Do butlers do ironing?

TucsonRick

Downy does get wrinkles out but clothes need to be pressed to get a nice crease. They run a special the first night or so and you can send items out for press only for half price.

I totally agree, we always take advantage of the half price pressing on the first day. You can’t beat spending $2.00 a shirt and enjoying the cruise.

I really think the special 50% off pressing on embarkation day is really the best if you're that fussy about how you're apparel appears. I guess I've been lucky, due the way I pack and the clothes I pack, I've not needed more than a spritz of Down Wrinkle Release and a few minutes in a hot steamy shower room to have my clothes look spiffy.

I'm not the fussiest traveler but not a messy one either so... send your clothes for a quick pressing at 50% off or bring some DWR and use the clothes line readily available in your shower stall.

Stop worrying and enjoy your cruise... ;)

I guess I should have asked if the butler would arrange for pressing to be done. It has been suggested on these boards that one tips the butler $10/pp per day. If that is the case, then what do they do for that money?

Some on these boards have indicated that I should not dare to ask the butler to do anything because they are too busy. How silly is that?

Yes, I am in a Penthouse Suite or I would not be asking about the butler's duties.

We just got off H5 on Bliss and I was allowed to keep iron and iron board as long as I wanted. Ironed everything that needed to be so we were done for the rest of the week. Also brought a small portable clothes steamer, and yes it passed through security with no issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I guess I should have asked if the butler would arrange for pressing to be done. It has been suggested on these boards that one tips the butler $10/pp per day. If that is the case, then what do they do for that money?

Some on these boards have indicated that I should not dare to ask the butler to do anything because they are too busy. How silly is that?

Yes, I am in a Penthouse Suite or I would not be asking about the butler's duties.

Our butler served one breakfast in our room and checked in on use a few times each day. He brought snacks in the afternoon and asked if we needed anything at all. He refilled the nespresso pods each day and added water to the machine.

My husband tipped him about $140.00 for the week. Honestly, I thought he should have given that much to the room steward who worked so much harder.

They are not Butlers. They are food runners with a fancy name for the sake of marketing expensive suites.

If they were actual Butlers, requesting something be ironed would be a total non-issue and reasonable request.

But have no fear, your trusty Butler will probably be able to run and get an iron, then deliver to your room so you can do it all yourself. Maybe he'll watch and keep your company.

Edited by BNBR

If we have wrinkle issues when unpacking, we request iron and ironing board. Might take 30 minutes to press clothes.

I wouldn't ask butler to press clothes, unpack bags or draw my bath water. I enjoy being pampered but some things are a little over the top.

Most every thing I wear is permanent press, so usually not a problem.

If we have wrinkle issues when unpacking, we request iron and ironing board. Might take 30 minutes to press clothes.

I wouldn't ask butler to press clothes, unpack bags or draw my bath water. I enjoy being pampered but some things are a little over the top.

Most every thing I wear is permanent press, so usually not a problem.

Funny you mention that. I always used to chuckle at the menu of bath and beverage options your butler could prepare for you... do they even do that anymore? I didnt see the menu on our last cruise. I wonder if they just did away with it since maybe nobody took advantage of it?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

We just used the first day pressing service on the Getaway. We told our Butler that we needed the suit, dress shirt, and my DW’s dress for our anniversary dinner back by the next evening. He had them back to us by around 10 AM the next morning. Cost was around $8 for all three, much less than we pay here in our home town. They came to us on new plastic hangars, with paper inserts and in plastic dry cleaning bags. Very professional.

Would a butler have time to iron clothes??

This is literally a major part of a butlers job. It's quite concerning that NCL calls food runners "butlers" in an effort to mislead and con their potential customers.

Would they have time to iron clothes? Who knows. But they should.

If not, how can I get wrinkles out of my clothes after unpacking?

Rick

Our butler offered to do our ironing on the first night as he was busy unpacking our stuff for us. He said it would be his pleasure..we didnt take him up on it though..

we did request he take our over-sized in suite bath towels and warm them in the dryer on the ship and present them to us right when we exit the soaker tub (which he did) ... my wife although thought it was a bit uncomfortable having another man in the bathroom holding warm towels for us..but she said she got used to it..lol

Our butler offered to do our ironing on the first night as he was busy unpacking our stuff for us. He said it would be his pleasure..we didnt take him up on it though..

we did request he take our over-sized in suite bath towels and warm them in the dryer on the ship and present them to us right when we exit the soaker tub (which he did) ... my wife although thought it was a bit uncomfortable having another man in the bathroom holding warm towels for us..but she said she got used to it..lol

Our butler was in the shower with my wife when I got back from the pool bar. Was that not normal butler treatment for suite guests??

This is literally a major part of a butlers job. It's quite concerning that NCL calls food runners "butlers" in an effort to mislead and con their potential customers.

Would they have time to iron clothes? Who knows. But they should.

Actually, no. Taking care of clothes is literally part of a valet's job, not a butler's. PG Wodehouse's Jeeves was a valet, not a butler, though "If the call comes, he can buttle with the best of them." Traditionally, the butler was the servant in charge of the wine (bottler, get it?).

Funny you mention that. I always used to chuckle at the menu of bath and beverage options your butler could prepare for you... do they even do that anymore? I didnt see the menu on our last cruise. I wonder if they just did away with it since maybe nobody took advantage of it?

Not sure what you meant by beverage, but the bath menu was still available on the Breakaway this past April. I thought it was kind of amusing.

We asked the butler on our last cruise about this and he said they don't iron for guests. Then he stated because they may damage clothing. He suggested we either send our clothes out for pressing or he would bring us an iron and ironing broad. We choose the do it yourself method. He left them for us for a couple of days.

Contrary to some previous posts, butlers do much more than deliver food. And while they aren't standing at attention in the hallway for guests, they will do a number of things for you other than bring afternoon snacks and take care of the coffee machine. We're not huge users of butler services when we stay in a suite or the Haven but have used them to pick up packages from the gift shop to the cabin when we're out for the night, set up a the cabin to host a few guests (e.g., plate some snacks we'd bought, bring in and set up glassware & a small bar), put our names on the list for dining and bring up the pager, set the table and serve breakfast, take up our desserts from restaurants when we couldn't cram them down). I think they're a nice part of the experience when we occasionally splurge on a suite.

When on the GEM last Spring, during our CC M&G cabin crawl, one of the guests had a Garden Villa Suite (which was the nicest cabin I’ve seen on any cruise ship). They had the butler host a group of about 15 of us....complete with serving snacks and drinks.

My Butler on my recent Getaway cruise actually carried my luggage for me to the cabin as I was having drinks at the Haven Bar. In addition to all the other things, like serving breakfast, bringing food, snacks, drinks to the cabin whenever I ordered them.

They don’t iron. But they will pick up and drop off your laundry....even if it’s only for pressing.

I second the Downy Wrinkle Release. I used some in preparation for this last cruise and was absolutely amazed at the results. I don't know HOW it works but it does!!

I bring a small empty spray bottle, fill it with water and a dryer sheet like Bounce and it works great.

Not sure what you meant by beverage, but the bath menu was still available on the Breakaway this past April. I thought it was kind of amusing.

When we were on BA they had a tacky little card by the tub with various options of items like flowers and champagne with highest one at $500 (or $499).