What do people REALLY wear at dinner?

Baybear

We just got our documents for an Oceania cruise next month, and throughout the document EVERYONE sitting at a table eating dinner or lunch is wearing a sports jacket! Even though they say "country club casual" and many say "I don't even bring a sports jacket."

So... being retired with nothing really to do except bother you people, I'm looking for some actual photographic proof of people wearing "not sports jackets" at dinner on Oceania ship(s) so I can see what to bring in the way of shirts that will "fit the bill." I have different kinds of short-sleeve and long-sleeve shirts, but don't want to bring too many. The cruise document doesn't help at all since EVERYONE (as I said earlier) is wearing a jacket.

So if someone could "point" me to a post or their picture(s) of people at dinner on an actual Oceania cruise (not a brochure), it would really help me pick out which shirts to bring for our 10-day cruise coming up in Feb 2015.

TIA

My husband and our travel companions wear jackets (no tie) probably 50% of the time and always to the specialty restaurants. That is how THEY are comfortable, but on O, you are free to do what makes you happy. You will fit on either way.

As far as ladies, I can only speak of my own experience. I am more comfortable in a dress and often wear dressy shoes. You will see many Chicos outfits, pantsuits, skirts and/or dresses. I have never seen any gowns, but certainly some more dressier attire. Fitting in is not the problem, it's fitting INTO your clothes after the first few dinners! (I usually bring some larger things for the end of the cruise!)

Whatever you do, ENJOY!

My husband never wore a jacket or tie. He wore slacks and a collared polo shirt or regular shirt as long as it has a collar. You can wear an Hawaiian shirt as long as it has a collar. This is only for the GDR at dinner and the specialties. You can wear shorts and non-collar tops to the Terrace at any time.

I wore dresses for dinner but only because it was warm and they pack into a small ball with no wrinkles. I also wore slacks and tops that I would have worn to work and I worked in a casual business environment in NYC.

If you like dressing up then do so. I like packing light.

My husband never wore a jacket or tie. He wore slacks and a collared polo shirt or regular shirt as long as it has a collar. You can wear an Hawaiian shirt as long as it has a collar. This is only for the GDR at dinner and the specialties. You can wear shorts and non-collar tops to the Terrace at any time.

I wore dresses for dinner but only because it was warm and they pack into a small ball with no wrinkles. I also wore slacks and tops that I would have worn to work and I worked in a casual business environment in NYC.

If you like dressing up then do so. I like packing light.

Agree totally with this.

The casual dress code is what attracted us to Oceania initially all those years ago and kept us loyal to them (together with the great food, wonderful service and enjoyable company of fellow cruisers)

OP here: I "hear" what you're saying and I understand words fairly well, but I'm fashion-challenged and am also a guy so pictures/graphics work better for me than 'explaining.'

So I would feel more sure of myself is someone had a picture of people actually at dinner so I could visually "examine" the shirt types being worn.

You know, I never actually took a picture of folks dining. I have photos of the various dining rooms, and I have photos of the food, and I even have a few photos of some of the smiling servers, but none of the restaurants in use.

There are a couple of reasons for this. First, the food and conversation with friends at dinner is so awesome, I totally forget who or what is around me (probably why I almost never notice what folks are wearing). Second, it's kind of awkward to jump up in the middle of a meal and take photos of fellow guests, some of whom might resent their picture being taken.

The photos you see in the brochures are totally staged with models selected by the PR agency. They are about as real as the models in the Ciala ads. The restaurant is empty when they make their shoots, the entire scene is carefully staged. As someone else remarked, few of us look like the models, and even fewer dress like them or look the same way even if they are wearing the same clothes.

If the PR agency was preparing a brochure for a clothing optional cruise, and the beautiful and handsome models were naked, would you worry about doing the same? The rules are simple, long trousers and a collared shirt for men, for women a dress or skirt/slacks with a "nice" top. Believe them, and wear that or even more if you are comfortable doing so (but not less :rolleyes:).

Having said all that, I searched through 13 Oceania cruises and 2 Regent (same dress code), and found one shot of us and friends at what I think is Toscana, aboard Insignia. Betsy and I are on the right (before our cataract surgeries; we no longer wear glasses), and I think if Gerald and Sheena are looking, they won't mind this photo.

131004.jpg

Edited by hondorner

You know, I never actually took a picture of folks dining. I have photos of the various dining rooms, and I have photos of the food, and I even have a few photos of some of the smiling servers, but none of the restaurants in use.

