Solo Discrimination

Hello CC family,

I've been looking really hard the last couple of weeks at booking the Serenade either Sept 17 or 29 as a solo. A mock booking today via my TA's website comes up with the following:

•Sept 17 N-interior 2 people = $2964.44 total,

exact same cabin single adult = $3,661.69

•Sept 29 N-interior 2 people = $2,590.44,

same cabin single adult = $3,727.69

I emailed my TA asking if this was a glitch or not. Besides the rest of the interaction on the email, the bottom line is:

"Unfortunately, the cruise lines reserves the right to charge a single supplement rate of up to 120%."

Why in the hell can I not book for the same price as two adults??? :mad:

The second is one of the more extreme examples I've seen. Unless you're in love with RCI, I'd shop around and see; my MIL has cruised HAL in the past with better terms than that, but I have no idea what they're currently offering.

In short, the cruise line really counts on the "extras" to make money. Drinks, extra charge restaurants, excursions, gratuities, etc. Those all pretty much break down per person, not per cabin.

Not saying I like it, but it's a business. If they can put two in the cabin, sell twice as many lava flows, and have twice as many revenue opportunities, that's what they'll do.

Your double price Is way off! I did a mock booking on the rccl site for both dates and I get $3627 and $3837 respectively for 2 peeps in a cat. N. As long as you are talking about 2014. Im not sure where u got those prices. Try again :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

Your double price Is way off! I did a mock booking on the rccl site for both dates and I get $3627 and $3837 respectively for 2 peeps in a cat. N. As long as you are talking about 2014. Im not sure where u got those prices. Try again :)

Yep, Sept 2014..... Interesting, I just went thru mock bookings on RCL's website and I agree with you. Re-checked my TA's website, still at the prices I quoted so what gives? Just checked a couple of other TA's websites and they're closer to RCL's price....

So maybe my TA has an incredible group rate available only to double occupancy bookings? Grasping at straws, I still don't get it if that's the case.

Hello CC family,

I've been looking really hard the last couple of weeks at booking the Serenade either Sept 17 or 29 as a solo. A mock booking today via my TA's website comes up with the following:

I emailed my TA asking if this was a glitch or not. Besides the rest of the interaction on the email, the bottom line is:

"Unfortunately, the cruise lines reserves the right to charge a single supplement rate of up to 120%."

whitshel is correct. Something is "off" with your TA's quotes. RC's website shows you that the single price is twice the cruise fare plus one of the taxes.

RCCL is probably not fond of my spouse and I. On our last cruise with them, after subtracting the daily gratuity charges, I believe our total bill was less than $100 :O

Just finished a cruise and bill was $12.25:)

whitshel is correct. Something is "off" with your TA's quotes. RC's website shows you that the single price is twice the cruise fare plus one of the taxes.

I have found that sometimes the online TA's prices are not always up to date and when you contact them to book at the advertised price they tell you that it is no longer available.

It happened to me a number of times especially on a site that has a special singles page

Edited by badatz

Yep, Sept 2014..... Interesting, I just went thru mock bookings on RCL's website and I agree with you. Re-checked my TA's website, still at the prices I quoted so what gives? Just checked a couple of other TA's websites and they're closer to RCL's price....

So maybe my TA has an incredible group rate available only to double occupancy bookings? Grasping at straws, I still don't get it if that's the case.

Any chance the TA's price doesn't include gratuities, taxes, or port fees? :confused:

If my wife and I booked, and paid full in advance with Auto-Tips included, would they up the cost of my stateroom when she did not show up?:confused:

No, they would not increase the cost. The cabin is paid for regardless of how many show up.

Wouldn't pre pay tips anyway

Please... how do you do that?

I'm going for my 1st cruise ever in5 days :) on allure...

Thank you advance !!

Its rather easy if you prepay gratuities in advance and dont drink alcohol, eat in specialty dining or shop :)

Edited by ryano

The second is one of the more extreme examples I've seen. Unless you're in love with RCI, I'd shop around and see; my MIL has cruised HAL in the past with better terms than that, but I have no idea what they're currently offering.

In short, the cruise line really counts on the "extras" to make money. Drinks, extra charge restaurants, excursions, gratuities, etc. Those all pretty much break down per person, not per cabin.

Not saying I like it, but it's a business. If they can put two in the cabin, sell twice as many lava flows, and have twice as many revenue opportunities, that's what they'll do.

My dissatisfaction with the 200% is that when I try to do a dummy booking the web site will only show me Q cabins on level 2 or 3 depending on ship. Any one know how I can find out what other interiors are available with out calling my TA when I'm just in the thinking/planning stage? Booked one of the new studios for the Baltics - saved enough for my airfare so worth living in a closet for a port intensive cruise! As for ship revenue I think solos that I have met spend more than some couples who pride themselves on 0 or very small onboard bills.

On the Royal site when it shows the interior staterooms, there is also a line that shows deck plan codes. Hit one of the choices that is not a cat Q.

For the big picture I have found it easier to use one of the large online "Travel" sites that show multiple inside cabin choices. If you see something you like, you can select that category on the royal site.

There have been many threads on the topic of new solo pricing over the past few months. I recently posted my conversation with Mr Goldstein's rep. In addition to the 200% surcharge, I questioned why there are many cabins available for 2 people, but when you enter 1 person they all disappear and all you see are guarantees or lowest category. The rep said this should not be happening and she would check into it. If you have "proof" that is happening, suggest you email the details to Mr Goldstein's office. I also brought up the military discount disappearing for solos, and again she said this was not their policy & she would look into it. So far I haven't found any specific examples, since I am not really searching for RCL cruises since the price increase, but if I find one I will send it to Mr Goldstein's office. There is obviously a disconnect from what RCL home office thinks is happening, and what is actually happening.

RCCL is probably not fond of my spouse and I. On our last cruise with them, after subtracting the daily gratuity charges, I believe our total bill was less than $100 :O

And I'm a solo and my bill was about $3,000.00........so they make judgments about us that are totally wrong......LOL :)

Hello CC family,

The Serenade has the single rooms, there are 3 of them on deck 4 with the cat code SI (One twin bed, vanity area, and a private bathroom. Room accommodates 1 guest. (108 sq. ft.)) and are substantially lower then the 200% upcharges. Not available for all cruises as they sell fast but they exist.

Mike