A cautionary tale for Royal Caribbean cruisers...

This is my public service announcement to those of you who plan on visiting Labadee, Haiti while on your Royal Caribbean cruise.

You see these things pictured below? They are waterproof, they go around your neck, and you can put your sea pass, money, and camera in them. They cost about $5 and I saw them in the ship gift shop.

AAA_zps15be4816.jpg

Please, BUY ONE OF THESE AND USE IT when you go to Labadee.

I did not buy one of these. I have been to Labadee before, and I knew to pack light. Just a t-shirt, about $30, sea pass cards, and my phone (which I have been using as my camera all along). That's it. I left my belongings in my son's bright red backpack at the edge of my lounge chair, which was 5 feet away from me. Mistake.

We were among the first to leave the ship, and we hustled to Columbus Cove beach to get loungers on that beach. Our kids had 11am tickets for the water park, so staying on that beach would make it easy to watch them.

We were the first ones on the beach (other than a Haitian band setting up) and we had 4 chairs set up between the band and the water's edge. Ahhh... we were the only ones there, at least for now. How nice!

The water was GORGEOUS...sandy all the way out, calm, and warm.

After snapping a photo, I set my phone down on my lounger to take a quick dip. My husband went to the bathroom. The kids and I were in the water for about 5 minutes, and I told my husband to take a photo of us. But: the phone was gone. GONE. Other than our family of four, the ONLY people who were there were the 4-5 men setting up their band. I knew immediately what had happened. I turned the backpack inside and out, checked the sand- but I knew. I had left it right on the chair, and I just knew.

My husband told me to find security right away while he continued to look. I immediately looked around for the first cruise ship employee I could find- a photographer- and told him to please call security. He said, "I can't." I asked, "What do you mean, you can't? My phone was just stolen, and I need help, please." He said, "Sorry, you need to find someone else. I'm only here to take pictures." (Wow, that's great service coming from someone wearing a RC nametag.)

So this was my first problem: a ship employee that could care less. My husband went off to find someone and came back with the "security" man. I told him my phone had been stolen- he immediately marched over to the men setting up the band and began speaking to them in Creole. They all talked and laughed and pointed at me. It was VERY uncomfortable. The man came back and said, "Sorry lady, I don't know." He spoke very broken English.

My husband was furious. He went back to the ship to get someone who actually could a) speak English and b) would try to somehow help us. I brought my kids over to the water park (they had tickets) and after they swam away, I sat on the pier and cried. I was just devastated that my pictures were gone. My kids' first cruise- 5 days of pictures- my daughter's 10th birthday- gone. I could have cared less about the phone itself, but the pictures were irreplacable. The young man supervising the water park area asked if I was ok, and I explained the situation to him. He said there is theft all over Labadee...even the water trampolines from the water park get stolen overnight! (In the morning, locals drag them back in their boats asking for a "reward" for them.) He offered to call real security, from the ship, for me. I told him my husband had already gone to try to find them. He said, "Well, I'm calling too. Someone should be here to help you." He was so kind, comforting, and wonderful and I wish I had gotten his name!

I went back to the band area, and what do you know, the "security" man was still "hanging" with them, talking and laughing. I went up to told him, "Should someone happen to FIND my phone, I would like to offer a $200 reward- cash. On the spot. In fact, they can even keep the phone- I would just like the memory card inside of it. Please, if you could encourage your friends here to LOOK for it, perhaps one of them could find it, and I will reward them."

I went back to my chair and by this time, several passengers were set up in the area. One nice lady saw how sad I was and came up to help me. We went through (again) the backpack, the towels, the sand near the chairs... everything. I removed everything from the backpack and even wrung out the towels, the backpack itself, our tshirts, thinking it possibly had gotten twisted up in them. Nope...it was just...gone.

Next thing you know, Michelle, a rep from the cruise line, who supervises Labadee, came to talk to me. She said that the natives who work there are very honest, would never steal...and get this, she said: "I'm sorry to tell you the theft was probably from a fellow passenger." I explained to her that my family of four were the ONLY people on the beach when this happened, other than the men setting up the band. She promised to leave a golf cart waiting at the ship for my husband so he wouldn't have to walk back, and she promised to keep talking to security and she would touch base with me later. (Neither of those things happened.)

An hour later, got my kids out of the water park and went back to our chairs. At this point, I had to make a conscious effort to "let go" of my extreme disappointment so as not to ruin the day - or the rest of the vacation. I felt sick to my stomach for having been so stupid and trusting.