There are a couple of reasons for this. First, the food and conversation with friends at dinner is so awesome, I totally forget who or what is around me (probably why I almost never notice what folks are wearing). Second, it's kind of awkward to jump up in the middle of a meal and take photos of fellow guests, some of whom might resent their picture being taken.

The photos you see in the brochures are totally staged with models selected by the PR agency. They are about as real as the models in the Ciala ads. The restaurant is empty when they make their shoots, the entire scene is carefully staged. As someone else remarked, few of us look like the models, and even fewer dress like them or look the same way even if they are wearing the same clothes.

If the PR agency was preparing a brochure for a clothing optional cruise, and the beautiful and handsome models were naked, would you worry about doing the same? The rules are simple, long trousers and a collared shirt for men, for women a dress or skirt/slacks with a "nice" top. Believe them, and wear that or even more if you are comfortable doing so (but not less :rolleyes:).

Having said all that, I searched through 13 Oceania cruises and 2 Regent (same dress code), and found one shot of us and friends at what I think is Toscana, aboard Insignia. Betsy and I are on the right (before our cataract surgeries; we no longer wear glasses), and I think if Gerald and Sheena are looking, they won't mind this photo.

131004.jpg

That's exactly what I was looking for... Thanks!...

This was after dinner but people still dress the same for dinner

i-6m9fHdd-M.jpg

As you can see short sleeve or long sleeve shirts or Hawaiian prints are all acceptable

nice slacks... think dockers

OP here: I "hear" what you're saying and I understand words fairly well, but I'm fashion-challenged and am also a guy so pictures/graphics work better for me than 'explaining.'

So I would feel more sure of myself is someone had a picture of people actually at dinner so I could visually "examine" the shirt types being worn.

Take a look at this trip review of the Riviera posted by 'computerworks"

last year http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1829199

He has lots of pictures of people waiting to board, by the pool, at the

Meet and Greet, on excursions. The only place I see more jackets is for the La Reserve Dinner.

CJ

That's exactly what I was looking for... Thanks!...

We were on the Riviera one time when they were doing brochure "photo shoots". These "actors" did not look like any of us on board and you could tell. In a word...marketing. Just go and be comfortable. You are what YOU are.

Plenty of pictures for you to examine.

Here's a link to the Lands End web site for men's button down pattern dress shirts:

http://www.landsend.com/products/mens-tailored-fit-pattern-no-iron-supima-pinpoint-buttondown-dress-shirt/id_242783?sku_0=::XWB

There are ten different patterns for this shirt. Every one of them would do just fine.

Here's a link to some tartan plaid button down long sleeve shirts. Again, just fine.

http://www.landsend.com/products/mens-traditional-fit-no-iron-poplin-dress-shirt/id_275364

Here's a link to the Lands End web site for men's casual, long-sleeve button down shirts:

http://www.landsend.com/shop/mens-casual-button-down-shirts/-/N-fzh?cm_re=nav-_-mens-_-main

Any one of the four shirts in the first row would be just fine.

If you're sailing to warmer climates and if you like to eat outdoors, you'll probably be happiest packing short sleeve shirts. If you like to eat indoors, you'll probably want to wear a long-sleeve shirt. The temps are set quite cool on the air conditioning.

Great thread because it shows the diversity of the "acceptable" on Oceania.

My husband wears a short or long sleeved shirt to dinner. With sweater if it is cold. On "fancy nights" - captain's welcome party etc - he wears a blazer. With or without tie depending on how much I nag him to put a tie on... If you look at my "signature" below you can see for yourself...

We have only done warm weather cruises with Oceania.

Husband's daytime wear: shorts and polo shirt, evening wear: docker type pants and different polo shirt.

My daytime wear: shorts and t-shirt, evening wear: long linen pants and nicer t-shirt + pashmina shawl.

I typically wear a dinner jacket (never a tie) to La Reserve, Polo Grill, and Jacques. Dress Slacks and a collared shirt elsewhere for dinner. Some travelers opt to dress a little more formally at certain of the specialities, as above, where others do not. Some eat all their meals in the Terrace or other outlets where they can wear shorts, tee shirts, and flip flops the entire cruise. Personal choice.

Husband took his navy blue blazer on our first Oceania cruise (which also was our first-ever cruise) way back in 2008. Never has taken a sports jacket with him on a cruise since. On the other hand, he always wears a long-sleeve dress shirt to dinner, what he says is business casual clothing such as he usually wears now to his office.