your first hand reporting. As usual, always great!



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Click on the link to send me an email -----> Walter
120 nights at sea completed... 15 more nights booked



-----------------------------------------------------
04 MAR 2006 - Holland America Westerdam (Cat. D) - 8 days - Western Caribbean
01 MAR 2007 - Celebrity Century (CC) - 4 days - Western Caribbean
28 MAR 2011 - Celebrity Millennium (Cat. 9) - 11 days - Eastern & Southern Caribbean
27 NOV 2011 - Norwegian Pearl (Haven) - 7 days - Western Caribbean
16 APR 2012 - Celebrity Millennium (C3) - 5 days - Western Caribbean
03 NOV 2012 - Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas (JS) - 15 days - Malaga to San Juan Transatlantic Crossing
01 NOV 2013 - Celebrity Reflection (AS) - 15 days - Rome to Miami Transatlantic Crossing
23 FEB 2014 - Norwegian Epic (Haven) - 7 days - Western Caribbean
05 NOV 2014 - Celebrity Constellation (A2) - 16 days - Rome to Fort Lauderdale Transatlantic Crossing
28 NOV 2015 - Celebrity Constellation (CC) - 9 days - Eastern Caribbean R/T from Fort Lauderdale
24 FEB 2016 - Norwegian Epic (Haven) - 11 days - Western Mediterranean R/T from Barcelona
26 NOV 2017 - Celebrity Silhouette (SV) - 12 days - Eastern Caribbean R/T from Fort Lauderdale
09 OCT 2018 - Celebrity Infinity (C2) - 15 days - San Diego to Fort Lauderdale Panama Canal Transit
#36
172 Posts
Joined May 2004
Originally posted by bigbeergut
There's no way it doesn't take away from existing choices in the buffet. Iff a station has been duplicated then it's because the items in that station are in high demand. Eliminating stations that are duplicated is probably the last option. Eliminating existing options will reduce the choices for the majority of the passengers. I wonder if the Retreat area with the new Edge Revolution will have a lot of vegan choices.
Perhaps some of these choices were included in different areas of the buffet, and just gathered together and labeled as vegan. It certainly saves people a lot of time in line. For those who are avoiding meat and dairy in their meals it is no longer necessary to ask what ingredients are included in a dish. For example, many people are allergic to shellfish, vegan dishes are safe for them to eat.
#37
Shalimar FL
5,740 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by bigbeergut
There's no way it doesn't take away from existing choices in the buffet. Iff a station has been duplicated then it's because the items in that station are in high demand. Eliminating stations that are duplicated is probably the last option. Eliminating existing options will reduce the choices for the majority of the passengers. I wonder if the Retreat area with the new Edge Revolution will have a lot of vegan choices.
Bigbeergut guy, I think you are reaching a bit. If something is popular and is duplicated, and for some reason they remove one for a vegan plate, then when the remaiing one gets close to being depleted, the attentive waitstaff replace it, and that won’t adversely impact the ‘majority’ and meets other people’s requirements, and, as pointed out before, a different option will be available for all, including us meat eaters. That’s my experience with popular and ‘exotic’ choices. When it’s low, it’s refilled. Fixed!

Den
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Crystal Symphony-W Caribbean 15 Dec 2018
Carnival Inspiration - West Coast 28 Dec 2018 Family Cruise
B2B: Celebrity Edge-E Carribean 24 Mar 2019/W Carribean 31 Mar 2019
Viking Alruna - Rhine Gateway Amsterdam to Basel 11 May 2019
#38
14,879 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
I agree. Big beer gut guy is reaching. We are talking about the evening buffet in Oceanview. It’s not like lunch we’re nearly every table is occupied and people are racing around searching for food. This is the dinner buffet. They sometimes don’t even have every station open at dinner. Because there isn’t that much demand. There was no negative impact for other diners. For instance the corn and rice were actually duplicated, available at both the vegan and the hot entrée stations. I will try to go again tonight for further pictures.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
...…..1038 Days At Sea...….(844 on Celebrity)...and I'm counting all 7 days on the ill-fated Millennium even though my cruise was shortened!)
#39
Ontario - Canada
1,935 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Originally posted by cruisestitch
I agree. Big beer gut guy is reaching. We are talking about the evening buffet in Oceanview. It’s not like lunch we’re nearly every table is occupied and people are racing around searching for food. This is the dinner buffet. They sometimes don’t even have every station open at dinner. Because there isn’t that much demand. There was no negative impact for other diners. For instance the corn and rice were actually duplicated, available at both the vegan and the hot entrée stations. I will try to go again tonight for further pictures.
Thank you cruisestitch for keeping us posted. It is much appreciated and this was great news for me today to read this.

Still amused of how this may be perceived as “taking away” from those that consume animals. This small dedicated station at the Dinner Buffet is what? 5% of the entire menu being offered?

Again - many, many thanks for the news and sincere gratitude to Celebrity for recognizing the need for said station.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
______________________________________________
Personal Travelogues (click individual links, below):
Coming Soon! New Zealand (=X= Solstice Dec 2018) * S. Caribbean (=X= Summit Nov 2018)
#40
1,043 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by bigbeergut
I'm not sure I agree. The Oceanview Cafe is fairly well organized and utilized, space cannot be created. Something has been eliminated. Adding sections for small groups takes away choices for the large majority of cruisers. Maybe the people who need or want glue free, vegan, etc should follow Bo's advice and simply request a day early.
I am not Vegan but I do feel that those who are should have some choices too. They should not have to make food choices in advance. The Vegan station is for everyone so how can the items there take away from the choices “the large majority” is making? I have eaten in the OV buffet many times and I have never encountered insufficient choices nor do I anticipate that I will now that a Vegan station has been added.