I had to CHOOSE to let go of the incident, to let go of the awful thought that my photos (of our first family cruise, my daughter's 10th birthday on the ship, of the stingrays and the jamaica beach and of RCCL Fan's photos of Portofinos that I promised) were gone. I had to choose to get over it and NOT let it ruin my day - or my entire vacation. In other words, I had to totally fake it. I told the kids, "It is what it is, we're not going to let it ruin our vacation..." but inside I was just sick, and so angry with myself for being so careless.

When my husband returned, he was very upset. He said that the staff on the ship were totally unhelpful, saying there was nothing they could do, other than offer to call my phone (which went straight to voicemail even though I had left the phone ON with the ringer ON). My husband asked for a member of the ship's security to accompany him back to the scene, perhaps ask a few questions and to take a report. They refused, saying the local security men could handle that. (Despite speaking very broken English and the fact that they had already laughed at us.) My husband also asked the local security guy if he was going to do anything, take our names, fill out an incident report- anything? "No mon" was the reply we got. "What is the procedure in place when a theft occurs here?" my husband asked him. We got a blank stare in return- he didn't understand.

So, we're going to get over it. Right? We're over it. We're moving on with our vacation. We are going to have FUN, darn it. So the four of us spent a few minutes floating in the water. After I little while I got out to dry off and walked up, and sitting on my chair, on my son's red backpack was my phone. RIGHT THERE. I freaked out- I thought I was hallucinating and called my husband over. He told us to immediately pick everything up, all our belongings, because we were leaving that area. Which we did.

I am extremely grateful that I got my phone back- I still can't believe it. And I imagine if I had stayed in that area long enough, the "security" man would have come find me for his reward. (I will also add that my phone had been turned off, and there was no record of the missed call from the cruise ship in its history.)

The sad part is, as we walked back to get on the ship, the agent who said she would check in with us later didn't even recognize us. She just said, "welcome aboard everyone" and waved us past. No one from the cruise line checked in or followed up. We were really disgusted with that.

The takeaway: PLEASE, please, please...protect your belongings. Something as stupid as a lost phone can ruin your day. I have learned my lesson! I hope this will prevent other cruisers from going through the same thing. The second takeaway: Royal Caribbean has no procedure in place when a theft occurs, no incident reporting, nothing. Very disappointing to be treated that way, and to have had our problem swept under the rug. We did not hear back from them again about it.

(This story is excerpted from my full review, which is "Indpendence 6-day review with pictures" on this board if you care to read the whole thing.)

Wow! I can only imagine that feeling. Unfortunately there are bad people out there. So glad you got your phone back. And, thanks for the advise. Although we are not going to Labadee, we will still get some of these for port days. I really like the fact that they are waterproof!

Thanks for sharing your story. I do hope that you forward it on to corporate so they can contact you for names of the people you dealt with. I always cringe when people say just put your stuff in your bag, no one will touch it or stick your stuff in a book. Those are the places they will look first.

We have one of the waterproof neck safes you posted but it won't hold a phone. Look into an aquapac. They are $20-30 depending on the size. We have one that my husband wears with our phone in it if we are doing an excursion that we will be in the water. For Labadee and Coco Cay, we just bring our waterproof camera, that can be stuck in a pocket.

I am glad you got your camera back and I think it was smart you got out of the area quickly.

Really sorry all this happened to you, but really. You obviously don't watch your things. You left the phone in plain site. Why?

And again you weren't watching your chairs when the phone appeared again

I left it, stupidly, in plain sight. Given that we were THE ONLY FOUR PEOPLE on the ENTIRE beach, I thought it would be okay to leave it there...and I was in the water about 7 feet away from the chair.

And I wasn't watching the chair when the phone reappeared because there was nothing of value left! Just a ratty backpack with some towels.

Thanks for your valuable contribution to the thread. :rolleyes:

Really sorry all this happened to you, but really. You obviously don't watch your things. You left the phone in plain site. Why?

And again you weren't watching your chairs when the phone appeared again

I agree with this. I'm sorry you lost your phone but you did leave it out. You're very lucky to get it back.

Thanks for sharing your story. I do hope that you forward it on to corporate so they can contact you for names of the people you dealt with. I always cringe when people say just put your stuff in your bag, no one will touch it or stick your stuff in a book. Those are the places they will look first.

We have one of the waterproof neck safes you posted but it won't hold a phone. Look into an aquapac. They are $20-30 depending on the size. We have one that my husband wears with our phone in it if we are doing an excursion that we will be in the water. For Labadee and Coco Cay, we just bring our waterproof camera, that can be stuck in a pocket.

I am glad you got your camera back and I think it was smart you got out of the area quickly.

Ironically, I own an aquapac that I put my phone in while kayaking! Stupid me...I will bring it next time.

I'm sharing the story in hopes it will help others.

