Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:40 PM.
Boiling Springs, SC
93 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
i am considering my first solo cruise. What is the best cruise line for a solo senior that is somewhat an introvert?

Thanks.
flushing, ny
6,227 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
NCL has a nightly pre-dinner get-together for all solo cruiser's, that is especially well attended on their newer ships that have a Studio Lounge. They have a member of their cruise activities staff host the event, make introduction's, conduct games, and arrange for group dinner's in specialty restaurants, as well as a sign up sheet for shore excursion's. They make an effort to draw shy or introverted attendee's into the activities. Solo's of all ages attend. It is posted on their daily...
At the end of the hour, all are invited to the main dining room to share large tables.
In my experience, no other line comes even close to matching this...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
getting there is half the fun!
coming back is the other half!
Lynchburg, VA
5,071 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
You've been a member here for six years. What cruise lines have you enjoyed in the past? I would suggest doing them again, especially if you have "status" on any of them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Solo Allure Review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1927866
My Solo Grandeur Review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1952859
My Solo Carnival Sunshine Review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2049021
My Solo MSC Divina Review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...7#post44302217
My Live MSC Divina Review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2352075
My Live HAL Maasdam Alaska Review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2396680

Jacksonville, FL USA
48,772 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
I would say it depends on a lot of things........there is no one set answer.......I have been cruising solo since 2003 and
99% of them have been on Celebrity. I have also been on a River Cruise with AMA Waterways and most recently I
have been able to try a Silversea cruise, which is considered a "luxury line"........I will say I have enjoyed ALL of my
cruises........Celebrity, for what they offer, has always been good....(in my opinion). The River Cruise is a different
genre.......LOVED IT.......only about 150 people.........fabulous food, tours, service,......really great. And Silversea?
Well, that was totally AWESOME.......I know it is quite a bit more $$ than mainstream but it was so worth it
(in my opinion).

Now, there are many folks on here who sail on NCL and from everything I have read, they love it.....so it is up to you
to read/research and see if you get a feel for the different offerings. I am in the group that doesn't really care if there
are other solo's on board. As long as folks are friendly, that matters more to me that a persons marital status. Single,
divorced, widow/married............that is just not a priority for me.

Hope you decide to give it a try...........I love cruising solo and am researching my next one.......I will be 60 in March
and trying to figure out which cruise to take for that milestone
107 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
So glad to hear you enjoyed Silversea. I'm trying my first Silversea solo in March and hoping for the same. I usually cruise on Royal Caribbean, but decided it's time for a change. Fingers crossed for some friendly passengers.
Jacksonville, FL USA
48,772 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Originally posted by mudslide mama
So glad to hear you enjoyed Silversea. I'm trying my first Silversea solo in March and hoping for the same. I usually cruise on Royal Caribbean, but decided it's time for a change. Fingers crossed for some friendly passengers.
Good morning........I hope you LOVE IT as much as I did......I wrote a review if you want to read it. It is in the
Member review section. I met MANY friendly passengers........and the staff/crew are encouraged to interact with
the guests as well. It is a much different atmosphere than main stream cruising.

What ship and itinerary are you sailing?
107 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
I will look for your review today. Looking forward to reading another solo's perspective. I am sailing on the Silver Muse 13 night caribbean from Fort Lauderdale to San Juan on March 22nd. I'm looking forward to it, but a little nervous as well. I think it will be very different from what I'm used to, but that may be a good thing. Thanks for sharing your experience!
Canada
126 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by Lois R
I am in the group that doesn't really care if there
are other solo's on board. As long as folks are friendly, that matters more to me that a persons marital status. Single,
divorced, widow/married............that is just not a priority for me.
Lois I think you may be missing the point on why some posters appear to be asking about other solo cruisers. Since solo doesn't necessarily mean any specific marital status. From my reading a lot of married people will vacation alone for numerous reasons.

I have found on my past cruises, that most people are friendly enough but not necessarily interested in having someone new joining them in an activity, meal or to just sit and gab over a drink or coffee. So to find those people that would embrace widening their circle of those they came with isn't that easy, especially on a ship of 4000 people. At least not in my experience. But I feel if people are going to a solo gathering, they are probably more open to wanting others to join them for certain activities. Granted not all solo travellers want that either, since some from an already hectic busy life are just looking for quiet and solitiude but that being the case they probably wouldn't be attending a gathering that has a main purpose of introducing other cruisers. So besides the solo gathering and the CC meet and greet, I don't recall any other gathering of people at the beginning of a cruise.

So to sum it up, some of us that are researching to find the best way to meet others on the ship that will embrace a stranger as just another friend they haven't met yet.

Since my husband has passed, I live a life of quiet and solitude. Not really what I'm looking for in a vacation. I'd love to be able to laugh and enjoy other people's company.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

NCL Dawn 2-21-2009
NCL Star 2-21-2011
Carnival Glory 6-20-2013
NCL Dawn 2-9-2014
Jacksonville, FL USA
48,772 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Hi, my condolences to you.........hope you are doing well.

