Can OBC given by Princess be used to pay for gratuities?

SandyAtSea

This will be my first cruise on Princess. I have previously sailed NCL and RCI and on those lines OBC awarded by the cruise line may NOT be used to pay for gratuities once on board. Neither is it refundable should any be left over.

Is this the case on Princess? I booked directly with Princess, not a TA. I have both military OBC and some promo OBC. I will be anytime dining and have not pre-paid my gratuities.

Some Princess OBC says it excludes being used for something's but their automated onboard accounting system does not enforce it. OBC is a simple credit against any debit on your account with no way to determine where it is used. :)

Some Princess OBC says it excludes being used for something's but their automated onboard accounting system does not enforce it. OBC is a simple credit against any debit on your account with no way to determine where it is used. :)

Great! Thank you both.

When we were given OBC back in 2004 for some nice things we said about our Alaskan cruise' date=' I was told I can use to to pay for tips, shore excursions, etc. I just had to tell them to apply it to the following cruise.[/quote']

So Princess will pay for nice comments?:D

I will be anytime dining and have not pre-paid my gratuities.

If you pre-pay gratuities on Princess all you are really doing is giving yourself an OBC. Each person's on board folio starts out with all the OBC's and you will have a credit balance. On board charges will be added, and that balance will eventually turn positive.

This will be my first cruise on Princess. I have previously sailed NCL and RCI and on those lines OBC awarded by the cruise line may NOT be used to pay for gratuities once on board. Neither is it refundable should any be left over.

Is this the case on Princess? I booked directly with Princess, not a TA. I have both military OBC and some promo OBC. I will be anytime dining and have not pre-paid my gratuities.

Yes. Your gratuities will be deducted from your OBC.

Yes it can be used for the gratuities. ;)

• 2 years later...
Military OBC is refundable and may be used for whatever you wish or it will be refunded back to you.

Also, nonrefundable is used FIRST. If you have the amount of military OBC left over in your account at the end of the cruise, Princess will send you a check.

The check looks like junk mail, so be sure to open all envelopes for 2-6 weeks after a cruise to make sure you don't toss it.

If you pre-pay gratuities on Princess all you are really doing is giving yourself an OBC. Each person's on board folio starts out with all the OBC's and you will have a credit balance. On board charges will be added, and that balance will eventually turn positive.

Last cruise in 2016 where we had pre-paid gratuities, the amount paid and the daily gratuity charge never showed up on our folio at all. I have seen others post the same observation. It is not a big issue however since what they giveth they taketh away!

Last cruise in 2016 where we had pre-paid gratuities, the amount paid and the daily gratuity charge never showed up on our folio at all. I have seen others post the same observation. It is not a big issue however since what they giveth they taketh away!

I asked about this and they said since they just cancel each other out that is why they no longer add to the folio. I got nervous since our previous cruise it started negative and then added all the charges - I was worried I had messed something up when I prepaid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I asked about this and they said since they just cancel each other out that is why they no longer add to the folio. I got nervous since our previous cruise it started negative and then added all the charges - I was worried I had messed something up when I prepaid!

That's what ours showed.