I agree with this. I'm sorry you lost your phone but you did leave it out. You're very lucky to get it back.

I should have added, there is no need to add comments about how stupid I was to leave it out. I clearly know that. I didn't post the story so that people could criticize me. I did it to hopefully help others realize that a) it's not as safe as it appears, and b) you're on your own with the ship when it comes to the theft.

It sounds like you did the right thing laying on the guilt trip with the suspects. I think their conscious kicked in.

I do understand the ships take though. Thefts are very difficult and without any proof or witnesses, there isn't much they can do.

Your advice is well taken though.

I left it, stupidly, in plain sight. Given that we were THE ONLY FOUR PEOPLE on the ENTIRE beach, I thought it would be okay to leave it there...and I was in the water about 7 feet away from the chair.

And I wasn't watching the chair when the phone reappeared because there was nothing of value left! Just a ratty backpack with some towels.

Thanks for your valuable contribution to the thread. :rolleyes:

How long did you think there would be 4 people on the beach?

7 ft away from your phone on the chair? Sorry, hard to believe

I should have added, there is no need to add comments about how stupid I was to leave it out. I clearly know that. I didn't post the story so that people could criticize me. I did it to hopefully help others realize that a) it's not as safe as it appears, and b) you're on your own with the ship when it comes to the theft.

No need to get shirty. Even with beaches at home you should be careful with stuff.

It's not a bad idea to get a camera that will go in the water. That way you take valuables with you.

Ironically, I own an aquapac that I put my phone in while kayaking! Stupid me...I will bring it next time.

I'm sharing the story in hopes it will help others.

Thank you for your story and i am sorry your day was spoilt. I would have done exactly the same as you and presumed your thing would have been ok whilst you swam as it was so quite. As it was labadee i too would have felt safer leaving my things as you would perhaps leave them on a sunbed on deck. I am glad is returned. :p

Thanks for the cautionary tale. Even those of us who are experienced cruisers need to be reminded about the need for constant vigilance. So glad that things worked out, and that you got your phone and (more importantly) your pictures back. You put a lot of thought into writing this post and your review. You might want to take a few extra minutes to write or e-mail RC's corporate offices, to let them know. Not that they would necessarily do anything to compensate you for the trouble, but they do need to know that this happened. It's their island, their employees, and ultimately, their reputation on the line.

Thanks for the cautionary tale. Even those of us who are experienced cruisers need to be reminded about the need for constant vigilance. So glad that things worked out, and that you got your phone and (more importantly) your pictures back. You put a lot of thought into writing this post and your review. You might want to take a few extra minutes to write or e-mail RC's corporate offices, to let them know. Not that they would necessarily do anything to compensate you for the trouble, but they do need to know that this happened. It's their island, their employees, and ultimately, their reputation on the line.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I am going to contact corporate to let them know what happened. I'd also like to let them know about the employee who was working the water park, who immediately jumped on his radio and got the Labadee supervisor to come and talk to me. I wish I had gotten his name, but I know enough details about him that he can be identified.

I've done the same silly things and the worst part is I can never forgive myself. Forgive yourself, we all do dumb stuff!:o

The only thing of value we take is our underwater camera and that is with us at all times, in the water, everywhere. Money we put in the very container you prefaced with. If we need it.

A Lesson learned....is always valuable, you are a very lucky lady indeed. I once left my purse in a movie theater with $350 in it from a club meeting. I was lucky that day too and an honest theatre employee turned it in untouched. I'm much smarter about stuff like that these days;)

Guest maddycat
Wow! I can only imagine that feeling. Unfortunately there are bad people out there. So glad you got your phone back. And, thanks for the advise. Although we are not going to Labadee, we will still get some of these for port days. I really like the fact that they are waterproof!

Don't count on them being waterproof. I had one that leaked.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I am going to contact corporate to let them know what happened. I'd also like to let them know about the employee who was working the water park, who immediately jumped on his radio and got the Labadee supervisor to come and talk to me. I wish I had gotten his name, but I know enough details about him that he can be identified.

Good for you! :)

We try to practice careful ways.

We have a waterproof camera, and yes I would be upset if someone stole it, but, husband zips it in his bathing suit pocket........kinda like cargo pants.

Also fits in there sea pass cards and some small bills for tipping and puts these in a ziplock bag. The water proof containers you showed are a good idea also.

Thanks again for sharing your hardship.

Sea Ya!

That's crazy that they returned it. There was no one around that saw anyone put it back?

No, but by the time it was returned it was a good 90 min later, and the beach was very crowded. Also, the "security" guy was wandering around that beach the entire time, weaving through chairs. That is precisely why we left!

Archived