As to missing the point? Nope I am not, I am just giving my opinion on my sailings........I realize many people do not
think the same way as I do.........each of us has to do what is best for ourselves. I have lived on my own for nearly
all of my life......I am quite outgoing and so I was just relaying my own feelings on things. I have met many couples
over the years and have dined with them, became friends with them as well. I am not opposed to meeting other solo
cruisers but it is not something I go searching for......but again, I know from reading many of these threads over the years,
I am in the minority and that is ok too....oh, I enjoy laughter and interaction with people too....it is just in my case,
it doesn't really matter to me if those people are solo ...and if we happen to meet on a cruise ship and you say hi, I will say hi back
Minnesota
1,655 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
I am also more like Lois, I am an outgoing person and enjoy meeting other people when I travel. It doesn't make any difference if they are couples, solos, or groups of people traveling together, I just enjoy meeting others. It is nice to visit with others and learn about different areas and different people. I have made friends on many of my cruises that I would not have been able to meet if I hadn't been willing to just say hello. Most people are friendly and enjoy meeting others as well. Sure, there are a few that don't want to meet anyone, and that is OK too. Everyone should just be comfortable with who they are and simply enjoy their journey. Happy sailing.
flushing, ny
6,227 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Originally posted by Skubi
Lois I think you may be missing the point on why some posters appear to be asking about other solo cruisers. Since solo doesn't necessarily mean any specific marital status. From my reading a lot of married people will vacation alone for numerous reasons.

I have found on my past cruises, that most people are friendly enough but not necessarily interested in having someone new joining them in an activity, meal or to just sit and gab over a drink or coffee. So to find those people that would embrace widening their circle of those they came with isn't that easy, especially on a ship of 4000 people. At least not in my experience. But I feel if people are going to a solo gathering, they are probably more open to wanting others to join them for certain activities. Granted not all solo travellers want that either, since some from an already hectic busy life are just looking for quiet and solitiude but that being the case they probably wouldn't be attending a gathering that has a main purpose of introducing other cruisers. So besides the solo gathering and the CC meet and greet, I don't recall any other gathering of people at the beginning of a cruise.

So to sum it up, some of us that are researching to find the best way to meet others on the ship that will embrace a stranger as just another friend they haven't met yet.

Since my husband has passed, I live a life of quiet and solitude. Not really what I'm looking for in a vacation. I'd love to be able to laugh and enjoy other people's company.
One way to meet people on a cruise, is to participate in as many shipboard activities as possible, such as trivia, deck games, etc...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
getting there is half the fun!
coming back is the other half!
Minnesota
1,655 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by Lois R
Hey Neil......any cruises booked?
Hi Lois, I leave on the Nieuw Amsterdam in two weeks on the 4th. It is just for a week and I have been to all the ports, so it will just be for some R&R as I need a break from work. There is nothing more relaxing for me then to spend a week at sea. Laying in a supply of books already so I can just sit back and do nothing but enjoy. I am looking forward to the trip. Neil
Jacksonville, FL USA
48,772 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Originally posted by travelnap
Hi Lois, I leave on the Nieuw Amsterdam in two weeks on the 4th. It is just for a week and I have been to all the ports, so it will just be for some R&R as I need a break from work. There is nothing more relaxing for me then to spend a week at sea. Laying in a supply of books already so I can just sit back and do nothing but enjoy. I am looking forward to the trip. Neil
Sounds wonderful for sure.......have a great cruise!
Palm Springs, Calif
41,391 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
I recently lost my husband this past September nearing the end of our TA and we almost made it to 49 years, I did book my 2nd Solo for 2019 on the Emerald Princess. Our daughter emailed me asking to join me to Hawaii so now we will have a Mother & Daughter cruise together. I love to socialize and make new friends so found it easy to travel solo during my first time. Friends are also on this cruise which will make it easier. I told myself, I needed to just relax from the traumatic experience and what a better way then to cruise to Hawaii & back with our daughter.

I also found being with our friends and not shutting myself up was the best therapy for me.

Gay
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email: GLea472968 at aol dot com
Alternate : Lea dot [email protected] dot between the Lea&gaye

Emerald Roll Call https://1drv.ms/x/s!AvfqBeEKG865gS9gpwAxZ30RRIDl

Excel Oasis Spreadsheet: https://1drv.ms/x/s!AvfqBeEKG865gSu7t7VVj8k3h1jG
Jacksonville, FL USA
48,772 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Originally posted by travelnap
Thanks Lois, I plan on doing nothing but relaxing so it should be a good trip. Neil
Hey Neil, how was your cruise?
Minnesota
1,655 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Hi Lois,
It was nice. weather was good, and I caught up with my reading and relaxing for awhile. I did not do any excursions as I had been to all the islands before and there was nothing new I wanted to see. The day I left Minnesota I dodged a snow storm here so that was good.

I always fly in a day early so the next morning in Fort Lauderdale I was watching the weather channel on TV and they were showing pictures of the cars sliding into the ditch up here, so I enjoyed missing that. Then when I got back to MN the weather was above average for a couple of weeks, but now it looks like winter is here for good. Temps below 20 with wind chills below 0. Well at least I had a week of 80's to get me through the winter up here.

A week at sea is always better than a week of work, anytime.

Neil
20,568 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by Skubi

I have to agree with Lois -- but as she said, everyone is different. It seems to me that some solos feel a little hesitant about meeting others who aren't solo, thinking they won't be welcomed. But I haven't found that to be the case. Particularly if I make it somewhat clear that I'm not looking to be joined at the hip with them for the extent of the cruise, I merely plan to enjoy having a dinner conversation with them, or a trivia game or whatever.

Your point about the number of people is a good one though. I've found it much easier as a solo to meet others on a smaller ship than on a larger one, simply because you tend to run into the same people -- and you recognize them because there are only a few hundred instead of a few thousand onboard.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Wherever the wind takes me I travel as a visitor. (Horace)