Another Port Change San Juan now Cana (Punta Cana), Dominican Republic

aotmc

I'm on a November 26 out of Ft. Lauderdale sailing the Eastern Caribbean. Our San Juan call is now Cap Cana, DR. (Other change is St. Croix replaced St. Maarten). I'm still cautious that there may be even further changes... the good news is I'll be happy no matter where we land as I haven't been to much of the Caribbean.

Thought I'd share and see if anyone has travelled to the area before? I have not and it seems through searches that this is a newer cruise stop.

It is always nice to see new ports.

St Croix - we were on the Maasdam a few years ago for this port. Arrive late due to some engine problems. The tour we were to do was cancelled due to lack of buses. The buses were re-assigned to NCL as they got there early and had more people signed up for tours. As a result we were only able to walk around the port area.

Dominican Republic -- did an island tour to learn about the place. For us this was a tender port. The next time we were there, we had a different tender place -- a longer boat ride to get ashore. It was very windy so we decided to stay on the ship.

Also got same email...we are on Eurodam...Nov 12...guess I need to cancel our tours in St. Maarten and San Juan....sad we won't get to San Juan...but expected this....is Punta Cana a tender port?

Also got same email...we are on Eurodam...Nov 12...guess I need to cancel our tours in St. Maarten and San Juan....sad we won't get to San Juan...but expected this....is Punta Cana a tender port?

We have Punta Cana on our itinerary for January and it's listed as a tender port. Sorry you will miss St Maarten and San Juan. St Maarten is one of my favorite islands.

Today is the day HAL said they would update 2018 cruises, but it looks like they're still sorting out 2017. I'll understand if they have to change ports for our cruise, although I'll be disappointed if we don't get to Guadeloupe. I am more curious than worried to see what changes we'll get.

Also received today:

ITINERARY CHANGE NOTIFICATION:

As we continue to monitor the recovery efforts in the Caribbean, it has become necessary to make additional port adjustments on the Oct. 28 Nieuw Amsterdam sailing. The ship will now call at Nassau (replaces Grand Turk); Cap Cana,Dominican Republic (replaces San Juan); and St. Croix (replaces St. Thomas).

We have endeavored to find similar ports with our alterations and are confident our guests will still have a wonderful Caribbean cruise experience.

As a company we continue to work closely with the islands most impacted and look forward to returning when they are ready to receive guests.

What ship are you on and how did you get notified about the substitution for San Juan?

I logged into my HAL account on their website and it was listed under my itenerary. I haven't gotten an official email yet, that came a few days later for my other port change direct from HAL. I booked through a big box store TA. Who sent an email Days after HAL did last port change. As others noted this is the Eurodam. :cool:

We got an email this morning from HAL with an itinerary change for our Nov 25th cruise (Nieuw Amsterdam). San Juan, PR has been replaced with Samana, DR and St Thomas has been replaced with St Croix, USVI

We are on the Oct. 29th 10 day Koningsdam sailing. Just checked today's HAL update and we now have also lost San Juan and going to Cap Cana (Punta Cana). We now have 2 Dominican Republic ports before heading down to all 3 of the ABC Islands. We are not surprised losing San Juan and have been there many times. Has been so sad to see all the damage. Last I checked the ship schedule for our stop at Amber Cove we were going to be the only ship. Now I doubt it with all the changes being made.

We received our HA email this morning about these changes as well. We're on the Nov. 11 cruise. Wondering how far in the tender goes for Dominican R. My husband gets very sea sick so that may be a day we'll have to stay on the ship. Hoping it's not too far. Last Jan. Feb on the N Westerdam we couldn't go to Grand Cayman as the water was too rough and the Captain said it wasn't safe.

We received our HA email this morning about these changes as well. We're on the Nov. 11 cruise. Wondering how far in the tender goes for Dominican R. My husband gets very sea sick so that may be a day we'll have to stay on the ship. Hoping it's not too far. Last Jan. Feb on the N Westerdam we couldn't go to Grand Cayman as the water was too rough and the Captain said it wasn't safe.

Which DR port? If it's Samana, it's a pretty long tender ride.

We are on the Oct. 29th 10 day Koningsdam sailing. Just checked today's HAL update and we now have also lost San Juan and going to Cap Cana (Punta Cana). We now have 2 Dominican Republic ports before heading down to all 3 of the ABC Islands. We are not surprised losing San Juan and have been there many times. Has been so sad to see all the damage. Last I checked the ship schedule for our stop at Amber Cove we were going to be the only ship. Now I doubt it with all the changes being made.

We now have 2 stops in the Dominican Republic (Amber Cove and Samana). I've been to San Juan a couple of times and it's one of my favourite ports in the Caribbean to visit. So sad about the damage and the people it has affected. I'm also wondering if some of these ports are going to be very crowded. Oh well, I won't let it ruin my vacation!! It's much better being on a cruise ship than stuck in an office cube! :D

Dec. 24-31 Eurodam still shows San Juan, PR, but the day is young.

As does the Eurodam December 10-17 sailing. But I'm anticipating a change. I've been to San Juan; I've never been to Punta Cana, so I'll take whatever I get. Have I mentioned, I have a Lido Cabana?! (I'm very excited about that cabana.)

Got email today from TA:

"port adjustments on the Nov. 4 Oosterdam sailing. The ship

will now call at Cap Cana, Dominican Republic (replaces San Juan); and St. Croix (replaces St. Thomas)"

Date Itinerary Arrival Departure

SAT 04NOV17 Sail from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US 5:00pm

SUN 05NOV17 Sea Day

MON 06NOV17 Amber Cove, Dominican Republic 10:00am 6:00pm

TUE 07NOV17 Cap Cana (Punta Cana), Dominican Re 1,2 8:00am 5:00pm

WED 08NOV17 Frederiksted, St. Croix, U.S. Virgi 8:00am 5:00pm

THU 09NOV17 Sea Day

FRI 10NOV17 Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 1,2 8:00am 4:00pm

SAT 11NOV17 Debark Ship Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US 7:00am

NOTES

1 Tender Required

2 Wheelchair Access Limited

I am on the "Eurodam" 11/16-12/10. Port change to Cap Cana (Punta Cana) - are these two different places?

Cap Cana is the port where the tenders go. It's a marina. Punta Cana is the nearest town. It covers a pretty long stretch of beach, and Cap Cana is within Punta Cana. It has always been on our January itinerary, so I checked it out. The big thing to do seems to be going to the beach.